2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Feel Their LOYALTY To Your Local Dealer Is Not Appreciated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone Else Feel Your LOYALTY To Your Local Dealer Is Not Appreciated?

Would love to hear some feedback from other Forum Members regarding this subject. I am looking at purchasing two chrome enforcer wheels as well as a black front end kit for my 2014 Street Glide. I went up to my dealer yesterday and the best they could do for me is 10% off. I respect the business and understand the dealer has to make money BUT after purchasing 3 brand new bikes from them in 5 years as well as lots of money on new parts I was hoping to get a better deal. Right now I can order from Surdyke and save 20% as well as no tax and no shipping which would save me hundreds compared to the dealership. If Surdyke can offer me a deal like this (without me not buying 3 motorcycles from them) how can't my dealer give me a better deal? I've read on some threads that some have dealers who do give them 20% off at times (or all the time). Is my dealer just being a cheap a** or am I being irrational? I just feel loyalty should be rewarded a little when it comes to making large purchases (not every purchase but the larger ones). If my dealer were to give me a good deal then I would continue to pour money into their establishment but when I feel my loyalty is not recognized or not appreciated it literally rubs me the wrong way. Anxious to hear from others how their local dealers treat them as loyal customers.

Last edited by GoGetter5832; 02-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
D4691
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to go where you get the best deal. I do like some dealerships over others, but that's about it.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no loyalty to any dealer. I ordered like 2k in extras when I bought my bike and to think the parts guy would call me to tell me my stuff is in? Never happened. Therefore last money spent there. Online shopping works for me. Don't have to listen to any sales pitch or you need this or don't need that. Very hard to find a "good dealer".

Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

I'm sure that all the dealers are great people ... now if they could only get competent help for the minimum wage that they pay .

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno, I have two dealers I do business with. Dudley Perkins in SSF, and McGuire in Walnut Creek. Both in the Bay Area.

Both literally bend over backwards for me, on everything. Parts, Service, new Harley. They are literally the *NICEST* dealerships I have ever seen or been in - and they talk to me *BY NAME* when I am there.

McGuire wins hands down on service every time. I once broke a fuel line - on a Saturday at 12 noon and they took me into service right then and there, just rolled it in and said go to lunch. By 2pm it was done and I was out riding again!

Cost me $180 and I was completely blown away. Not only that - but they washed and polished my bike!!! I'm like NO WAY!!! So yeah, they won me over for *life*.

Dudley is excellent as well. I buy ALL my parts from them - even though I could get it cheaper on the net somewhere else. They answer a lot of questions, are very knowledgeable (I just had a 20 minute conversation about synthetic oil with one parts person - and it was very eye opening).

So - yeah. I feel it for both the dealerships I go to.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no problem with my dealer, if I want a cheaper price it's up to me to ask and if they can't do it, I can go someplace else or online to buy.
They have always treated me good.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default dealer loyalty

Just tell them that you can get a better deal elsewhere but you wanted to give them an opportunity to match the price. If they don't you can still go elsewhere but I'd be a beer that they will. They have plenty of room to still make a profit at 20% off.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

At least you were offered the 10%. I have purchased two brand-new motorcycle from my local dealership and get 0%. I honestly feel your pain. I can't figure them out to save my life. My best friend could not buy a bike at our local dealership over a lousy $250. They charge more than that for the oil change.I will never forget when I went to them with an entire list before I left for Daytona bike week, and ask them what they can do for me With the entire list of parts? Departs clerk said retail. I asked to speak with the manager, he came out and told me the same thing. I explained him that I can get 20% off, free shipping and no sales tax but wanted to spend my money locally and he refused completely.I have been using SurDyke, Chicago Harley Davidson, and new castle Harley Davidson because of this. Good luck in your decision, mine was easy when I left thousands in my pocket

Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
obxmidgett
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealership is only about 15 minutes from my house. All they will do on purchases is 10% off. I started dealing with another dealership about 60 miles away (Southside Harley Davidson). They have a monthly open house where you can get 20% off and sometimes even better on purchases. They call me by my first name and every person you come in contact with will shake my hand every time I go in there. I have purchased two bikes from them and thousands on parts. I tell everyone I meet to deal with them. Great Dealership

Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by londo-cat
I dunno, I have two dealers I do business with. Dudley Perkins in SSF, and McGuire in Walnut Creek. Both in the Bay Area. Both literally bend over backwards for me, on everything. Parts, Service, new Harley. They are literally the *NICEST* dealerships I have ever seen or been in - and they talk to me *BY NAME* when I am there. McGuire wins hands down on service every time. I once broke a fuel line - on a Saturday at 12 noon and they took me into service right then and there, just rolled it in and said go to lunch. By 2pm it was done and I was out riding again! Cost me $180 and I was completely blown away. Not only that - but they washed and polished my bike!!! I'm like NO WAY!!! So yeah, they won me over for *life*. Dudley is excellent as well. I buy ALL my parts from them - even though I could get it cheaper on the net somewhere else. They answer a lot of questions, are very knowledgeable (I just had a 20 minute conversation about synthetic oil with one parts person - and it was very eye opening). So - yeah. I feel it for both the dealerships I go to.
Perfect example. Your McGuire dealership over delivered for you so they have you for life. Wish my local dealer had this mindset

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Feel Their LOYALTY To Your Local Dealer Is Not Appreciated?