Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets N' Things....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

I have an Akoury AK-88, works good and it doesn't have that mushroom head look.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I wear a helmet, normally fullface Arai XD4. Huge eyeport, and excellent venting. Without faceshield, almost feels like a 3/4. It does have more wind noise than many street helmets. Sometimes will wear a Simpson shorty, to keep sun off my dome. When I lived in a helmet law state, often wore 3/4, but not so much anymore.

If wanting to secure helmet to the bike, I'll hang it on right front turn signal, running a cable type lock around fork tube through helmet. I use a gun lock, but it is a little short, making it clumsy. I've considered making a small angle bracket, with small padlock, and bolt behind the turn signal bracket. That would be easiest way to lock my helmet.

Honestly, I don't feel compelled often enough to lock it and bother with that. Often I leave it on right grip. If worried about it, I carry it. If wet weather, and I have the rear rack on, I've also used the gun lock to lock it to the rear rack. Even though the rack is easy to steal too.

You can buy a helmet lock to bolt to saddlebag guard, front crash bar or frame. Don't have saddlebag guards, I removed the crash bar, so those won't work for me. The ones on the frame, I've only seen in chrome, which I don't like against black frame.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the original HJC CL Max that I ride with right now and it has been a very good helmet. I am a fan of the modular helmets and am looking to replace my nearly 7 year old helmet. There are 5 I am considering ranging in price from upper $100's to plus $700 (HJC IS Max II, HJC SyMax 3, Nolan N104, Shoei Neotech, Schuberth C3 Pro) just need to make up my mind.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I have 3/4 helmets. We leave them sit on the seat. During winter I start wearing a full face when the temp. drops below 28 deg. I stop riding when salt is applied to the streets.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1/2 helmet on local rides. Full face Shoei when touring (though I still pack the half helmet).

Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 PM
MidniteXpres
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for your inputs. I'm running out of room from all my helmets. Half, 3/4 Jet, Full-Face Arai (from my sport bike days), Simpsons Bandit for the look to go with the protection on long rides...... I agree with most of you who leave helmets on the bikes when stopping for a short while. Besides theft, I tend to worry more about somebody bumping/knocking down my helmet off my bike too.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

If I am worried about leaving my helmet on my bike I use a thin cable with padlock, but if in Japan you can 99% leave a helmet on your bike unlocked and it'll be there untouched when you come back, great thing about Japan.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 AM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

You can stop by any police station and get a free gun cable lock. They are small and would work great to secure your helmet to your bike.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Cembo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my Schuberth C3 when temperatures drop to mid 30's - excellent helmet in every possible aspect as long as it fits your head. Other than that, I choose on of my five Bell Custom 500's - great for summer rides. Never really worried about someone stealing a helmet so I leave it on the bike 99% of the time - some responses make me wonder if I am too naive or just believe in the good within people...

Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 AM
CQ-HarleyRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally wear a 1/2 lid no matter what type of riding I do.

I do have a second helmet in the way of a Shark Evoline 3, I find it rather painful after an hour though.

The better half has a Shark Evoline as well, we can fit both in the top box at a squeeze.

Quick Reply: Helmets N' Things....