2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a Cam Plate? What does it do and how does it help oiling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What is a Cam Plate? What does it do and how does it help oiling?

What is a Cam Plate? What does it do and how does it help oiling? My Harley Tech suggested a Cam Plate for my 110 on my 14 Limited CVO. He said they have an oiling problem at high rpm's & heat level and that the CAM plate would help.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
What is a Cam Plate? What does it do and how does it help oiling? My Harley Tech suggested a Cam Plate for my 110 on my 14 Limited CVO. He said they have an oiling problem at high rpm's & heat level and that the CAM plate would help.
It's the outer support for the cams, gears, timing chained and tensioners. The inner support bearings are in the case. The new plates do not use bearings as the older twin cams. The oil pump drives off the crank and is bolted to the back of the plate with the relief valve built into the plate. I'm not sure but the SE plate..relief valve maybe adjustable and the stock not, that would be the only thing I could think of as an advantage. The SE plate may have bearings and the stock only act as bushing.
Hopefully a pro will chime in, I replaced my cams a few weeks ago, that's the only reason I know anything at all about it. Word up thou if you replace the plate it a perfect time to replace cams :-)

Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

It only has 30k on it. Are the Stock Cam's on the CVO not good enough?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If HD is having an oiling problem, wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Or is he just trying up sell you something you don't really need?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

At this time I know of no oiling problem. But the Tech said that's what it looked like. He first said maybe I was not changing the oil often enough. I change it every 3k and the oil in it had less than 3k on it. He then suggested I was putting cheap oil in it. That is not the case I use the HD Synthetic. He said it looked old and black, perhaps becase it was getting too hot because of the way I ride it and suggested the Cam Plate. They are doing this under warranty, but I would like to keep it from happening because this Bike is my cheif transportation. It's not a week end warrior or garage queen. That's why I have 30 on a bike I bought last June.

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-16-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skybox ed
thank god for the warranty!!! On my way to dealership today to drop e off my 14 limited for the 3 time for a cb repair, came to a stoplight half mile away and my bike would not idle. 300- 2500 rpm. I could hold the throttle @ 2k and it would be fine. Pulled up to dealership and it died. Started it up and pulled in service bay. Figured it was a loose battery terminal (had the same symptoms on previous bike). 30mins after i got home i got the call. When they started it, awful noise and only had 4psi oil pressure. ...
. .............. .......................... ............................ ................... ................

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-16-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

. .............. .......................... ............................ ................... ................
Humm, maybe.. I had sent you a message.