High Idle on 15 limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 PM
ducatidesmo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Idle on 15 limited

Hi all,

Have a high idle issue. Had that problem with my 13 street glide, it looks like the idle reset doesn't work the same as the systems in the past.

is there a end user procedure on the 14+?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:35 AM
ducatidesmo
Cruiser

So... I'm assuming this is a mechanical issue since there are no responses?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Pewter
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a reset procedure for the Rushmores, including for if you have switched the bike off before releasing the throttle fully. I'm not sure but it may be by switching off then turning the ignition on and off three times, each time letting the bike sort of boot up.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the kill switch on and had off the throttle, cycle the ignition on/off 4 times allowing it to come up all the way each time. That should reset it for you. As mentioned, this can happen if shut down when not at full low idle.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like the same procedure as my 2009 SG. If you shut it off and have the throttle cracked a bit, it will idle at that throttle position at next startup. Cycling the ignition switch 3-4 times(don't remember number) will reset the TPS

Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM
ssggeog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problem with my 15 CVO Streetglide. TBW was replaced.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM
ducatidesmo
Cruiser

Yep it was the same thing as on my 13, switched the run/kill switch a few time, then cycled ignition. did it 3 or for times, and Idle is back to normal.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This discussion proves I am not crazy and was helpful.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me yesterday but I could calm the idle by rolling the throttle forward. However, it would jump up again when released. I tore it all apart, didn't find anything binding or out of place, put it back together and it worked fine. Still a little stumped. If the situation you guys mentioned above is the case (shutting down when at partial throttle) would rolling the throttle forward cure it temporarily?

Last edited by 06SGWA; 03-03-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
This happened to me yesterday but I could calm the idle by rolling the throttle forward. However, it would jump up again when released. I tore it all apart, didn't find anything binding or out of place, put it back together and it worked fine. Still a little stumped. If the situation you guys mentioned above is the case (shutting down when at partial throttle) would rolling the throttle forward cure it temporarily?

Not really sure why you would take the grip area apart, when normally if there is any type of binding, you can feel it in the grip and this is usually due to changing something in the area. The problem a lot of the time is found to be the clamp is pulled just a little taut, and fixed by backing off the clamp and relieving the tension on the grip. This is normally felt when twisting the throttle or when releasing the throttle and it holds that rpm longer or just takes longer than normal to idle. So, I don't really see the benefit of the "temporary fix" of rolling the throttle forward, since you would know of this high idle problem when you started your bike, so at this time, why not just reset the idle, it takes maybe a couple of minutes. This way you also know if it is because of shutting down the bike with it above idle, or if you had other issues, at the earliest time.

The high idle like the OP and others had is, as you know, caused by having the grip at a position other than the rest position when you turn off the bike. The computer uses this position as it's reference point, so when you have it turned even slightly, then it will be off and will stay at this new reference until it is fixed. I guess I am not understanding the benefit (if it works or not) of twisting the grip forward (which also affects the EITMS) since it has to be reset, or it will always idle high.

Quick Reply: High Idle on 15 limited