Question from One Who is Ignorant of GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Question from One Who is Ignorant of GPS

Okay, really going to show some ignorance here. I haven't used a GPS much in the past, certainly never to the point of creating, importing and exporting .gpx files. But since I now have this fancy new BOOM system thought I would give it a try. I'm going to be riding down to Lake Okeechobee next month with a stop over in Tampa first (leaving from Atlanta), so I went out to Ride Planner and plottted the route from Tampa to the Lake using all country back roads. I exported the file to a flash drive and then imported the file onto the bike. Everything worked fine and I was hoping to be able to pull up the Tampa to the Lake route. But all it gives me are the starting point in Tampa and the ending point at the Lake as destingations to choose from. So I can see a route from Atlanta to Tampa and a route from Tampa to the Lake but not from Tampa to the Lake. What do I have to do to see that route? Or do I have to wait until I get to Tampa?

See, I told you. The level of ignorance here is almost indescribable.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:08 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Okay, really going to show some ignorance here. I haven't used a GPS much in the past, certainly never to the point of creating, importing and exporting .gpx files. But since I now have this fancy new BOOM system thought I would give it a try. I'm going to be riding down to Lake Okeechobee next month with a stop over in Tampa first (leaving from Atlanta), so I went out to Ride Planner and plottted the route from Tampa to the Lake using all country back roads. I exported the file to a flash drive and then imported the file onto the bike. Everything worked fine and I was hoping to be able to pull up the Tampa to the Lake route. But all it gives me are the starting point in Tampa and the ending point at the Lake as destingations to choose from. So I can see a route from Atlanta to Tampa and a route from Tampa to the Lake but not from Tampa to the Lake. What do I have to do to see that route? Or do I have to wait until I get to Tampa?

See, I told you. The level of ignorance here is almost indescribable.
You've gotten farther on it then I have so your heading in the right direction at least.

Batman

Old 01-22-2015, 10:26 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

You are selecting Where To -> Saved

You need to use Where to -> More ->Trips

In other words:
It is under "More" in your "where to" menu. Once you select it, you should see "trips".

Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Thanks, I can now see the trip Tampa to Okee! Haven't been able to get it to show me that route yet but I'll keep working on it.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:17 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Okay, maybe I'm expecting more out of this system than it can give. To test it I did a simple start and end ride plan out at HD Ride Planner, saved, exported and the imported to the bike. When I go to Where to>More>Trips it shows the name of the trip and I select it, but then it gives me these choices:
START
Fribley St. (which is my starting point down in Tampa)
Via Waypoint 1 (I don't know what this is)
Lake (which is my ending point)

Now my question is this: How do I get it to show me the route from Fribley St. to Lake?
Whatever I select it calculates a route from my current location (Atlanta) to whatever I selected. Is there no way to get it to give me the same route from Fribley to the Lake just like Ride Planner did?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you select start on your route that you have now, it will calculate a route from your current location (home) to Tampa and then to the lake. The motorcycle GPS is going to try to get you to the starting point of the selected route you chose. If you want, you can create a couple different routes and upload them to your bike. If I understand what you are doing:

Atlanta - Tampa would be your first route
Tampa - Lake would be your second route

You can add way points, like you have to force the GPS to take a certain route.

Last edited by FinalShot; 01-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by FinalShot
If you select start on your route that you have now, it will calculate a route from your current location (home) to Tampa and then to the lake. The motorcycle GPS is going to try to get you to the starting point of the selected route you chose. If you want, you can create a couple different routes and upload them to your bike. If I understand what you are doing:

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

But there's no way to get it to show me just Tampa to Lake while I'm sitting here in Atlanta, right?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
But there's no way to get it to show me just Tampa to Lake while I'm sitting here in Atlanta, right?
No, not while sitting in Atlanta. If you used enough way points in ride planner, your GPS will follow your ride route.

If you want, pm me your gpx file and I'll take a look.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

No, not while sitting in Atlanta. If you used enough way points in ride planner, your GPS will follow your ride route.

If you want, pm me your gpx file and I'll take a look.
Okay, you answered my ultimate question. I can't see a forward leg of a trip while I'm sitting here at home. I think I understand how the rest of this works.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Question from One Who is Ignorant of GPS