Sponsored by:

I sent an info request to Vance & Hines

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts
Default I sent an info request to Vance & Hines

about installing an FP3 on a stone stock '14 Limited. No A/C or exhaust mods. For those who may be interested here is their reply:

Yes, we do have a map for the stock set up. This will get the bike out of the lean condition it comes from H-D. There is also the Throttle Progressivity to remove the throttle lag caused by the fly-by-wire throttle. IF you have any other questions please let us know.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:09 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same Experience

I was not inquiring about the tuner but a full exhaust system, I also sent out 3 others to competitors. I had specific questions on my list of 3 priorities. The VH took 2 days to get back and was an apparent canned answer or they did not read the questions.

I know they make a good and some of the most popular exhaust systems. No doubt good stuff. But they answered little of my questions.

I got a couple back in a reasonable time a few hours with apparent thought in their response to my questions.

Rush got back with me in a very quick fashion with detail and other close options.

I am not knocking VH but that was my experience. I have not got the bike yet as it was special ordered and the Rush system is waiting at the dealer, paid for.

I hope you get a better response if you try again.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtucson
I hope you get a better response if you try again.

I thought the response was fine, they answered the questions I asked which were do you have a map for a stone stock bike and does it relieve EPA lean condition. The bit about the throttle response improvement was a bonus, though I can't say I have an issue with the throttle response as it is.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

V&H is misinformed or their employee is FOS. There is no lag from the drive by wire throttle that I can see, and I doubt if their map make the afr richer since the one from Harley is 13.5-13.7 which is about normal for a tune at sea level. If I am misinformed please someone jime in.
subscribed:

Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the FP3 on my 14SGS. Very happy,have had several back and fourth with V&H tech and they are to the point. Don't know about AF ratio for stock set up. However I do know there is a lag in throttle. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't adjusted mine. Buddy has a 14SGS also,stock except for slip ons. We have swapped rides and it is noticeable right away. As you ride it's not so Obvious you get used to the standard setup. He has since done the stage one after riding mine and adjusted his throttle progressivity.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

I always have good luck by just calling them. Just easier for me to talk to someone instead of trading emails back and forth.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would there be any power gain by installing the FP3 on a stock bike or would it only change the afr?

In stock form, it feels like my 2015 RK has more power than the 2009 RG had and it had PC5, A/C, and slip-ons.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

I must be one of the lucky ones because my bike don't have no lag. Runs like a scalded ape.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

While I don't know the details, its possible there is a progressive feature in the throttle response but lag isn't the word for it. Many metric bikes have this - I had a Yamaha Super Tenere that the TBW was progressive in that at certain speeds, WOT on the grip would not result in a WOT response. However, that bike DID have some serious LAG that manifests itself in a way that feels like excessive drive line lash that makes it very difficult to make small, low speed/low rpm inputs. This is something that HD has nailed - never ever happens, the Japanese could learn a thing or two about TBW from HD.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtucson
...I hope you get a better response if you try again.
Looks like V&H isn't the only one who can't read.

At any rate, the FP3 has other features like idle and rev limiter adjustment, horsepower estimate, MPG, and it also DOES take care of the sloppy throttle response. Yes, your TBW bike has a sloppy/slow throttle, whether you think it does or not.
http://video.vanceandhines.com/fuelp...ssivity-guide/

Last edited by 06SGWA; 03-14-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: I sent an info request to Vance & Hines