Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Captain Kirk Schneider
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto what ScottKY said. I used some coarse sandpaper to sand the groove in the plastic base to make it wider and then sprayed a little WD40 on it and pushed hard and it popped in. After it all was back together I bent the whole assembly back (towards the front of the bike) to give it a layed back look. Still doesn't look all that great. I'm thinking of getting the bracket from Softbrake that hangs under the tail light. No cutting or drilling. Then get the tail light for a Road king like Djeazie did. Does that Road king lens with no top window give off enough light to illuminate the bottom. I'd be happy with just enough light. Thanks and good luck.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk Schneider
Ditto what ScottKY said. I used some coarse sandpaper to sand the groove in the plastic base to make it wider and then sprayed a little WD40 on it and pushed hard and it popped in. After it all was back together I bent the whole assembly back (towards the front of the bike) to give it a layed back look. Still doesn't look all that great. I'm thinking of getting the bracket from Softbrake that hangs under the tail light. No cutting or drilling. Then get the tail light for a Road king like Djeazie did. Does that Road king lens with no top window give off enough light to illuminate the bottom. I'd be happy with just enough light. Thanks and good luck.
I have the bracket from Softbrake. The taillight bezel slides on all the way but isn't completely flush at the bottom maybe 1/16" gap. Not noticeable unless you look real close. I used a lay down LED taillight from Drag Specialties that has the plate light on the bottom. You could easily use the HD lay down light for the RK and get a plate frame with a built in light like the ones CD or Kuryakyn sells.

Last edited by MMXIWG; 07-21-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Captain Kirk Schneider
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. The Harley plate has gaps all the way around and it looks goofy sticking out on top. That looks way nicer. Thanks for the info and pics.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 PM
guapo
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scribed,

Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 AM
BlueTK
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Djeazie;15341984]
Originally Posted by tyrant33

Measured, drilled and bolted it up.
Exactly what I did. Not the same plate holder but the same method. Drilled 3 holes to mount it. Have no regrets - I decided back them it would be a permanent change. Pretty much anything looks better than the "billboard".

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=BlueTK;15401433]
Originally Posted by Djeazie

Exactly what I did. Not the same plate holder but the same method. Drilled 3 holes to mount it. Have no regrets - I decided back them it would be a permanent change. Pretty much anything looks better than the "billboard".

Edit
Yeah, but your taillight sticks out funny.

Last edited by Ultraboy105; 08-10-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 AM
guapo
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Djeazie;15341984]
Originally Posted by tyrant33

Measured, drilled and bolted it up.
I have a 2016, Ultra Classic and am looking to do the same mod do you have the part number for the plate. I assume you taped then drilled? Did you wire up to the back fender harness? I already have the correct tail light by CD. I will be piecing the kit together as I already have the bag lights installed.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:40 AM
Djeazie
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=guapo;15410545]
Originally Posted by Djeazie

I have a 2016, Ultra Classic and am looking to do the same mod do you have the part number for the plate. I assume you taped then drilled? Did you wire up to the back fender harness? I already have the correct tail light by CD. I will be piecing the kit together as I already have the bag lights installed.

Thanks.
Don't have the number but it is made by Kuryakyn. Sorry

Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Have to agree with Djeazie completely. HD did a horrible job with the relocation plate for the Ultra.

I had a softail curved plate, reshaped the licence tag to fit, placed rubber grommets between the tag and the fender, drilled the fender and never looked back. Still looking for an older tail light lens from a local swap meet without the clear top plate illumination and then I'll make my own window to illuminate the plate from the bottom side. I ride 50 miles every morning before sunrise and LEOs pass me all the time on the Turnpike, guess they have bigger fish to fry than some old geezer without a tail light tag.

Attached Thumbnails Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap-unnamed.jpg  
Old 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Softbrake. F drilliing...

Quick Reply: Plate relocate from QD kit fits like crap