Sponsored by:

My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK

Yesterday I was at the dealership waiting to ride with other members of my HOG chapter when I noticed many demo seats hanging on the wall in the service dept. I asked to test the heated hammock and they were able to install it before the ride. It was 34 when we started out so timing of the demo was very good.
The heat was welcome and worked very well.
A lot of threads discuss the height of the seat in relation to the stock seat. I didn't notice a significant difference. I am 5-11, 195lbs, with a 32" inseam. I am able to sit with both feet flat on the ground.
The significant difference for me was how it set me back from the bars. The extra leg room was certainly welcome but the reach for the bars not so much. The dealership installed the seat with my adjustable backrest in place. Because the backrest was placed where I like it while riding, all was very good except for the look of the installation, see pics. So I swapped out my adjustable backrest for my old standard backrest. Today I rode it with this setup. The change closed the gap, but the backrest could not be adjusted for where I needed it to be while comfortably reaching for the grips without slumping.
Overall, IMO, the Hammock is the best seat Harley Davidson offers, but I need a backrest and would prefer not to have to change out the bars so that I'm not over reaching.
This week I'll be giving a Road Zeppelin a test. Won't have heat, but I'm hoping for comfort with the adjustable backrest.

Attached Thumbnails My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK-seat1.jpg   My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK-seat2.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarz
Yesterday I was at the dealership waiting to ride with other members of my HOG chapter when I noticed many demo seats hanging on the wall in the service dept. I asked to test the heated hammock and they were able to install it before the ride. It was 34 when we started out so timing of the demo was very good.
The heat was welcome and worked very well.
A lot of threads discuss the height of the seat in relation to the stock seat. I didn't notice a significant difference. I am 5-11, 195lbs, with a 32" inseam. I am able to sit with both feet flat on the ground.
The significant difference for me was how it set me back from the bars. The extra leg room was certainly welcome but the reach for the bars not so much. The dealership installed the seat with my adjustable backrest in place. Because the backrest was placed where I like it while riding, all was very good except for the look of the installation, see pics. So I swapped out my adjustable backrest for my old standard backrest. Today I rode it with this setup. The change closed the gap, but the backrest could not be adjusted for where I needed it to be while comfortably reaching for the grips without slumping.
Overall, IMO, the Hammock is the best seat Harley Davidson offers, but I need a backrest and would prefer not to have to change out the bars so that I'm not over reaching.
This week I'll be giving a Road Zeppelin a test. Won't have heat, but I'm hoping for comfort with the adjustable backrest.

Great review, thank you. Would you mind taking a pix of the heated seat electrical connection? I removed the seat on my 14 Limited and cannot find anyplace to plug the seat into.

I wonder if the CVO Hammock would accept your adjustable back rest? Just a thought.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Great review, thank you. Would you mind taking a pix of the heated seat electrical connection? I removed the seat on my 14 Limited and cannot find anyplace to plug the seat into.

I wonder if the CVO Hammock would accept your adjustable back rest? Just a thought.
The seat requires this harness at an added cost:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ion-update-kit

Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarz
The seat requires this harness at an added cost:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ion-update-kit
I was told by my dealer that this harness was installed when they added my XM module. I have also had the HD garage door opener added. Is the harness in my Left side cover?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I was told by my dealer that this harness was installed when they added my XM module. I have also had the HD garage door opener added. Is the harness in my Left side cover?
It plugs in under the left side cover then extends up under the seat for you to plug the seat into. You may have to trace it from under the left side cover to see what they did with the connector if you don't see it.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 PM
rlrmcolo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammock Heated Seat

Good review. I just bought and installed mine the other day. It was part of the deal when I bought my bike. The mrs. and daughter required it. Some additional thoughts. Scott, to answer your question, the instructions SUCK. I pulled my seat off and stared at the cabling for like 15-20 min before my friends at Outpost HD stepped in to help me. The connection is on the left side as you sit on it. Right where the trickle charging harness is. Pull off the seat, then pull off the saddle bags, then pull off the plastic shield and right there is the wiring harness. You then need to feed it back up through to the seat area to ensure you don't pinch the wires. Pretty easy from there. I also noticed that it gets VERY hot in the max heat mode (switch up). I have used it 2 times already and can say that I haven't experienced any of the body placement issues as the OP. It fits me well and seats me comfortably on the bike. Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM
321north
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the heated hammock as well and love it for comfort and warmth but I need to install new bars as I am reaching too much.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:54 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I also think there is another version of the hammock that is make for the Rushmore bikes. I don't think it would sit back as far

Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
I also think there is another version of the hammock that is make for the Rushmore bikes. I don't think it would sit back as far
Yes I agree, according to the pics on the HD website. The 14 Hammock appears to have more foward back support that the previous year. I went to my local dealer last saturday and tried the 13 seat on a demo, which the parts manager said is exactly the same as the 14. Ok, then why are there two different part numbers? His reply was that the 14 pillion was wider. To conclude, I tested the 13 seat for 1-mile than took it for my seat. Now I have to find a dealer who has the correct part number seat to demo. Part #52000176 non-heat, 177 w/heat.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Quick Reply: My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK