Bike to bike comms

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 AM
layne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike to bike comms

Hiya,

Since we haven't had the opportunity to ride the new SGSs yet, I have been reading through the BOOM users manual trying to learn this fancy new system. It SEEMS like I should be able to install a headphone jack to the system then use a headset and be able to do bike to bike communications using voice activation and our Bluetooth linked cellphones. Is it possible? Has anyone done this? I realize it depends on coverage and stuff but we'd probably only do it when cruising through metropolitan areas...

Thanks,

Layne

Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Communications

Not sure I understand your question. Yes, you can make voice activated phone calls and call another bike using your headset and bluetooth linked phone. Assuming the other bike has a phone and is set up in a similar manner. Talking on the phone while your moving is not legal in many metropolitan areas, not to mention distracting.

You can also use the CB. (I'm not sure if the SGS comes with a CB module).

Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Ok this is how it works. The supplied headset you got from harley attaches to your bike. then you attach your phone to that cord tucked inside the fairing and you can also use your smartphone and pair it with the radio.

But yes everything you have read is correct.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

I use a Bike to Bike intercom with headsets that are paired together as well as paired to my phone so I can receive / make calls, listen to music and talk back and forth to my girl not all at the same time though LOL

Old 01-13-2015, 06:55 PM
layne
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies!

Since the wife and I both ride our own bikes, I thought it would be convenient to use our Bluetooth paired phones to chat between us (since it seems possible) rather than spending another $800-$1000 to retrofit our SGSs with CB modules.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
PunkJunky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might be better of getting the bluetooth head sets like "danofxdx" mentioned. To hook up a headset to the SGS you have to buy the comm connection cable ($65) plus a head set ($100+) plus have the dealer flash the radio to tun on the system. For $180 you can buy a 2 pack of Sena headsets for your helmets that will do everything you want for half the price.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM
layne
Cruiser

Thanks for the tip PunkJunky. That Sena 3s looks like it would fit the bill nicely!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 AM
PunkJunky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by layne
Thanks for the tip PunkJunky. That Sena 3s looks like it would fit the bill nicely!
I'm looking at the SMH 5 for me and the wife, I heard some bad reviews on the 3s and the smh 3. Also, the smh 5 can be charged on the bike while you are using it. that alone is worth the extra money when it comes to the end of a long day riding and your intercom battery dies.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

We have been using the Sena SMH10 units for almost 3 years. It has been one of the best purchases to improve our riding experience even though we ride 2 up all the time.

The big frustration with any Bluetooth headset and the new Boom system is that they are not compatible. The Boom system does not have the firmware to support Bluetooth headsets and microphones. A consequence of retrofitting an automobile system onto a motorcycle.

Now that we have a '15 Ultra Limited we still use the Senas for person to person communication. If I am on a group ride and need the CB I have a secondary microphone that I connect to the dash and I receive the CB audio via the speakers.

So far a couple of Bluetooth adapters have entered the market but nothing elegant or inexpensive yet.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 AM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can vouch for the Sena SMH10. Great product. I use them to talk to my wife sitting pillion behind me. I can also pair my iPhone, and make and receive phone calls if I need to, although I don't do that, as a rule.

There's a thread going on that offers up solutions to get the Sena units interfaced to the HD Infotainment system, but I'm starting to think it may be more trouble than it's worth.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-headset.html

I think I'm just going to keep using the Sena units for communications, and I'll use the HD system for music and GPS.

ETA: I believe the latest firmware in the Sena units allow them to connect to other brands of BT communication systems, so that's another plus.

Quick Reply: Bike to bike comms