Sponsored by:

New OHLINS SHOCKS for my Street Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:10 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
Thanks for the answer, look forward to your report on how they ride. I find the stock shocks, fine, they are stiff. At 155 lbs, i have them at the lowest/lightest setting 1? But i guess they seem ok, i don't have any recent experience to compare them too. Don't think i'll be riding with anyone else on board, so for now i don't plan on a change.
From my experience, at your weight the stock SGS shocks are going to be too stiff. Riding solo with no tourpak, you won't be able to set the preload light enough to get the most out of those shocks.

I had them on my 2014 Limited for awhile. I really liked them until I lost 32 pounds. At 174 with the tourpak off and solo, I could no longer achieve the optimum preload.

I switched to Progressive 944's with the standard spring. Almost the same type of ride but a bit more "planted" over the ripples.

At 155, I'd highly recommend the 944's over the SGS shocks. The SGS shocks are made for "big" guys.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyCamper
Well, I took the plunge. Heard so many good things about them that I went ahead and put a set of Ohlins shocks on my SGS. Fortunately for me, OhlinsUSA HQ is pretty close to home and they install them there too. Going to have to play around with the adjustments and find my sweet spot before I post a review. Anybody else done this mod on an SGS? How do you like them?
And yes, I am willing to sell the stock premium shocks.

First thing I did to my 14 SGS was put on a set of Jri shocks on mine.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someday I'll upgrade mine. Would like to hear more from guys about my size and weight on some reasonably priced upgrades that do the trick.

I'm on the low end of the weight at 175lbs and the ride can be harsh at times on the stockers even adjusted all the way down. The first couple trips out I rode as they were set from the dealership - about 3/4 cranked up- I hit a stretch of road that was just brutal. My dad was following and after we stopped he even commented on the rough ride it looked like I was having. Set correctly that stretch is tolerable, but I'd still like better ride altogether.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Wow, makes be feel better to be 230 lbs. Maybe I will get some of the Harley Premium shocks after all. I hesitated since I was told you have to change the settings frequently when hauling two up etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Wow, makes be feel better to be 230 lbs. Maybe I will get some of the Harley Premium shocks after all. I hesitated since I was told you have to change the settings frequently when hauling two up etc.
You really do have to dial the SGS shocks in for the best ride solo and two up but if your total weight is in their sweet spot, they are really nice shocks. I just found that under 200, they really are too stiff at the lightest setting.

This is true for any shock, to get the spring rate right for your weight. The Progressives and to an even greater extent, the Ohlins, offer multiple spring rates. Unfortunately the HD's do not.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Fishnqueen214
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you guys want to sell your Street Glide take off shock? I want to replace my Electric Glide Ultra Limited shocks with the Street Glide shocks.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fishnqueen214
Any of you guys want to sell your Street Glide take off shock? I want to replace my Electric Glide Ultra Limited shocks with the Street Glide shocks.
Already sold mine to another forum member.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:02 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Stock shocks

I Like my stock shocks on my 14SGS I did move setting around ,225lbs, presently set about 3/4. Do ride two up sometimes a couple more clicks is all it took , I did notice they needed 1500miles to break in. And are feeling better,more controlled now, wife even mentioned it after a long ride. Good info on the Ohlins though you never know when a change maybe needed, lol!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I bought the Progressive 940s a couple years ago when they were the hot ticket going. Was very disappointed as were many others. Many buyers ended up sending the shocks back to Progressive to get other springs installed. I understand some changes were made and the 944s are better but it still makes me hesitant to spend that kind of money for shocks knowing what happened last time. Ohlins are a bit out of my $ range, the stock air shocks aren't all that bad if I keep the air up around 40 psi.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:08 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Ask

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Ohlins are a bit out of my $ range,
Where ever did you get that idea since I give you HDF members a huge discount? If you are not a HDF member than that is a different story.

Quick Reply: New OHLINS SHOCKS for my Street Glide Special