2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amps Rockford Fosgate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015 | 06:25 PM
SouthernHD
Intermediate

I had the Rockford Fosgate Amp with Hertz hi-energy co-ax 6.5s in the fairing of my 06 and it sounded awesome! Very loud and clear. Plan to reinstall them in my 2014 limited along with another amp and Hertz 5x7 in the saddle bag lids.

Old 02-20-2015 | 08:10 AM
arighi
Intermediate
Default what else is required?

Originally Posted by 2NAHNTR
I installed one yesterday with Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers. For $250 total, you can't beat it. Very happy with the sound. Plenty loud.
I would like to know what else is needed to mount the speakers and the amp?

thanks.

Old 02-20-2015 | 09:02 AM
Blues Guy
Cruiser

For those of you running the double RF amps do you still have FM capability? I've purchased 4 Infinity Kappas and I'm evaluating amp setup. In comparing I like the BT 4180 but at $600 a little pricey. Also considering the PN4.520D 520W 4 Channel but have seen issues regarding FM retention as well as flash setup.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2015 | 04:58 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by arighi
I would like to know what else is needed to mount the speakers and the amp?

thanks.
You don't need anything other than some longer screws to mount the speakers. You'll need to split the pods and mount them internally for clearance. I ended up installing some grills from Cycle Sounds. They are just like the Boom grills but half the price. You'll need an amp wiring kit. You don't have to use one but I bought an amp mounting kit to make my life easier on the install. You'll need either a DSP line level from Cycle Sounds or get the system flashed by the dealer. Here is the extra stuff I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161256797212...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151328364051...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.cyclesounds.com/dsp-line-...ox-harley.html

http://www.cyclesounds.com/metal-spe...15-harley.html

Old 02-20-2015 | 07:26 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Default speaker grills

Hey 2NAHNTR, I am getting ready to install exactly the same setup on my '14 SGS. Do those grilles block the sound from the tweeters at all?

Old 02-20-2015 | 10:20 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Springerfan
Hey 2NAHNTR, I am getting ready to install exactly the same setup on my '14 SGS. Do those grilles block the sound from the tweeters at all?
If they do, I couldn't tell. Plenty of sound is coming through them. I like them better the stock fabric grills in terms of looks and protection. I had read that if you install the Boom grills that you wouldn't have to split the pods and mount them inside. That was my main reason for buying them(And I got them on sale). When I spun the tweeter to point toward the rider, they hit the grill by a couple of millimeters. I don't know if the Cycle Sounds grills are a different size than the Boom or not. They look identical. So, I ended up splitting the pods and mounting them inside anyway. I'm not crazy about the fact that some water could get inside the pod if sprayed directly into the grills but I think it will be ok. It would be the case no matter what grill was installed.

One thing I did do was take a black Sharpie and colored the chrome around the tweeter before I installed the speakers. I noticed in a picture that someone posted on the forum of their grills, that the chrome on the tweeters was shining through the grill. I didn't like the way it looked so I blacked it out. Worked great.

Old 04-03-2015 | 09:45 PM
DocKile
Cruiser

OK... I have a dumb question.. i think?? if the PBR300X4 is a 4ohm system and my Boom II speakers are 2 ohm, wont that cause the amp to overheat and burn out? I read something that said R/F wont honor the warranty if you run the amp into 2 ohm speakers?? anyone have any insight on this??

Old 04-03-2015 | 11:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Blues Guy
For those of you running the double RF amps do you still have FM capability? I've purchased 4 Infinity Kappas and I'm evaluating amp setup. In comparing I like the BT 4180 but at $600 a little pricey. Also considering the PN4.520D 520W 4 Channel but have seen issues regarding FM retention as well as flash setup.

Thanks
You'll lose FM reception with any class D amp. Just comes with the design. The RF PBR300-2 uses a "boosted rail" technology (not class D) that won't degrade FM reception.

Old 04-03-2015 | 11:23 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by DocKile
OK... I have a dumb question.. i think?? if the PBR300X4 is a 4ohm system and my Boom II speakers are 2 ohm, wont that cause the amp to overheat and burn out? I read something that said R/F wont honor the warranty if you run the amp into 2 ohm speakers?? anyone have any insight on this??
Are you sure of what you're asking? The Boom Stage II speakers require a Boom Amp, properly connected & flashed (one 4 channel Boom amp for each pair of Stage II speakers, running one channel to bass, one channel to mid/treble for both left & right channels). Wired wrong or not flashed correctly will result in blown speakers as soon as the system is turned on.

That said, the stock & premium Boom speakers are both 2 ohm speakers. The RF PBR300x4 amp is a 4 ohm only amp & is not compatible with any brand of 2 ohm speaker. However, the RF PBR300x2 amp will work with 2 ohm speakers. A 4 speaker system would require 2 of the RF PBR300x2 amps to drive 4 speakers. I would question how long the stock Boom speakers will last with 150 watts driving them?

You can find a lot of answers in the Audio section here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...de-thread.html

Old 04-03-2015 | 11:25 PM
dmize
Road Captain

Went with a full Hawg Wired setup on my 2010 RG and it was around 1k. I think Im going to give this RF amp setup shot on my 14 Limited.

Quick Reply: Amps Rockford Fosgate