2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount GoPro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015 | 04:24 PM
Bill10256
Cruiser

Just noticed this thread. I have a Drift HD 1080P camera and I just mounted it to the right side passing light arm turn signal bolt. I used a Drift camera mount that I bought a couple of years ago. The mount use to clamp and hold like a vice using a large screw with padded plate. I cut one side of the mount vice plates off, drilled out the mount screw threads and replaced the 5/16th bolt to the turn signal with a longer 3" bolt. I also added lock washers and a put a larger nut below the base (can't see it in the pics) to raise the mount plate up and away from the chrome passing light arm. The turn signal bolt is on a slight up turn on the passing lamp arm so I had to raise the mount up a little with the nut so it wouldn't cut into the arm.

I also plugged in a USB charger from the 12V outlet (Cig Lighter). I should only have to open up the camera now to put a new memory card in.

I just put this on today. I'll upload a video soon. This feels pretty solid so I hope the vibration is minimal.

Here are the pics...

The following users liked this post:
DX Dave (06-12-2021)
Old 01-19-2015 | 08:26 PM
MKennedy616
Tourer

I love mounting mine down low on the engine guard... I use a roll bar mount... Gives a great perspective... I also love the motion blur from the wheel and rotor.

I will definitely be checking out the RAM suction mount though!

The following users liked this post:
Airborne350G (10-07-2016)
Old 03-23-2015 | 11:39 AM
58sniper
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BTFD55
Here is a photo of the set up I described and a video.

Same mount I use (from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Camera...b22830&vxp=mtr)

It's basically a big hose clamp with an inner rubber spacer, and flat plate on the front to stick the GoPro mount to. I've had mine on since last year, and even hit a huge Michigan pothole hard enough to bottom out the forks, and it's been solid. With mine, I don't see really any of the bike in the video.

One thing I suggest is mounting it as high as you can on the fork cover. Mine was originally mounted lower the first day, till I hit that above mentioned pothole. The mount bolt put a nice little dime sized ding in the top of the front fender. But no damage to the mount.

My biggest search now is a convenient location to put the remote. GoPro makes some handlebar mounts, and the remote comes with the front part of the mount. For those that haven't played with GoPros before, the mounts typically have two components to them. The part the mounts to whatever you're mounting to, and the corresponding part that connects to the camera/camera housing/remote mount. The two components connect together. So there are a million combinations. I think I just need to find the right handlebar mount.

I also got a right angle USB cable that has battery lugs at the other end, and hardwired it. Constant power to the camera.

Last edited by 58sniper; 03-23-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-23-2015 | 08:21 PM
bill1nat
Road Master

Originally Posted by 58sniper
Same mount I use (from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Camera...b22830&vxp=mtr)

It's basically a big hose clamp with an inner rubber spacer, and flat plate on the front to stick the GoPro mount to. I've had mine on since last year, and even hit a huge Michigan pothole hard enough to bottom out the forks, and it's been solid. With mine, I don't see really any of the bike in the video.

One thing I suggest is mounting it as high as you can on the fork cover. Mine was originally mounted lower the first day, till I hit that above mentioned pothole. The mount bolt put a nice little dime sized ding in the top of the front fender. But no damage to the mount.

My biggest search now is a convenient location to put the remote. GoPro makes some handlebar mounts, and the remote comes with the front part of the mount. For those that haven't played with GoPros before, the mounts typically have two components to them. The part the mounts to whatever you're mounting to, and the corresponding part that connects to the camera/camera housing/remote mount. The two components connect together. So there are a million combinations. I think I just need to find the right handlebar mount.

I also got a right angle USB cable that has battery lugs at the other end, and hardwired it. Constant power to the camera.
Can you post some better pictures of your "constant power set up"? I would love to see how you did this
Thanks Bill

Old 03-23-2015 | 08:28 PM
58sniper
Tourer
Talking

Originally Posted by bill1nat
Can you post some better pictures of your "constant power set up"? I would love to see how you did this
Thanks Bill
My bike is in storage for a few more days, but I used something similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Meter-DC-12...99357604&rt=nc only mine had the round lugs at the far end.

Right angle USB connector to the camera, and connected right to the battery at the other end.

Now that I have the service manual, I may elect to clean that up a little, as well as running power to the Wi-Fi remote once I have a solid mounting solution for that.

Old 03-23-2015 | 08:49 PM
bill1nat
Road Master

Originally Posted by 58sniper
My bike is in storage for a few more days, but I used something similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Meter-DC-12...99357604&rt=nc only mine had the round lugs at the far end.

Right angle USB connector to the camera, and connected right to the battery at the other end.

Now that I have the service manual, I may elect to clean that up a little, as well as running power to the Wi-Fi remote once I have a solid mounting solution for that.
So you had to modify the original case to get power cord in?

Old 03-23-2015 | 09:01 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

bill1nat,

I have a totally different bike but just wanted to show how I wired my GoPro 2 for constant power. I added a 'Power Port' to the handlebar, inserted a USB adapter, and presto... constant power. I used the USB cable that comes with the camera.
GoPro makes a case called a 'skeleton case'. It has openings in the side for the cables. Keep in mind that due to the openings
the case is not water proof. I've used a small amount of shrink wrap to cover the holes if it looked like rain. But, you can always
carry the water proof case and switch them if it rains. You should be good for about 3 hours of video on the battery.

You can see the power port under the GPS.

Last edited by Deucedog; 03-23-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2015 | 06:55 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
14 FLHTK

Looking for a spot to mount a GoPro... any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe a RAM mount, under the mirror, right side, like I have on the left for my PV2.

But I'd also like to do something a bit more creative, different perspective, if you will.
I have a RAM mount hanging down from the crash bar. You can have the GoPro flip the video so it's oriented correctly.
smib

Bob

Old 03-24-2015 | 07:38 AM
J929626
Road Master

Originally Posted by bill1nat
So you had to modify the original case to get power cord in?
You can purchase the "Rally Package" from Hog Tags to get the mount, the battery eliminator, aluminum extension and 12" safety leash. The package is $73 for a GoPro 3 and $83 for a GoPro 4.

The Rally Package for the GoPro 4, battery eliminator is different and requires a different replacement back door (supplied with "Rally Package") for the GoPro case, is not listed on their website. Email them and ask for it.

http://www.hogtagcollar.com/products.html

Old 03-24-2015 | 08:09 AM
58sniper
Tourer

Originally Posted by J929626
You can purchase the "Rally Package" from Hog Tags to get the mount, the battery eliminator, aluminum extension and 12" safety leash. The package is $73 for a GoPro 3 and $83 for a GoPro 4.

The Rally Package for the GoPro 4, battery eliminator is different and requires a different replacement back door (supplied with "Rally Package") for the GoPro case, is not listed on their website. Email them and ask for it.

http://www.hogtagcollar.com/products.html

The problem with that is it uses the skeleton back door, which, IMHO, leaves too many openings for dirt, moisture, etc. I just used a Dremel tool to make a little opening for my cable to fit.

Quick Reply: Where to mount GoPro?