2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrofill Nitrgen Tire Inflation. Anyone done this on their FLHXS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015 | 10:14 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

N2 in your tires will give you better mileage because your wallet is lighter!

You pay, I'll keep my free air (while it's still free).

Old 01-19-2015 | 11:43 AM
starbiker99
Tourer

My N2 was included with my bike. Also Costco will top it off for free if it's needed. Might be a bit of a pain but it's not too bad since I've yet to touch them.

Originally Posted by biglew55
N2 in your tires will give you better mileage because your wallet is lighter!

You pay, I'll keep my free air (while it's still free).

Old 01-19-2015 | 12:29 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

The tire shops pushed N2 really hard when it first came out, whenever I took my cars in for oil changes and when you bought new tires they really tried to upsell the stuff, at $5 per tire. They had posters on the walls listing all the benefits, etc. The last couple years now, not one word- I've bought 2 sets of tires in the past 18 or so months, they didn't even list N2 as an option in the estimates at several shops. Maybe consumers rejected it or something. I sure don't hear much about it anymore.

Old 01-19-2015 | 12:36 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The only advantage is maybe... maybe less moisture.

The air we breathe is 79+% N2.
Exactly 79%+-N2, 20.9%+-O2, spend your money how you wish. - I have access to all the N2 I could never want and the only time I have put it in a tire was when I had a leak and needed to pressure up to get home.

Old 01-19-2015 | 01:42 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor

I see the benefit of N2 on race applications where controlled tire growth is desired & that 1/4 lb psi can change the handling of the race car. But, for an everyday used car/truck/bike, I don't see where the benefit justifies the cost at all. Just my 2 cents worth....

Old 01-19-2015 | 02:15 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master

Any research or reviews I have read claim the only real benefit the average consumer will see is pressure/temp stability. My Glide came with nitrogen in the tires. I have still had to top them off a few times, but that may be do to me regularly checking my pressures. Considering the benefits I will still grab my air compressor hose to top them off before a road trip rather than driving to a tire shop to pay them to add a little nitrogen. Even if they top it off for free, I would prefer to top it off before I leave my driveway.

Being no expert, I have also wondered if the air is required to be purged out of a newly mounted tire. Purging may not be required, but if needed and not done, are you losing any of the benefits nitrogen has to offer?

Old 01-19-2015 | 06:24 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

I believe the process to fill a tire with nitrogen does involve purging the air. At least that is what the tire service people claimed when they were offering the service a few years ago.

Old 01-19-2015 | 11:37 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Use it or don't use it. If it is free for you, then I say go for it. I have a supply and use it in my tires but also will be more than happy to top off with my home compressor. Those that are saying that nitrogen doesn't change with temps is flat out wrong. I deal with nitrogen filled tires on a daily basis. Just today, I had to decrease the pressure in tires because when I filled them, it was 30 degrees and now that the aircraft id back, it was 78.

Here's a post I did on another thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...cold-temp.html

Fill them when they are cold and don't worry about it. You are much more prone to tire failure due to under inflation than over inflation.

I saw in a post above where someone said that it's an inert gas and pressure does not change with temps. This is 100% incorrect information. Pressures for nitrogen filled tires will change as the temps change. Nitrogen and oxygen respond to temperature changes in a similar way and the gas being inert has no effect on it regarding temps as inert is all about a chemical reaction. Inert gasses are used to stop oxidation and hydrolysis reactions with the O2 and moisture in air.

Anyone heard of the Ideal Gas Law? I have because I use it in the corporate aviation business. Aircraft tires are serviced with nitrogen and I have to account for changes in where the aircraft leaves and where it is going for tire pressures.

A good rule of thumb for our tires filled with air or nitrogen... For every 10F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%. These changes occur as the temperature rises and falls no matter what gas is used in filling the tires.

One benefit to using nitrogen is that it does not contain the same quantities of moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air so, as you ride and the tires get hot, nitrogen tires will have less of a change in temperature and pressure than air filled tires while driving because of the lack of contaminants, mainly moisture. Unless you are using medical grade nitrogen (amber colored bottle), there will be a small quantity of moisture and contaminants. I think it is 94% and 98% but will have to double check this when I get back to the office. We use nitrogen in aircraft tires for two reasons: compressed air has O2 and you don't want any of that stuff around areas that could possibly get hot and start a fire. Also, it has far fewer contaminants and lessens the chance for corrosion inside the wheel.

For some tires in aviation, we see pressures in the 200 and up to 300 # range. For example, the pressure on a Michelin tire on a Falcon 2000 is 217# +/- 10. So, if you are at 217 and you have a 25 degree in temp change, you could now be out of limits and cause a tire failure due to lack of pressure. And yes, this does happen more than most think. I was an expert witness at trial. An operator serviced a tire in Phoenix on one of the hottest days in very late summer. I think the temp was 109, the aircraft left, and went to Point Barrow, AK. When they departed the next day, it was 26 degrees and they had a tire failure on departure that damaged the aircraft. The tire got too hot, too quick and the fuse plug didn't do it's job.

Old 01-19-2015 | 11:46 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain

How do they put nitro in tires and get all the "bad" air out? I always wondered that...

Old 01-20-2015 | 12:26 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TSheff
Exactly 79%+-N2, 20.9%+-O2, spend your money how you wish. - I have access to all the N2 I could never want and the only time I have put it in a tire was when I had a leak and needed to pressure up to get home.
Me too.

For a lot of years I pumped between 15 and 25 MILLION SCF N2 per day at 6,000-9,000 psi.... and 150,000scfm, pumping it through numerous heat exchangers at that rate to bring it from -327ºF (common used temp, boiling point is actually -321.4ºF) to between 80ºF and 100ºF at those rates and pressures.

That is 30-50 tractor trailer loads of liquid N2 each day, 4 to 5 days per week.

I understand how pressure and temperature affects N2. And for the miniscule amount of difference between air and N2 in the very limited capacity of a tire.....

I'll run air.

To those that don't think I know what I'm talking about, here's a challenge:

Find DOCUMENTATION of the pressure changes and difference between air filled motorcycle tires and N2 filled motorcycle tires.

Quick Reply: Nitrofill Nitrgen Tire Inflation. Anyone done this on their FLHXS?