Sponsored by:

Infotainment GPS routing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:41 AM
mitchflhx
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Infotainment GPS routing

I created a route from my condo in Orlando to Daytona Beach (back roads). After importing the route, and letting it calculate the route I looked for a way to reverse the route, could not find any option for this. I did find an option for round trip, but was not sure if this was it. There is also an option for reorder way points ( I can see that being a problem). Yes I know I could have created another route in Ride Planner, or Base Camp but thought that should be a very basic option.
( on my soap box ) Just for the record I am a loyal supporter of Harley and their products. I stopped by the Harley tent to talk to the experts, no one there could help. I find it very problematic that no one from Harley could help, or at one of the biggest motorcycle rallies in the world they did not have someone there to help.
I was told that two people from Harmin ( developers of the infotainment system , this directly from a Harley employee) where there earlier but left. I was told that they subcontracted the GPS to someone else) so I am not sure they could have helped. ( off my soap box )
Is there anyone out there that knows how, or has done this?

Thanks, Mitch

Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM
bobby4orr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately Harley took a huge jump backwards into the dark ages of GPS.

Sadly I found this out today when I spoke with a company that develops mapping software for Garmin units. The new Harley GPS was deemed "not commercially suitable" by the company. They have a whole range of tours ready for purchase and download to the Garmin Zumo units. I was going to buy the Route 66 software but it cannot be made to run on the "new" Harley system. So the system is lacking in most all bells and whistles that you are looking for.

Another issue that I have with the Harley system is that the database is already two years old. Also, there are no lifetime updates like the Garmin units. If I want to update the database it will cost me $149.00 everytime that I choose to update. I believe that the CVO updates are $159.00 and you will be limited to 3 updates in a five year period.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:02 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby4orr
... They have a whole range of tours ready for purchase and download to the Garmin Zumo units. I was going to buy the Route 66 software but it cannot be made to run on the "new" Harley system. ...
Can you share a link to the company providing these routes?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:20 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchflhx
I created a route from my condo in Orlando to Daytona Beach (back roads). After importing the route, and letting it calculate the route I looked for a way to reverse the route, could not find any option for this. I did find an option for round trip, but was not sure if this was it. There is also an option for reorder way points ( I can see that being a problem). Yes I know I could have created another route in Ride Planner, or Base Camp but thought that should be a very basic option.
( on my soap box ) Just for the record I am a loyal supporter of Harley and their products. I stopped by the Harley tent to talk to the experts, no one there could help. I find it very problematic that no one from Harley could help, or at one of the biggest motorcycle rallies in the world they did not have someone there to help.
I was told that two people from Harmin ( developers of the infotainment system , this directly from a Harley employee) where there earlier but left. I was told that they subcontracted the GPS to someone else) so I am not sure they could have helped. ( off my soap box )
Is there anyone out there that knows how, or has done this?

Thanks, Mitch

Round trip will do what you want. Or, you can use Ride Planner or Tyre to create a route to go there and another to go back.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Unfortunately Harley took a huge jump backwards into the dark ages of GPS.

Sadly I found this out today when I spoke with a company that develops mapping software for Garmin units. The new Harley GPS was deemed "not commercially suitable" by the company. They have a whole range of tours ready for purchase and download to the Garmin Zumo units. I was going to buy the Route 66 software but it cannot be made to run on the "new" Harley system. So the system is lacking in most all bells and whistles that you are looking for.

Another issue that I have with the Harley system is that the database is already two years old. Also, there are no lifetime updates like the Garmin units. If I want to update the database it will cost me $149.00 everytime that I choose to update. I believe that the CVO updates are $159.00 and you will be limited to 3 updates in a five year period.

Wishing you the best of luck.
What company are you talking about? I have downloaded a couple pre-programmed tracks that ran on my Zumo 665 and they work just fine on the Boom. My guess is that HD will be adding more and more features to their nav as time goes on.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM
fltrxcrzy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
What company are you talking about? I have downloaded a couple pre-programmed tracks that ran on my Zumo 665 and they work just fine on the Boom. My guess is that HD will be adding more and more features to their nav as time goes on.
Agreed. I have made about 20 routes now. The HD boom navi reads all information just as long as its formatted in gpx files. Yes. Alot of trial and error, but I have it down to an accurate science now using HD Ride Planner or Google Maps. Then copy it over to Tyre mapping for labeling waypoints to checking waypoint accuracy. Then I do a final check and clean save on Garmins Mapsource Program.

Only high end GPS units hold 100 waypoints like these HD boom units do. Heck, my Ford FX4 Sync navi only holds a maximum of approx. 2-3 waypoints and can only be remotely imputed one waypoint at time.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM
bobby4orr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The programs use files other than gpx and according to Harley are not compatible. They are gma, gpi, and unl files.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

The programs use files other than gpx and according to Harley are not compatible. They are gma, gpi, and unl files.
I'm confused. What programs? What company? Can you be a little more specific on what you tried to do, what company told you what? With a gpi file, I think you are talking about the Garmin point of interest. Yes, there are issues with Boom and importing your own poi files. If you use the garmin boom navi extras software, you can see that there is the ability to add your own poi to boom but right now, boom doesn't seem to accept them.

Remember though that the navigation is built upon Garmin and I would expect that with the relationship HD has with Garmin for the Zumo and Boom, there will be tight integration soon to come.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Basecamp for creating a route and exporting to a gpx, and it always works perfect on the Boom GPS. I haven't used round trip, as I always map the entire route in Basecamp beforehand, and have never had an issue, even when using multiple waypoints. All in all, I am very happy with the bike's GPS - once I learned how to use Basecamp and how to import correctly to the GPS, it's been great. I've always used Garmin GPS's in the past in my cars and bikes, and still do in the cars, but have found no fault in the Infotainment GPS.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 PM
black n white
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question about points of interest. My road tech 660 had points like old historic places, such as bridges, mills, battlefields, and such in our area. My boom gps does not seem to have these. I have searched the categories and can't find anything. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Infotainment GPS routing