Print Wikipost

What Oil Is The BEST

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Tell me what oil isn't a quality oil. People give advice to use any quality oil? What oils sold are not a good quality. Can some one tell me about an oil related failure because they didn't use amsoil? Just wunderin. I Used amsoil, Mobil one, Specto and redline. I am currently using Valvoline motorcycel oil I got it deliverd to my door for about $6 a quart and it seems to work good for the the first 4000 miles. I am going to change oil soon and think I'll use Mobil one since I have 4 quarts in garage. I really believe it don't matter. Ride on people
Hap
Have you ever done a comprehensive UOA?

That's the only way to know what is what.

I have a good friend that is **** about doing his, so I do know what is better.

To answer your question, no, I have never had an oil related failure.

....but everything else being equal, wouldn't you want to run the best?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
Olive oil.
Dont just buy any olive oil you see on the shelf, look for “first cold pressed” olive oil.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done a lot of reading on this subject. There are pretty much as many different opinions, as there are types of oils. That being said I still wonder, if I would hurt the engine of my Harley, if I use regular 20W-50 automotive oil for the break in before I switch to synthetic. A Harley motor is not considered a high-revving, high-output racing machine. Any small four-cylinder car engine can rev higher and put more horses out than a stock Harley motor. Sure, they are water cooled and not air, like the Harleys, but I don't think it does not matter, or does it? What's your take on this?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:56 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I prefer Mobil1 in the crankcase, Mobil1 GL5 gear oil in the tranny, and HD Formula+ in the primary. I used to use Syn3 in all three but on my 14 Limited if I don't use the Formula+ in the primary, the primary is noisy as hell. So noisy that the HD dealer in Colorado Springs replaced the compensator with only a few thousand miles on the bike. The GL5 gear oil also quiets down the transmission gear lash.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
I've done a lot of reading on this subject. There are pretty much as many different opinions, as there are types of oils. That being said I still wonder, if I would hurt the engine of my Harley, if I use regular 20W-50 automotive oil for the break in before I switch to synthetic. A Harley motor is not considered a high-revving, high-output racing machine. Any small four-cylinder car engine can rev higher and put more horses out than a stock Harley motor. Sure, they are water cooled and not air, like the Harleys, but I don't think it does not matter, or does it? What's your take on this?
Not sure, but it seems that most 4 cylinder cars have their redline in the 5000-5500 range, just like our Harleys. Water cooling does help though. I would think the main thing different is that our Harleys have more shearing action than car engines, at least in the primary. I'm sure there is an expert on this on the forum though.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Stuntgrunt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent the best part of an hour searching through the antiquated search features of this forum for a simple answer to what grade oil goes in which hole because I don't believe for one minute that HD make oil and I don't want to pay for a third party manufacturer relabeled stuff.

This was the first relevant thread I could find and it's full of idiots going on like being a forum veteran is some sort of badge of honour that makes them heroes in the world.

Thanks to those who tried to answer a simple question from the OP legitimately because it's easier to find the meaning of life than the oil grades for a HD.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hear we go again. Simple: use what you like & change it according to the manual.....:icon_cla pclap:

Old 02-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default O Rings too!

Originally Posted by KJBennett
Just looking for some tips on what is the best oil to use when doing an oil change? Right now I'm using Harley Davidson's SYN3 bulk oil in all three places. Is there anything that is a better price that is just as good or better? Thanks
To contribute something useful here, don't forget to replace the O ring.

My HD dealer charges $1 each, but you can get a pack of 10 for just over $2 at Home Depot (the other HD). Danco #8 Home Depot p.n. 96725.

I use Mobil1 20W50 in crankcase and primary, Redline Shockproof in tranny as I always have done. I also like K&N oil filters due to the ease of removal. K&N KN-171C.

Another useful tip is to get rid of those damn Torx bolts on the primary and get some nice chrome allens 1/4-20 x 5/8. If you dont have a local stocking HW store for chrome bolts and washers, I use Bolt Depot.

Now to be sure the beer, wings, chips, and firewood is in place to watch the Patriots kick some Seahawk ***.

Bob

Old 02-01-2015, 05:14 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do a lot of reading on other non-Harley forums regarding oils. Some of these guys get oil analysis done -

One thing that is common among many oils even the synthetics is that in as little as 2000 miles the viscosity rating is half of what it was originally ie: 50 weight oil only measure out to 25 weight. Shear ratings also suffer which would lead you to wonder about the lubrication protection.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuntgrunt
I've spent the best part of an hour searching through the antiquated search features of this forum for a simple answer to what grade oil goes in which hole because I don't believe for one minute that HD make oil and I don't want to pay for a third party manufacturer relabeled stuff.

This was the first relevant thread I could find and it's full of idiots going on like being a forum veteran is some sort of badge of honour that makes them heroes in the world.

Thanks to those who tried to answer a simple question from the OP legitimately because it's easier to find the meaning of life than the oil grades for a HD.
First off there are soooo many oil threads that have been started and 2nd most people don't understand the difference in the oils that have been explaned time & time again. If you want to know if your oil is doing its job spend the $$ and get an oil analyses done . There is a seal that is on all oils it has a code , as long it falls with in manufacturers guide lines you can use it. As for third party oil do you think Harley Davison makes the parts for the bike ? So as it has been stated ,put what you want for oil in it as long as it meets manufacturers specs or better

Quick Reply: What Oil Is The BEST