Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Unless you misunderstood the rep, sounds like the Dunlop rep didn't know his own product. The stock 2014 Harley touring tires along with the American Elite's have the dual (multi-tread) compound in the rear tires only.
I believe you. But no I did not misunderstand him because after he mentioned that I asked him if he was sure? He "confirmed" OEM Dunlops did not have dual tread compound and American Elites did.
And yes I can see why they wouldn't want to put a harder compound on the sides of front tires (where they wear most).

Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Not sure if it applies to Rushmore models but I ran MC II on my 07 UC and absolutely best handling tires next to Pirelli N D which had very short life.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 AM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the question is if I switch to the mc II should I change both ? my front tire is like brand new

Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDUDA
I guess the question is if I switch to the mc II should I change both ? my front tire is like brand new
Same here but I'm going to change both. And get full benefit of the better traction and handling. Just good practice like brakes, if changing one..change all.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
In addition to the stock tires that come on Harley's Tourers Dunlop also makes an improved version; American Elite which has dual compound. They can be purchased through independents and on-line tire discounters for considerably less than most dealers charge for the OEM Dunlops.
The American Elites are a MUCH better tire than the OEM Dunlops. On all of my touring bikes, all of the OEM Dunlops started noticeably cupping around 8k miles, despite careful tire pressure monitoring. In each case I replaced them with American Elites and had no cupping issues. On my '14 Limited, I now have over 15k miles on the Elites with no cupping and plenty of tread life left. I highly recommend the Elites.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Same here but I'm going to change both. And get full benefit of the better traction and handling. Just good practice like brakes, if changing one..change all.
+1 ... I always change my tires in sets

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 20k miles on MCII's on the ultra I just traded in. I had 4/32 left on the rear and 6/32 on the front. This is a remarkable tire. I bought American Elites for and aft and are in my garage ready to mount after I run down these 407's stock tires on my new 2015 limited.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
I have over 20k miles on MCII's on the ultra I just traded in. I had 4/32 left on the rear and 6/32 on the front. This is a remarkable tire. I bought American Elites for and aft and are in my garage ready to mount after I run down these 407's stock tires on my new 2015 limited.

why did you not go back to the mc II ?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:53 AM
KCHD1
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Dunlop rep at the motorcycle show told me their American Elite's were dual compound but the OEM tires were not. But I just looked on my RK and they're D407T, is that what the "T" means?
Someone is full of "Crap" here it is either the Dunlop Rep. or HD because I just went to HD website and under Key Features it states the 2014 Road King comes standard with dual compound tires! I am wondering if that is not true on the Kings with wire wheels and whitewalls, you know the ones that are left over from the Road King Classics. My King has aluminum wheels and dual compound tires. Here is the link look under "Confidence"" .http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/motorcycles/2014-motorcycles/touring/road-king.html#!key-features

Last edited by KCHD1; 02-25-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by KCHD1
Someone is full of "Crap" here it is either the Dunlop Rep. or HD because I just went to HD website and .....
I believe it is the Dunlop rep at the show. Perhaps that was the case a few years ago when American Elites first came out but no longer.

Quick Reply: tires