Sponsored by:

Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. This is the same plate relocation bracket that comes in the Tour Pack Quick Detach kit for Rushmore models. Bracket p/n is 67900167. The license bracket sets behind the tail light bezel on the fender and is held in place with the screw that holds the bezel in place. When I put mine on I get a 1/4 gap at the bottom of the tail light bezel. It's so simple and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I had it on and off 3 times, put a little different bend in the tang that the mount screw goes through but really did not make any difference. I can't use it this way, won't put up with that gap at the bottom of the tail light.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine has two tabs(flanges?) on the bottom of the bracket which slide down onto the bottom edge of the opening in the fender. These hold the bottom of the bracket flush on the fender when it is all tightened down. I missed them the first time I installed the bracket and had the same gap.

Edit. The light assembly has a similar tab(flange) that also fits down onto the lower opening edge. Having that out of position will also leave a gap.

Last edited by jimmy1439; 12-17-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
Srodden (12-10-2019)
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the tabs you speak of. They kind of hook against the fender opening, they must be slipping out of position as I tighten the screw. I'll give it another try tomorrow. Better light, more patience, more coffee.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
I know the tabs you speak of. They kind of hook against the fender opening, they must be slipping out of position as I tighten the screw. I'll give it another try tomorrow. Better light, more patience, more coffee.
Try it with de-caf lol I am sure it will work out ok, but keep us posted please
Thanx,
Paul

Old 07-18-2016, 06:36 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I just did it

The new plate bracket is just thick enough to not allow the bottom of the light assy to hook over the opening in the fender, if you turn light assy over and note the rib or hook over you will see why the plate sticks out at the bottom. You can either carefully shave the rib or hook over from the light hsg or trim the bottom of the new bracket to just be the same physical size as the light housing to allow the light hsg to catch the lip of the opening at the bottom. This sounds confusing but turning the light hsg over and identifying the hook moulded into the bottom of the hsg will allow you to see what the holdup is. It was a P I A till i figured it out.

The following 2 users liked this post by dgoodbmw:
ScottKY (07-20-2016), Srodden (12-10-2019)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. This is the same plate relocation bracket that comes in the Tour Pack Quick Detach kit for Rushmore models. Bracket p/n is 67900167. The license bracket sets behind the tail light bezel on the fender and is held in place with the screw that holds the bezel in place. When I put mine on I get a 1/4 gap at the bottom of the tail light bezel. It's so simple and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I had it on and off 3 times, put a little different bend in the tang that the mount screw goes through but really did not make any difference. I can't use it this way, won't put up with that gap at the bottom of the tail light.

Mine looks exactly like yours. I tried numerous times to loosen it up and tighten back down. I finally gave up and left it.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 PM
Djeazie
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoodbmw
The new plate bracket is just thick enough to not allow the bottom of the light assy to hook over the opening in the fender, if you turn light assy over and note the rib or hook over you will see why the plate sticks out at the bottom. You can either carefully shave the rib or hook over from the light hsg or trim the bottom of the new bracket to just be the same physical size as the light housing to allow the light hsg to catch the lip of the opening at the bottom. This sounds confusing but turning the light hsg over and identifying the hook moulded into the bottom of the hsg will allow you to see what the holdup is. It was a P I A till i figured it out.
I ditched that stupid cheap looking plate mount. They should be ashamed of that thing. I bought a Kuryakyn plate mount with LED light for my plate. Then bought the LED laydown lamp from HD made for a Road King so it doesn't have the window on the top for the plate light. Cleaned it up a lot.

Best pic I have on my phone.

The following users liked this post:
NJDave (04-24-2020)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:10 AM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoodbmw
^^^^This.

This is the solution. Shouldn't have to be done, but it fixes the problem. I used a thin file to essentially increase the width of the gap at the bottom of the plastic light base that slides over the edge of the opening in the fender.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM
tyrant33
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=Djeazie;15340103]I ditched that stupid cheap looking plate mount. They should be ashamed of that thing. I bought a Kuryakyn plate mount with LED light for my plate. Then bought the LED laydown lamp from HD made for a Road King so it doesn't have the window on the top for the plate light. Cleaned it up a lot.

How did you mount it to the fender?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Djeazie
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=tyrant33;15340726]
Originally Posted by Djeazie
I ditched that stupid cheap looking plate mount. They should be ashamed of that thing. I bought a Kuryakyn plate mount with LED light for my plate. Then bought the LED laydown lamp from HD made for a Road King so it doesn't have the window on the top for the plate light. Cleaned it up a lot.

How did you mount it to the fender?
Measured, drilled and bolted it up.

Quick Reply: Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap