Sponsored by:

dunlop 407t tires vs dunlop elite tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:13 AM
REGGAEX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dunlop 407t tires vs dunlop elite tires

getting ready to replace rear tire was going to get oem 407t but see the elite in same size big difference in price .Does anyone know if one is better than the other I see where the diameter is slightly different and width and tread pattern is a difference but as for wear is one better.Not interested in any other brand.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM
fijf4357
Advanced

i read the overall build is same between both tires other than HD marking. i just went with the AE on my 14 SGS and saved some $$.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I run the Elites on my 14 Limited and prefer them over the OEM. Issue I had with the OEM's on my 13 RGU and my 14 Limited was the OEM's started cupping pretty bad at around 8-10k miles, despite tire pressure checks. I tried two sets of OEM's on my RGU and one set on my Limited with the same results. Switched on both bikes to the Elites and no cupping issues at 15k. Also, the OEM front tire is not the multi-compound, whereas the Elites are, so the Elite front tire will last longer. I purchased the Elites online and they were very reasonably priced.

That's been my experience and I will stay with the Elites.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 AM
REGGAEX
Advanced
Default tires

that is good to hear guess i will go with the american elite

Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM
nicliv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A-1

Had them on my 09. Will be putting them on this one when needed.
Thought I picked up the wrong bike after install(both) that much different to me.
I was happy with the wear I got out of the OEM tires but the grip was bad. The Elites have a much better grip and seem to ride better(but they always ride better with new shoes)

Old 09-02-2017, 01:05 PM
LostTiny
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just had my front replaced on my glide and I had to shell out for the OEM front as I was in a jam and the dealer was there. Now can I mix or am I stuck having to buy the over priced OEM rear ? Was thinking of running and American Elite rear with the 407 front.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:57 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LostTiny
I had just had my front replaced on my glide and I had to shell out for the OEM front as I was in a jam and the dealer was there. Now can I mix or am I stuck having to buy the over priced OEM rear ? Was thinking of running and American Elite rear with the 407 front.
In my opinion you can mix. I'm running an OEM rear and an American Elite front right now and it works just fine. Just before I put the AE on the front I was running a Michelin Commander II there. I've run mixed tire brands on many bikes that stress the tires far more than our Harley's do and never had an issue even at peg dragging lean angles. I've even run radial and bias at the same time and lived to tell about it......

Old 09-02-2017, 07:33 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard good things about the American Elite. I'm about to put on my third set of tires and am going with the Michelin Commander IIs. I have a bit of tread on the front but just decided to replace both. It was a toss up between the AE's and the MC IIs. I just wanted to try a different brand.

The first two sets were Dunlop OEMs but I've gotten low miles out of them.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I have AE's and really like them after 1k of riding on them. I'm hoping they really don't cup as bad and as quickly as the stock tires.

Check the Dunlop website, they run rebate offers pretty often. I got $40 back on mine.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

I have a friend running the Elites and he swears they are better tires.

The difference in price is because to don't have the MoCo and the dealer taking their share.

Quick Reply: dunlop 407t tires vs dunlop elite tires