Sponsored by:

Cell & Voice Without Helmet Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Breeze
OK cool...like I say, I'm a newb on this tech stuff. I think the PTT is for CB and intercom use between rider and passenger. 95% of the time I' m solo anyway, but as age has taken it's toll on my hearing.....MIGHT want to hear the wife on long rides. Just can't stand wearing a headset.
Yes, that's the PTT/intercom button and where the VOX comes in to play. I have a mixed riding style. I use my bike for day to day and work. When it's nice, I don't wear a helmet. My wife has a RK and we ride together. Most of the times, we don't wear helmets but when we do we use our Sena to talk. Then, she will also ride 2-up with me sometimes and then just yell at each other.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just extremely pleased to learn of another option. My ride to work is 35 miles one way. Since I'm also "on call", your solution will at least let me answer the phone, tell them I'll call back when I pull over, and keep from wearing the lasso to my helmet. Works for me! Thanks for posting!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:49 PM
oldpanzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a throat Mike is the only long term answer for talking at higher speeds and noise.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldpanzer
I think a throat Mike is the only long term answer for talking at higher speeds and noise.
That may be true and as always ...."to each his own"....but for me...that's not an option....just can't stand riding with it, but that's me.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Fantastic idea! Do you need the door open for the mic to work or can you keep it shut?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool. Thanks for doing the grunt work for the rest of us!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
Fantastic idea! Do you need the door open for the mic to work or can you keep it shut?
Yes you do. You could route it outside of the fairing so you don't have to. One guy I know drilled a hole in the left glove box area and mounted his there.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Yes you do. You could route it outside of the fairing so you don't have to. One guy I know drilled a hole in the left glove box area and mounted his there.
Curious.... did that guy just run the mic outside the fake glove box?
Or did he mount the receptacle there as it would be on a SG, and have another way to hold the mic in socket, without a ball of wires showing.

Do you know if it was an improvement in clarity over your method?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mister Breeze
Curious.... did that guy just run the mic outside the fake glove box?
Or did he mount the receptacle there as it would be on a SG, and have another way to hold the mic in socket, without a ball of wires showing.

Do you know if it was an improvement in clarity over your method?

Thanks!
He removed the outlet and replaced it with the mic. The only thing showing is the microphone and the foam cover.

the first time I mounted mine, I stuck it between the fairing and underneath my windshield bag. It was the same mounted there as it was in the box. That is why I moved it to the box. Since there wasn't an improvement, I didn't want the mic out showing and in the weather.

the thread is over at www.cvoharley.com but their site seems to be down right now. I'll find the picture and link it here.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

This is all good info....glad to see others have experimented and willing to share. Seems like your solution is the best of both worlds. If there's no real improvement, being out in the open, then hidden would be best. Pop open the door when needed, and no unsightly crap hanging out. Added bonus is to still use the tank socket with another headset if wanted. I've got four headsets, so I can experiment too. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cell & Voice Without Helmet Mod