Sponsored by:

Need some electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015 | 06:20 PM
Ohiobellboy
|
Road Warrior
Default Need some electrical help

I bought the kit to add Aux switches to the left side of the fork lock on my '15 SERGU. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-fairing-mount

It came with the switch block, the harness and a few zip ties and connectors. I got the switch mounted without issue and there's a harness right under the cover that leads back to a connector under the left side cover per the instructions.

Here's where it gets interesting. There are two unused plugs underneath the fuse block in that area. See pix below from the Supplement manual

For the life of me I can't find which plug is supposed to be what in the FLTRUSE supplement manual. There's no complete breakdown pix in that book of the left side cover anywhere.

I DID find in the regular service manual a pix of what I'm looking for....

Now it get's worse... according to the above pix plug #7 is the aux plug and plug #8 is a Data Link connector...

The plug on the harness that came in the kit fits plug #8, NOT plug #7.

So anyway, I plugged in the harness to #8 and started checking for voltage on the outputs of the two aux pigtails (one for each switch in the dash) and they work like they should. I even hear the relay click when you hit one of the two switches on the dash.

Here's a pix of the harness.

and the part number of the harness

Is there any way at all that the pix from the regular service manual is labeled incorrectly? Do you think the CVO wiring is that much different from a standard bike?

One more thing. Now I have to try to find a way to get that harness to fit somewhere. It sure as hell isn't going to fit behind that side cover.

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:16 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Could it have been that the connectors were just mounted in the wrong spots? I have a PV plugged in to my datalink connector and it's in the bottom spot and the aux connector is on the top. I have a 2015 CVO Limited.

ETA: Oh, I just looked at the diagram picture above. Yup, I think the book is mislabeled or you and me, the assembly line stuck them on the wrong mounting track.

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:30 PM
Copyless
Supporter

What are you going to connect to the Aux cable? If you are not actually going to connect anything to it at this time, then you can just disconnect the cable and put it in a safe place at the house. I know that I installed this on mine the day I bought the bike, but did not have anything to actually use it for at the time, so I didn't connect the cable, only the switches to get rid of the blank buttons.

For the routing, disconnect the cable and pull out the one in the holder and then look at the top right of the box, you should see the spot that you will put the connector thru and then re-connect the cable and zip tie to the frame or such, under the seat.

FinalShot already answered part of the question, just to add to his, yes it's the correct connection, wrong in the book.

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:33 PM
Ohiobellboy
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Could it have been that the connectors were just mounted in the wrong spots? I have a PV plugged in to my datalink connector and it's in the bottom spot and the aux connector is on the top. I have a 2015 CVO Limited.

ETA: Oh, I just looked at the diagram picture above. Yup, I think the book is mislabeled or you and me, the assembly line stuck them on the wrong mounting track.
^^^ THIS, makes me feel a helluva lot better. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:36 PM
Ohiobellboy
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Copyless
What are you going to connect to the Aux cable? If you are not actually going to connect anything to it at this time, then you can just disconnect the cable and put it in a safe place at the house. I know that I installed this on mine the day I bought the bike, but did not have anything to actually use it for at the time, so I didn't connect the cable, only the switches to get rid of the blank buttons.

For the routing, disconnect the cable and pull out the one in the holder and then look at the top right of the box, you should see the spot that you will put the connector thru and then re-connect the cable and zip tie to the frame or such, under the seat.

FinalShot already answered part of the question, just to add to his, yes it's the correct connection, wrong in the book.

Just some lights. I have a set of caliper mounted driving lights I made that I want to have switched. I also have some LED lights to go all over the bike. New canbus system is not something I'm willing to tap into a hot lead just anywhere.

Will have to explore that moving the plug. Lighting in my garage sucks and it was getting close to dinner time so I stopped for the night.

Old 01-29-2015 | 10:31 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ohiobellboy
^^^ THIS, makes me feel a helluva lot better. Thanks!
Any time... Glad you got it figured out. I have been on the fence about this for some heated gear.

What kind of lights did you add? Purely custom? Have any pics?

Old 01-30-2015 | 05:12 AM
Ohiobellboy
|
Road Warrior

Any time... Glad you got it figured out. I have been on the fence about this for some heated gear.

What kind of lights did you add? Purely custom? Have any pics?
Caliper mounted home made driving lights. Dyna turn signals that have been gutted and LED inserts installed in them. A couple of swivel mounts and bolted them in using the lower caliper bolt. Pix from my old bike.

The rest of the LED light I bought on the RG forum from a guy named Paul. Very similar to what I did on my last bike but I didn't spend 12 hours custom making the strips this time. There's actually more lights than what's in the pix but I didn't have them all hooked up yet.

Old 01-30-2015 | 01:56 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ohiobellboy
Caliper mounted home made driving lights. Dyna turn signals that have been gutted and LED inserts installed in them. A couple of swivel mounts and bolted them in using the lower caliper bolt. Pix from my old bike.

The rest of the LED light I bought on the RG forum from a guy named Paul. Very similar to what I did on my last bike but I didn't spend 12 hours custom making the strips this time. There's actually more lights than what's in the pix but I didn't have them all hooked up yet.
Thanks, looks good.

Old 01-30-2015 | 06:57 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

The back of the 2 connectors on the bike have 2 different sized slots where they attach to the bike. So they can't be mixed up. But its likely the photo is marked incorrectly.

Old 01-30-2015 | 07:04 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser

one is 6 pin the other 8 pin