2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should I realistically ask for off list?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 AM
H-Town
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default How much should I realistically ask for off list?

Hey all...I've been lurking here on and off for several years and spending a ton of time here lately. I'm amazed at what I've already learned.

I'm looking to buy my first Harley this week and my very first brand new bike. I'm looking to purchase a 2015 FLHXS in either Amber Whiskey or Vivid Black.

My question is...how much can I realistically get the dealer to come off of list? The first dealer came down a grand...but I didn't really negotiate. There are several dealers here in Houston and I have no issues checking in Austin or San Antonio for the best deal.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:08 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

First thing have your finances in order, that way the dealer knows your just not a tire kicker. Another words if he makes a deal your happy with your going to take it home today. 1000.00 is a good start, but haw about add on parts you may want, maybe 20% off parts and labor, 1000 mile check up free things like that. Talk to your friends, are they happy with the dealer and his service or not. I would check out maybe two or three of them.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 AM
H-Town
Tourer

Originally Posted by touchdown
First thing have your finances in order, that way the dealer knows your just not a tire kicker. Another words if he makes a deal your happy with your going to take it home today. 1000.00 is a good start, but haw about add on parts you may want, maybe 20% off parts and labor, 1000 mile check up free things like that. Talk to your friends, are they happy with the dealer and his service or not. I would check out maybe two or three of them.
Thanks touchdown. This will be a cash sale...no financing needed. I asked for and got the 1K service but didn't attempt to get the overall price lower. Rideout is currently at 25.5, ideally I'd like that down to at least 24 to 24.5 rideout. Not sure I can get that...but want to try.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:54 AM
Roadglide33
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely get them to drop freight, dealer prep and document fees plus $1k off price should be about right I think...

Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Here is my take on prices - not just for bikes - but for anything (big ticket items).

Regardless of what you pay, someone will come along and say, they paid less - got a better deal.

You have to pay the price that you are comfortable with - make yourself happy. So, first, determine what the bike it worth to you. When making that determination, please make sure you :make the bike your bike". By this I mean, add what you want.

My suggestion, once the bike is chosen, have the dealer lay out all of the prices. At this point, you can expect the dealer to show full price of everything, including labor, install, freight and everything.

Usually around this time the dealer will say he is my price- but I can let you have this for XXXXX, out the door. If you like what you hear, then take the deal. If not, I would recommend this. Make the offer - the the dealer I am willing to pay XXX1/2 right now.

Regardless of what he says, you have to be ready for 2 things. If he meets your price, take the deal. If he does not, PLEASE do not try to negotiate - you have to WALK away. Don't say, let me think about it - no need to say, call me later - no need to mention you think you can get it for a better price somewhere else.

Bottom line - make the deal you want and the one that makes you happy.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Lazy_KP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can save a lot of cash through private sells. Check out the cop glides as well. They are a huge bargain and fun to work on and can be made more custom to your liking.

Got a 2011 FLHTP with 10k miles for 10K cash. Have probably put in 3.5K so far (civilian controls, radio, stage 1, seats, etc). still way cheaper than buying from dealership. You can find a ton of take off parts through this forum as well.

Regardless of what you do congrats. Get ready. HD = Hundred Dollars but worth every penny. 1 harley won't be enough. LOL.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Be sure when you make your offer that you don't put all the cards on the table. When the salesman get's your off, he just passes it off for approval at most places. If the big dog thinks you will finance with them, he knows there is more kick back coming and just may take what appears to be a little low offer. Telling them it's a cash deal is the worst thing these days. They make a heck of of a lot more financing a bike. I signed the paper on the bottom of the last two new cars I have gotten that the salesman said would swing it, listened to the big man and then paid with a check. Best two deals I have ever done. The last one, the big man was a little flustered and tried to take back a free 5 year extended warranty that they had offered. Problem was he had forgot it was in writing on the paper I signed. The dealership owner honored it and gave it to me. However, this has only worked on cars. I have yet to swing what I called any where near a fair deal from the two dealers in my area. They usually want 3-5 K above book. So last 3 bikes I have got were used by individuals

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-14-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,586 Likes on 3,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadglide33
Definitely get them to drop freight, dealer prep and document fees plus $1k off price should be about right I think...
You can get the freight and prep fees dropped. I've never been able to get the doc fees dropped at any dealer, for any vehicle. At least in Iowa, if they don't charge me the fee, the Department of Transportation can come back on the dealer and make them refund the doc fees to everyone they ever charged it to.

That being said, they can reduce the vehicle price by the amount of the doc fee and still show it as a line item on the purchase agreement.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Walk in with a blank check. If they don't agree with your number, take your check and walk away. I think realistically since it is still fairly early in the '15 model year you won't get a ton off of the sticker. But there is no reason the dealer can't knock off off a little, the setup fee, and throw in the 1000k service (since it's mostly labor). If not, is there another dealer near by? Sometimes telling them you are going to see what the other dealer can do is enough for them to give in as long as it's realistic. Offering to finance may help as well since interest is profit for HD. When the first payment is due, pay it off. Just make sure the amount you save exceeds the first month's interest.

Last edited by mwegryn; 03-14-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 AM
H-Town
Tourer

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Can't wait to finally have one of my own. It will remain stock for a bit...but that's ok by me. I just want to have something to ride.

Quick Reply: How much should I realistically ask for off list?