2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrofill Nitrgen Tire Inflation. Anyone done this on their FLHXS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015 | 05:55 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer

WHAAAAAAAATTTTT????? Am I actually reading about Harley riders quibbling about $10 worth of N2 in their tires after they've spent $95.95 on not-made-in-USA chromed plastic bling that costs the manufacturer $5.00??? Tell me this ain't so, Joe!!! LOL. Hey if $10 makes you feel extra good about your Harley, it's chump change well spent.

Old 02-28-2015 | 06:10 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
The reason for nitrogen in tires is its dryer than air which makes the tire pressure more stable over all heat ranges. water expands at uncontrollable rates. So in a race car wher a 1/2 psi can really change the handling of a car at high temps, it's important. NASCAR teams also use nitrogen dryers, to get even more water out. Your tire is just a spring so changing tire psi is like changing a shock spring. Just keep your tires properly inflated and air will be just as good for most Applications.
^^This is absolutely correct^^. The benefit of using N2 over Air can only be attributed to its dryness. Air from a garage compressor is contaminated with water vapor and possibly oil vapor too. "Bottled" gases are dry and relatively pure. There is nothing about Nitrogen that makes it different under the "Ideal Gas Laws". It obeys those laws just like "dry" air or any other gas would. The temp variations are in degrees Kalvin (Deg C - 273.16) so small temp swings of 10-20 deg won't change pressures much in tires containing any uncontaminated gas.. Its the effect of temp on the water and other contaminants that accounts for noticeable pressure swings.

As others have pointed out, "so what"? If the pressure stability is worth it to you, use the N2. Its relatively cheap and available. I've got a $25 electric compressor in my garage suitable for adjusting air pressures so use that and carry on. Whatever floats your boat but FWIW yarns attributing magical properties to the N2 molecule are bullshit, pure and simple.

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-28-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2015 | 09:18 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior

I have been using Nitrogen since 2009. It seems to do everything as advertised.

In the Midwest my tires pressure is stable through winter storage. Last spring first pressure check from my first ride after storage showed the same readings as before winter storage.

The cost is low so I can't see any reason not to go with it.

Old 03-01-2015 | 03:35 AM
Mozvader
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Not lookin' to bust them but if you're so convinced it works then why did you start the thread asking opinions? As they say "Just Do It"!
I started the thread because I wasn't sure if loss of pressure was an inherite flaw of motorcycle tire design. I usually top my tires off every few weeks and there is always about a 3 or 4 psi loss. The local dealer doesn't offer Nitrofill so I was curious if anyone had already tried it in their bike and what results they got.

By the way I went to the local Acura dealer so I could "Just Do It" on Saturday morning. I'll let you guys know if it works the same in a motorcycle tire after I ride a couple of weeks.

Old 03-01-2015 | 03:58 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by [B
Mozvader[/B];13756175]Facts and scientific data are all fine and dandy but the stuff works in real life applications.

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Not lookin' to bust them but if you're so convinced it works then why did you start the thread asking opinions? As they say "Just Do It"!
Originally Posted by [B
Mozvader[/B];13758170]I started the thread because I wasn't sure if loss of pressure was an inherite flaw of motorcycle tire design. I usually top my tires off every few weeks and there is always about a 3 or 4 psi loss. The local dealer doesn't offer Nitrofill so I was curious if anyone had already tried it in their bike and what results they got.

By the way I went to the local Acura dealer so I could "Just Do It" on Saturday morning. I'll let you guys know if it works the same in a motorcycle tire after I ride a couple of weeks.

Awwlllrightythen !

Old 03-06-2015 | 06:59 AM
Oldshacker
5th Gear
Default Nitrgen or not

some how I am confused. I read that nitrogen is good for the rubber and that air out of the compressor tends to dry out the rubber thus making less effective. I wonder since I live in Ohio and my motorcycle will be off the streets for a month or two. I would think that nitrogen would be a positive tire component. I'm not sure if my dealer offers the Nitrogen at a price yet for the bike and dealer are new to me. Is there a place one can get it free in the Dayton, Ohio area?

Old 03-06-2015 | 08:07 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldshacker
some how I am confused. I read that nitrogen is good for the rubber and that air out of the compressor tends to dry out the rubber thus making less effective. I wonder since I live in Ohio and my motorcycle will be off the streets for a month or two. I would think that nitrogen would be a positive tire component. I'm not sure if my dealer offers the Nitrogen at a price yet for the bike and dealer are new to me. Is there a place one can get it free in the Dayton, Ohio area?
With rare (and unlikely to be used) exceptions like; "expensive" Helium (He), with a molecular size so small it cannot be contained in a tire, or Ozone (O) which actually does tend to deteriorate rubber, a gas is a gas as is Nitrogen (N). Without reference to contaminants, which can introduce a mixed bag of properties including pressure variations and chemical reactions (ie. oil vs rubber), they all behave the exact same way. The benefit to your rubber of using an oxygen free gas like nitrogen may be technically true, but would be so infinitesimally small over the life of a tire as to be redundant.

Nitrogen is cheap and available and if using it appeals to you then by all means use it. As a matter of interest though, just know that what benefit you do derive from it is a result of its coming to you via a gas plant which produces, drys, filters, puts into HP bottles, tests and certifies the product before delivering it to their customer (garage). Compare this to garage air from a basic LP compressor, which just takes atmospheric air, including its "high" moisture content , possibly introduces some oil vapor, and blows this into your tire; now you've got the picture. Air coming from the same gas plants as nitrogen does, (diving air), would behave just exactly like nitrogen does in your tires.

Old 03-06-2015 | 10:29 AM
Mozvader
|
Extreme HDF Member

Ok so its been a week and I've ridden 178 miles. Just checked my tires and I haven't lost any pressure. Still in testing phase though. If they aren't 2 - 4 pounds lower by next Friday I'm calling the experiment a success.

I'm not a believer in Nitro improving gas mileage or anything else other than just lessening maintenance. Thats all I'm looking for guys. It works great in my car...

Old 03-08-2015 | 11:51 PM
Oldshacker
5th Gear

So the bottom line is, Nitrogen in motorcycle tires only stays in the tire slightly longer than compressed air. It appears that the checking the pressure regularly and topping it off when needed makes compressor air equally affective. Then, the deterioration of the rubber is really not a measurable factor for the average motorcycle.

Old 03-09-2015 | 02:17 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

The air we breathe is 78+% N2....

Quick Reply: Nitrofill Nitrgen Tire Inflation. Anyone done this on their FLHXS?