Another Infotainment Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 PM
lwowings
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Infotainment Question

Hi All,

First, I searched the Rushmore section and couldn't find an answer to the question/issue I'm encountering.

2014 SGS w/ Boom 6.5. 16GB Sony MP3 player hooked to USB. Music is all that's on it. Folders are band/group/artist and individual album(s) in that folder. Nothing else.

I use the "Find" feature of the infotainment system to browse bands and select new music. When I select "Find," I use "Artist" and scroll through the alphabetical list to select a new artist and then the album under that.

What I noticed after a few weeks of using it is that I wasn't seeing nearly all of my bands/groups and after paying closer attention, it appears that the search function under "Artist" in the Boom system is looking at the "contributing artist" portion of the MP3 information and not the "album artist" portion. I attached an example of the information from one of my albums, BUT it doesn't have different "album artist" and "contributing artist," so it shows up normally on my system. I have a ton of albums where contributing artists are listed in that field.

Is there any way to get the Boom system to search for the information in the "album artist" field and not the "contributing artist" field?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Another Infotainment Question-5_usb_find_im_1.jpg   Another Infotainment Question-example.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Doehead
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best advice I can give is to visit www.lawabidingbiker.com. wealth of info from this website. Ryan is on top of all the infotianment system. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lwowings
Hi All,

First, I searched the Rushmore section and couldn't find an answer to the question/issue I'm encountering.

2014 SGS w/ Boom 6.5. 16GB Sony MP3 player hooked to USB. Music is all that's on it. Folders are band/group/artist and individual album(s) in that folder. Nothing else.

I use the "Find" feature of the infotainment system to browse bands and select new music. When I select "Find," I use "Artist" and scroll through the alphabetical list to select a new artist and then the album under that.

What I noticed after a few weeks of using it is that I wasn't seeing nearly all of my bands/groups and after paying closer attention, it appears that the search function under "Artist" in the Boom system is looking at the "contributing artist" portion of the MP3 information and not the "album artist" portion. I attached an example of the information from one of my albums, BUT it doesn't have different "album artist" and "contributing artist," so it shows up normally on my system. I have a ton of albums where contributing artists are listed in that field.

Is there any way to get the Boom system to search for the information in the "album artist" field and not the "contributing artist" field?

Thanks
My only suggestion would be to try it with just a USB stick. I think plugging in an MP3 player would be redundant and maybe screwing with the system. Just give it a shot and see if all the songs show up then.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That's intersting and I have not encountered this on mine. I have about 500 songs on a USB stick and they seem to appear when I do various searches. I'll have to try and duplicate. A couple things that do come to mind though:

Are you sure the id3 tags are correctly set up?
If a song name starts with something other than a number or letter, Boom seems to not like it. For exampl, I had a song ....One that Boom could never find. Once I got rid of the ..., it was just fine.

I'll mess with my system on Tuesday and see what I can figure out.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

It may be related to how you have your file tag info set up. I suggest you use a program like Tag Scanner to rearrange your file tag info. I'm attaching a screenshot of that program.

Also, follow the previous suggestion to simply use a FAT formatted USB stick for your music. I have my music arranged on my USB in the file structure example I've attached. I have no difficulties finding/playing anything on my USB stick.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Another Infotainment Question-screenshot_2.jpg   Another Infotainment Question-screenshot_4.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 AM
kh24
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've literally just dragged songs and albums onto the thumb drive and the infotainment has sorted it accordingly. A thumb drive is so cheap. Just drag and drop the stuff on there and you are good to go

Old 03-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have 1,800 songs on a USB drive just dragged and dropped from iTunes. No sorting, no folders and everything works fine. I also my iPhone with the same success.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 AM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to drag music to a thumb drive from iTunes before but I only get text. Can you help me out? I'm using a PC, not a Mac.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I tried to drag music to a thumb drive from iTunes before but I only get text. Can you help me out? I'm using a PC, not a Mac.
You can't drag from iTunes. Go into the folder on your PC where the music is stored. You can drag them from there to the USB.

I just use Windows Media Player to sync my music to my USB stick. I got rid of my iPhone and iTunes a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:18 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Dogg80
You can't drag from iTunes. Go into the folder on your PC where the music is stored. You can drag them from there to the USB.

I just use Windows Media Player to sync my music to my USB stick. I got rid of my iPhone and iTunes a few years ago and haven't looked back since.
iTunes also uses DRM (Digital Rights Management) so look out there. Every MP3 is encoded with your appleID if you imported them in - or if you bought them off the iTunes store.

That being said - I typically purchase the CD's and then rip them to a separate folder on my Mac then transfer them to a USB stick so they are DRM free. I also import said folder into my iTunes so I can have them in my library.

Quick Reply: Another Infotainment Question