2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner, Tuner Before 2015 Limited Delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:34 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Air Cleaner, Tuner Before 2015 Limited Delivered?

Haven't received my 2015 Limited yet. Will be delivered soon. The SE Street Cannons are coming off the ex 2010 Limited and will be put on the new one. Should I consider a change in air cleaner and tuner before having the bike delivered? An option could be to leave it alone and ride it for a while before considering further mods. If I did do something sooner vs later, what would be a good set-up with my 2015 Limited with Street Cannons. I know that the options are vast, but a little guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it.

Can you run without a tuner? Yes.

Will you blow your engine up running without a tuner? Probably not.

Can you expect to get 50,000 miles out of your engine without a tuner? Most likely.

Will it run correctly without a tuner? No.

Dealers and their parts and service departments are a business, in business to sell motorcycles, and motorcycle parts and accessories. They tell you that you can get away without a tuner, because a LOT of guys won't come off the jack for a tuner, and they're afraid they'll lose sales if they tell you to get a tuner.

Changing the air flow without changing the VE tables is not beneficial. These bikes run lean from the factory, adding a more free flowing exhaust makes them run more lean.

Do what you want, I won't criticize, just trying to offer things to think about.

...but there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 PM
wiseguyups
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a '14 Limited two months ago, I'm waiting at least a year before I do anything. I'm not going to mess with the warranty.
But here's a good link to upgrades
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...fuel-moto.html

Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it.

Can you run without a tuner? Yes.

Will you blow your engine up running without a tuner? Probably not.

Can you expect to get 50,000 miles out of your engine without a tuner? Most likely.

Will it run correctly without a tuner? No.

Dealers and their parts and service departments are a business, in business to sell motorcycles, and motorcycle parts and accessories. They tell you that you can get away without a tuner, because a LOT of guys won't come off the jack for a tuner, and they're afraid they'll lose sales if they tell you to get a tuner.

Changing the air flow without changing the VE tables is not beneficial. These bikes run lean from the factory, adding a more free flowing exhaust makes them run more lean.

Do what you want, I won't criticize, just trying to offer things to think about.

...but there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride...

I agree

Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Kennedy81
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseguyups
I got a '14 Limited two months ago, I'm waiting at least a year before I do anything. I'm not going to mess with the warranty.
My dealer claims that any accessories that I had, as long as I don't mess with emissions equipment won't affect the warranty. So, air cleaner and slip-ons are ok, as long as I put a tuner on it. Further they said, that if I buy the SE tuner from them and have them do the tuning, I can run any pipes I want. They will allow me to buy the pipes, intake, etc. from whomever I want, as long as I let them tune it, they said my warranty and extended ESP will be fine.
...your results may very...

Old 12-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

As one of the famous athletic shoe/wear manufacturer's logo states..."Just Do it!"

Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Going from a 2010 to the 15 Limited is a big step in performance, the new 103 HO runs very well, the slipons will help the sound, the intake will help the breathing and the tuner will get the A/F ratio out of EPA lean. I used the Nightrider variable 02 enhancers on my 14 Limited w/slipons and air cleaner with good results. The new cvo 110 I went with a canned map and Power vision with just slipons so far. Good Luck

Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. With me, there's a couple of things going on here. This is my first new bike and the first time doing any mods. I plan on keeping the stock head pipes, but will change the air cleaner and add a tuner, at some point. Of course, I don't want to run into warranty issues. Some thoughts I have:
1) I'm guessing I'm less likely to run into warranty issues if I go with SE products, but are these necessarily the best choice?
2) Any concerns doing the basic mods prior to break-in of bike?
3) Any reason to not go with SE products and go with Fuel Moto, Vance and Hines, etc?
I want to get what's best for my bike and given my shortage of exposure/knowledge, I'm not sure what this is. I've read a decent # of posts and what I get from it is there are a good # of options. I could just go to the dealer and ask them, but their just going to sell me what they want to sell me. Maybe that's best, maybe it's not. Thanks again, for the replies!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:29 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer recommended VH Power Duels 4in Rinehart's SE Tuner and Air cleaner...I had it done after I put 500 miles on the bike wanted to break it in but I don't think its necessary..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
trhayes76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On mine, I had it done right away with a canned map on the tuner. I ran it for 1,000 miles and had it dynoed at the first service. I would make sure the motor is well past the break-in period before the dyno.

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner, Tuner Before 2015 Limited Delivered?