Sponsored by:

Full-blown BlueTooth capability discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:33 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Full-blown BlueTooth capability discussion

While recently visiting a dealership I had never been to before, I started talking to a salesperson about the desire for full-blown BlueTooth capability. He directed me to one of their service guys who I was told is quite knowledgeable on this subject.

The service guy expected the solution for full-blown BT capability (CB, intercom, phone, radio, etc) to be delivered via a software upgrade. While I like the sound (and price) of that, I had gotten the impression based on discussions I'd had/read elsewhere, that there would be some sort of hardware/module (and $$$) involved, possibly plugging into the radio somehow.

So for those WAY smarter than me, is providing expanded (ie full-blown) BT capability even possible via some sort of radio software upgrade ?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not smart enough to know fully, but my understanding is that a standard BT module exists. Harley just hasn't programmed, or limited the programming for the time being.

When I did my Live Wire ride, one of the techs I was talking general shop bs with, said that HD does in fact plan to release a future SW to allow other BT items to work with their system. He thought that you might need to buy a module or special HD headset to be able to work the CB via BT. He just knows that they are working on it. His logic, but nothing official is that Harley was worried about "scope growth" and field issues so they had to limit some capabilities of the system.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts

It would be a hardware flash. Not rocket science to do either. If they do it then any BT headset would work. That would be my guess as to why they wont do it. Unless they figure out a way to charge you $300 for a $30 headset with a HD logo.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Read This,seen it on another forum.
I've read a few threads on this forum regarding 2014 Harley-Davidson owners and their new infotainment systems; one common question is "why won't my Bluetooth headset work with my Boom 6.5 system?"

I'm in electrical engineering an do a lot of communications work. We currently own 2008 FLHT, and use Cardo and Sena units for intercom and music, preferring that to the Harmon Kardon stereo built into the bike. We're looking at the 2014 HD's right now, so I called Harley with a very specific question:

"On the Boom 6.5 infotainment system, which Bluetooth profiles are supported?"

Tech-support couldn't answer that question, but they had me put it in an email and they forwarded it to the manufacturer of the system, Harmon Kardon. I pointed out that any Bluetooth profiles would be included in the original manufacturing specification documents between Harley and Harmon.

I received a reply yesterday; it indicated the Bluetooth profiles currently supported are:

HFP

A2DP

AVRCP

MAP

Immediately I understood why a Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 system.

HFP is hands-free profile; this is for interfacing a cell phone to a hands-free kit in a vehicle.

A2DP is advanced audio distribution profile; this is for streaming audio between a media device and a (vehicle) radio.

AVRCP is for remote control of the radio/media player; it allows a remote device to pause, skip, fast-forward, etc. on music tracks.

MAP is message access profile; it's used to exchange messaging data between a cell phone and a radio. This is typically used in vehicle systems for displaying (or speech to text if supported by software) of SMS messages.

What was NOT listed in the specification was HSP-headset profile. This is why your Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 infotainment system.

As many people with recently manufactured cars have discovered, like Ford Sync users, if you're on speaker phone in your car and you turn your headset on, the headset will grab control the phone from the car. The same thing happens with the new HD audio system with the current firmware.

There are other things HD shared with me on the specification document, like what services within those profiles are supported, but it gets too technical for most people at that point...The only ray of hope Bluetooth headset users have at this point is that there could be a firmware update in the future that adds additional profiles (like HSP).

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, unless a lot of people put pressure on Harley to get Harmon to write a future firmware update.

Last edited by mikeman54; 12-12-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Sapphire
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Read This,seen it on another forum.
I've read a few threads on this forum regarding 2014 Harley-Davidson owners and their new infotainment systems; one common question is "why won't my Bluetooth headset work with my Boom 6.5 system?"

I'm in electrical engineering an do a lot of communications work. We currently own 2008 FLHT, and use Cardo and Sena units for intercom and music, preferring that to the Harmon Kardon stereo built into the bike. We're looking at the 2014 HD's right now, so I called Harley with a very specific question:

"On the Boom 6.5 infotainment system, which Bluetooth profiles are supported?"

Tech-support couldn't answer that question, but they had me put it in an email and they forwarded it to the manufacturer of the system, Harmon Kardon. I pointed out that any Bluetooth profiles would be included in the original manufacturing specification documents between Harley and Harmon.

I received a reply yesterday; it indicated the Bluetooth profiles currently supported are:

HFP

A2DP

AVRCP

MAP

Immediately I understood why a Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 system.

HFP is hands-free profile; this is for interfacing a cell phone to a hands-free kit in a vehicle.

A2DP is advanced audio distribution profile; this is for streaming audio between a media device and a (vehicle) radio.

AVRCP is for remote control of the radio/media player; it allows a remote device to pause, skip, fast-forward, etc. on music tracks.

MAP is message access profile; it's used to exchange messaging data between a cell phone and a radio. This is typically used in vehicle systems for displaying (or speech to text if supported by software) of SMS messages.

What was NOT listed in the specification was HSP-headset profile. This is why your Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 infotainment system.

As many people with recently manufactured cars have discovered, like Ford Sync users, if you're on speaker phone in your car and you turn your headset on, the headset will grab control the phone from the car. The same thing happens with the new HD audio system with the current firmware.

There are other things HD shared with me on the specification document, like what services within those profiles are supported, but it gets too technical for most people at that point...The only ray of hope Bluetooth headset users have at this point is that there could be a firmware update in the future that adds additional profiles (like HSP).

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, unless a lot of people put pressure on Harley to get Harmon to write a future firmware update.
First, let me say THANK YOU for shedding more light on this prominent aspect of the Rushmore design. You certainly seem to speak with way more knowledge that any dealer employee has ever supplied.

If I can ask for a bit of patience for a ramble;
As you describe the BT capabilities, they mostly seem to be something that is also accomplished by the USB connectivity to your (insert Apple / Android device here). The ability to stream music and control the device certainly seems duplicated. The ability to send phone call audio to the system... and (oddly only) your voice from the (BT) connected mike... but if the mike system contains a typical audio system (like any BT headset ever invented) the whole bike side system balks at connecting and leaves you to connect the BT hands free directly to the phone. Which begs the notion of an idiotic system. Please correct me if I am wrong. I suppose the intent is to get a boom (or throat) mike only and leave the phone audio coming from the bike's speakers.

Oh, and the ability to hear (and reply to?) text messages while riding is even more idiotic.

Am I wrong?

It is a damn good thing I enjoy the sound of the engine WAY MORE than any audio setup the otherwise very expensive (and usable feature poor) radio / gps seems to offer

Again THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge and indulging my rambling.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:45 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Mikeman:
Any chance of getting the spec document shared??

Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, Mikeman. Are you telling me that the Boom audio system is made by Harmon?
I thought that HD had stopped using them?

Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
So, Mikeman. Are you telling me that the Boom audio system is made by Harmon?
I thought that HD had stopped using them?
Harmon Kardon does make the Boom. They are in the process of creating software to make this what it should be,but I'm not sure its possible with the system we have.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Harmon Kardon does make the Boom. They are in the process of creating software to make this what it should be,but I'm not sure its possible with the system we have.
Oh, Ok. Cheers for that. I was reading many horror story's about the trouble some have with the new system. Some replies to these posts gave me the impression that H-K and Boom are different companies. Your info gives me some hope that the troubles that come with the Boom will be resolved and as my new bike arrives in some 10 weeks it might have less problems than I feared.
Thanks.