Sponsored by:

Winter Clothing; Advice needed, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 PM
bobndelia
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Clothing; Advice needed, please

I'm outta my element in cold weather. I need a couple of experienced winter riders' opinions.

No snow in DC yet, but it's cold (30-40 degrees) and damp. I have Gerbings jckt liner and gloves, but I'm still using chaps. My feet and my *** are getting frostbite!

I thought about Gerbings EX, but DAMN that stuff is pricey!

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

Man, there is a TON that can be said. Yes chaps.

I wear upper and lower chilli peppers I think it is called.

Also I wear a HD leather winter jacket and IT IS FANTASTIC!!!!! Expensive but WOW it is GREAT!

Winter gloves.

With lowers, I do not need anything but 'me boots.

You can wear a neoprene like hoodie/dicky, I could go on and on.....there is lot of stuff.

I have a windscreen so I do not need much around my face.

I know there will be a LOT of more posts so put it all together my friend and remember, even cold stay hydrated!!

What I said above I ride in freezing temps toasty warm.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use first gear glove liners, and then the Firstgear Rainier jacket & Firstgear Kathmandu overpants for cold weather riding, i have ridden in the mid to low teens with this setup. for boots i wear either the Sidi Adventure Gortex, or Sidi Discovery Rain. My feet never get cold while wearing either of these boots.
I ride year round here in the northwest, unless there is snow or ice on the road, so i do a fair amount of cold weather riding. I had tried some of the heated gear beyond heated gloves, but I didn't like dealing with all the wires, so just invested good jacket/pants/boots so i don't have to deal with all the wires.
I will say that the Gerbing glove liners heat more evenly than the firstgear liners, and are more comfortable in extreme cold.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
oldpanzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobndelia
I'm outta my element in cold weather. I need a couple of experienced winter riders' opinions.

No snow in DC yet, but it's cold (30-40 degrees) and damp. I have Gerbings jckt liner and gloves, but I'm still using chaps. My feet and my *** are getting frostbite!

I thought about Gerbings EX, but DAMN that stuff is pricey!

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
I ride in DC in the cold also on a 2014 FLHTK . I use a Powerlet jacket liner and electric gloves with cuffs. A balaclava to keep the next warm even though the jacket collar is heated. I wear leather over pants from LeatherUp and use the heated grips as needed. The fairing really helps. The last item( which I don,t use) would be electric socks in boots. I use a heavy Harley leather jacket on top.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:29 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Layers. Wear several layers. I've got silk-weight thermals, regular waffle thermals, jeans and chaps that I can all layer together for my lower half, the same 2 thermal layers plus a LS T-shirt, sweatshirt, and leather jacket for my top. Thinsulate-lined leather gauntlet gloves plus a separate thin liner, two pairs of socks with boots. I've got a neoprene half mask with a fleece neck piece to keep my face warm. I'm good riding down as cold as it gets here in Texas like that all day long. I do plan on putting in a seat heater, which you can get on Ebay for about $30 and works like a champ.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Have you considered used Gerbings? Perhaps someone out grew theirs.

What size are you - got a friend that is probably a XL or XXL that doesn't use them anymore.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cold feet are a tough cure. It's usually more of a circulation thing than anything else. Try the feet warmers you shake to activate and place them in your boots.

For pants, I always wear a pair of insulated, quilted long johns under my rain pants (nothing better at wind breaking IMO) and plenty warm. Up top I wear my FXRG jacket with it's liner. If its' colder than 30 a heater liner is as good as it gets.

I have heated grips and seat on my bike and really with them, it's really not even fair.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Bird Dog
Novice

Heated insoles and a heated pant liner, you won't regret getting them. Get the adjustable heat control.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for pants, 1st Gear HT Overpants -- just left this morning when it was 22 degrees and my legs were warm. For a Jacket, I wear my Textile Harley Convertible. However I do put an insulated jacket over the top for cold mornings like this morning - jacket was inexpensive from Walmart. Tonight I came home in 37 degree weather with just the jacket and a long sleeve t-shirt underneath.

Last edited by OwnerOfHarriet; 01-04-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 PM
bobndelia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Have you considered used Gerbings? Perhaps someone out grew theirs.

What size are you - got a friend that is probably a XL or XXL that doesn't use them anymore.

No, actually i haven't. I'm 38 waist (on a good day), so I'm guessing XL Pants.

Quick Reply: Winter Clothing; Advice needed, please