Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Fog Lights Can't Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:17 PM
hpyplc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Ultra Fog Lights Can't Adjust

I got my Ultra in the spring, and immediately was advised by fellow riders that it looked like my new day maker lights weren't even on. I had someone ride my bike while I looked in the rearview mirror and found the same thing. Not only that, but the manager of my Harley dealer passed me one day, not knowing it was me, and thought he had passed someone with all three bulbs burned out. That was when he acknowledge the complaint that I had been giving. I took it to another dealer and they had no idea of what to do with it being such a new bike. I was telling them that they need to replace these lights with old fashioned halogens since I never had that problem before. They would if I paid for it. I ultimately adjusted the headlight myself in the furthest adjustment possible to allow the light to be seen. And, since there is not possible adjustment on the fog lights, I had to turn the bulbs upside down so that they are pointing up enough to be seen and shine. The only downside to the upside down lights is that they are too bright for oncoming traffic if it starts to get dark outside. While at the second dealership, another 2014 Ultra owner arrived while we were all in the parking lot looking at my lights, and he said he had the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this and arrived at a solution?

Old 11-28-2014, 12:49 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 225 Posts

You can adjust the passing lights. You need a deep 9/16 socket with a slot cut in the side for the wire to go though. SnapOn sells the recommended socket for the job but you can buy a cheap one and cut the slot yourself for a whole lot less. Take off the lens and bulb for the turn signal and you can get to the nut under the passing light. Loosen that nut and you can adjust the light up/down and side to side.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpyplc
I got my Ultra in the spring, and immediately was advised by fellow riders that it looked like my new day maker lights weren't even on. I had someone ride my bike while I looked in the rearview mirror and found the same thing. Not only that, but the manager of my Harley dealer passed me one day, not knowing it was me, and thought he had passed someone with all three bulbs burned out. That was when he acknowledge the complaint that I had been giving. I took it to another dealer and they had no idea of what to do with it being such a new bike. I was telling them that they need to replace these lights with old fashioned halogens since I never had that problem before. They would if I paid for it. I ultimately adjusted the headlight myself in the furthest adjustment possible to allow the light to be seen. And, since there is not possible adjustment on the fog lights, I had to turn the bulbs upside down so that they are pointing up enough to be seen and shine. The only downside to the upside down lights is that they are too bright for oncoming traffic if it starts to get dark outside. While at the second dealership, another 2014 Ultra owner arrived while we were all in the parking lot looking at my lights, and he said he had the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this and arrived at a solution?

Hold on a minute, the dealer made it out as if there was no way to adjust the passing lamps? Or was the only option you gave them was to change all the lights, and when they said no, you took it home and went to do the work yourself?

If the dealer acted as if you could not adjust the passing lamps, I would want to know why they had such a lack of knowledge. I know people hate to hear this next statement, but it is the best item bought with the bike (along with the other 2 manuals and 4 others if a CVO), get a service manual.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything said above is true. The first thing I did after a drive after dark was to adjust the lights. I slotted a cheap socket and am very happy with the results.

If you don't want to get a manual, which is not a recommendation, you can look up the Daymaker LED Headlight and Daymaker LED Auxiliary Lights on the HD website. The aiming directions are there in the description. Aiming them correctly is a tedious procedure. I aimed mine when I was TDY at a small military base with a gate guard. I adjusted the lights, then went through the gate. After the fourth trip through the gate, when I had the lights higher without being in the gate guard's eyes, I was done. The adjustment made a big difference, but I am still not sure I won't go with something different at some time.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
bjryman
Tourer

I've never yet had a time that my dealership could not fix a legitimate problem that I did not create. Actually, they also could fix my problems...but not under warranty...LOL. I find that proper definition of the real problem is oftentimes at the crux of it all

Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 PM
hpyplc
Stage II

Thanks for all the input. Both dealers said that the side lights could not be adjusted up and down. And, it looked that way to me. I have adjusted older model fog lights where the whole fixture rotates like a cradle. But, these don't appear to rotate up and down - only side to side. Are you that have made up and down adjustments doing it on the daymakers that come with the 2014 models?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 AM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup. I did up and down adjustments on the stock setup on mine.

The headlight is adjusted by removing the trim ring and turning the adjustment screws in and out. The aux lights are adjusted by loosening the 9/16th nut under the mount with the slotted socket. They don't adjust a lot, but then you won't need much before they are too high. That's why I had the gate guard check my work so I didn't blind anyone.