Sponsored by:

Ultra Limited Low cornering

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM
BillNich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Low seat height via lowered suspension OR ground clearance; you get one or the other. Buy the bike you want and are comfortable with, then learn how to avoid it's limitations. On low GC bikes all the rider has to do is lean forward and in with the shoulder and head toward the inside of the curve to reduce or outright avoid the chance for dragging hard parts. Most inexperienced riders want to lean the bike into the curve while their body remains upright. This technique uses the most ground clearance of all the ways there are to ride thru a curve.

Of course, weight, pre-load, road camber and not using up suspension travel with the brakes are all factors as well. Like I said, get the bike you want and learn how to ride THAT bike.
agree 100%
I bought the Ultra Limited Low to be a touring bike. I have no doubts that it will excel at being what it was built to be..

Old 01-17-2015, 11:52 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious of the inseam for some of the folks buying the "Low"? I have (what I consider) short legs with a 29 to 30 inch inseam and have absolutely no problems with my Limited in stock form.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD HD
I'm curious of the inseam for some of the folks buying the "Low"? I have (what I consider) short legs with a 29 to 30 inch inseam and have absolutely no problems with my Limited in stock form.
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. It's not that I can't hold the bike up, with boots I can sit almost flat footed. It's that the Low has a HUGE difference in feel compared to the regular. It feels 150 pounds lighter. If you put the same force into getting it up of the stand as you do the regular, you'll almost flip it over the high side. As an earlier poster said, it feels "flickable".

You feel like you sit in it, not on it. In parking lot/garage maneuvering it's like night & day.

Disclaimer... I haven't yet ridden either one, just my impressions from climbing around on them at the dealer.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. It's not that I can't hold the bike up, with boots I can sit almost flat footed. It's that the Low has a HUGE difference in feel compared to the regular. It feels 150 pounds lighter. If you put the same force into getting it up of the stand as you do the regular, you'll almost flip it over the high side. As an earlier poster said, it feels "flickable".

You feel like you sit in it, not on it. In parking lot/garage maneuvering it's like night & day.

Disclaimer... I haven't yet ridden either one, just my impressions from climbing around on them at the dealer.

The reason it feels lighter lifting it off the stand is BECAUSE it is lowered.

If you put a longer kickstand on a regular Ultra it will feel the same.

I put the premium lower front end on the wifes SGS and at times the bike looks like it is standing straight up.

She will sit on mine, and can barely lift it off the stand. No problem lifting her own bike. (she is 5'4" and 110 pounds!)

Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Another trick to make the bike "feel" lighter is to leave the front tire tilted to the left when you sit on it and pull it up level. Then turn the handlebars straight. Yea it is easier that way and you feel less weight.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bzb123
The reason it feels lighter lifting it off the stand is BECAUSE it is lowered.

If you put a longer kickstand on a regular Ultra it will feel the same.

I put the premium lower front end on the wifes SGS and at times the bike looks like it is standing straight up.

She will sit on mine, and can barely lift it off the stand. No problem lifting her own bike. (she is 5'4" and 110 pounds!)
Except the Low has a different (presumably shorter) stand. I'm sure it does feel different though, lower center of gravity if nothing else.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:31 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Except the Low has a different (presumably shorter) stand. I'm sure it does feel different though, lower center of gravity if nothing else.
I was under the assumption that it was the same stand...just added the "easy reach extention" option

If someone can verify the shorter stand. I would purchase one for the wife.

The extension does help with shorter legs

Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, another option has popped up.... one local dealer has '14 limiteds for $3000 off sticker. I could maybe lower the back an inch & have the seat redone... might be the best of both worlds.

Anyone lowered their Ultra?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM
BillNich
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bzb123
I was under the assumption that it was the same stand...just added the "easy reach extention" option

If someone can verify the shorter stand. I would purchase one for the wife.

The extension does help with shorter legs
I dont know if the stand is shorter but it is reachable with the extension. Also due to the lower center of gravity it is night and day getting the bike up off the stand. On a standard Ultra Limited I had to struggle to get the bike up, with the Ultra Limited Low it was just as easy as my softail.
I am 5'4"..or at least I used to be...My inseam is most likely about 27 -28"

Old 01-17-2015, 04:14 PM
BillNich
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
Well, another option has popped up.... one local dealer has '14 limiteds for $3000 off sticker. I could maybe lower the back an inch & have the seat redone... might be the best of both worlds.

Anyone lowered their Ultra?
If you lower the rear and front suspension you will get the height to be the same as the Low..
I find that the narrowed Primary cover is a help as well.
The Low seat is also available.

That said...this time of year I would hope they would make you an even better deal on the 2014...I got almost that much off on my 2015.

Quick Reply: Ultra Limited Low cornering