2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here own a J&M or EdSets headset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone here own a J&M or EdSets headset?

i'm having a hard time deciding between these two headsets for my ultra. i've been reading a lot of reviews, but they are all mixed. some like the J&M elite 787 mic better, some like the EdSets 3G speakers better...so, i'm not sure which to go with. it's pretty pricey to just take a chance on, so i don't want to waste my money. anyone here own either? and do you like them?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:24 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

I can't compare. I purchased the 787's pre-mounted in Vega shorty helmet. Fit and function are great. I've had no problems with CB bike-to-bike or phone calls. Haven't tried intercom yet. Music sounds fine with the Ultra's infotainment system. Very comfortable helmet and the mounted mic and earphones don't detract from the comfort.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

I had a J&M headsets on my Royal Star Venture. I thought they worked very well.

My Limited came with a Harley headset. The mic works very well according to those on the other end of phone calls, intercom and CB. I'm not thrilled with the speaker output though, when I turn them up high enough to get the volume I want they get buzzy, The cable disconnect at the helmet end could be more secure also IMO, but as long as I check the connection each time I put my helmet on they are OK. I bought a second set for wife when I got the bike. If I had to do it again I would not have bothered buying the second Harley set, bought a J&M for myself and given the Harley set to my wife (who has much better hearing than I and doesn't have to run at nearly full volume.)

Old 03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Stinkboater
Advanced

I have had at least 15 J&M head sets over the years and they only get better. If you purchase J&M get the lower cord with the ear bud connection. Use ear buds and you will never go back to speakers. I use the molded, but you can get small ones that work really well. I always pass the headset that comes with the bike to the buyer when I sell.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I found EdSets a little over a year ago, while looking for helmet speakers. I mounted their 3G speakers and boom microphone in my Shoei Neotec helmet. The only downside I saw was that EdSets requires a small connection unit to be mounted to the outside base of the helmet. I used the provided pressure sensitive adhesive (double-sided tape) to affix it. A year in and 15,000 miles later, still all good with mounting, and I don't notice it being there at all.

A coiled cable is provided to tether between the helmet connection and HD tank connection. A useful feature I use is a quick disconnector about 12 inches down from the top of the cable. You can quickly disconnect from your bike there, instead of at the tank, so if you leave your helmet on during a quick get-off, you don't have the long cable dangling below your waist. The connection unit will also take a single pin connector so you can hard wire an iPod, GPS or other device if you want. I use the Boombox for all of that so haven't needed it much.

I generally where ear plugs, sometimes fitted but frequently just foam cheapies. While researching EdSets, I read somewhere that the the 3G speakers were designed with ear plug wearers in mind. So, I've tried the speakers both ways: ear plugs in and out. They work quite well without ear plugs. However, when I dial up the volume while wearing the ear plugs, I get no noticeable distortion and find it more pleasant with ear plugs in knocking down the ambient air/road noise in my helmet while the music comes in fine.

Telephone and intercom communications over the boom mic have been clear, both for me, and the caller or passenger. I can't compare to other options, but at least for me, I've been happy with EdSets.