Sponsored by:

My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rlrmcolo,
This is the description HD gives for different uses for the connector wire that plugs in under the left cover. I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for or not. Looks like if someone wanted more than one accessory they would have to use the splitter that you found.
"Harness plugs into accessory connector to provide 12 volt power leads. Required to install Heated Grips, XM® Radio, Cruiser Amp & Speaker Systems, zumo GPS, Digital Oil Pressure Gauge, Garage Door Opener Kits, Heated Seats and Decorative Lighting on '14 Touring and Trike models."
And you are correct, even the instructions that come with some of these accessories aren't very detailed.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rlrmcolo
So Scott, just to be clear, you have the right part then correct? Again, if it's the right part and it's already connected to something, you will just need the splitter I referenced earlier. Then you should be fine.

Earl, thanks for that, and I will be bummed if the threads start to turn sour when someone is just reviewing items and asking questions. That said, I am new to the HD world, so we will see how it goes. I was a Yamaha RSTD guy for many years and just converted to the 14' Ultra Limited that I have now. I have been extremely pleased with it so far. That said, I can tell that the owners manuals are not written by geeks like me that like all of the info, such as the wiring harness config, or many other little things I have noticed so far. No one can even tell me what kind of things besides lights you could use the ACC blanks for, such as a garage door opener or something.

Either way, so far I have found the HD Forums very helpful for someone new to this world. Good luck Scott.
Rlrmcolo; I can't thank you and the other posters enough. I now have my head wrapped around what is needed. Following a nice ride today with the wife on the heated Hammock demo I have decided to buy that seat. Really hated returning my bike to the stock seat.

Today we rode several hours on rough back roads. The Hammock seat takes the edge off rough roads. The bike rides smoother. One of the interesting things the Hammock seemed to highlight is my bikes suspension. I will need to upgrade my suspension following the seat upgrade. The $$$ never ends.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Where would you put the splitter wire cable? At the connector under the left side compartment? Or at the heated seat end?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM
rlrmcolo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Rlrmcolo; I can't thank you and the other posters enough. I now have my head wrapped around what is needed. Following a nice ride today with the wife on the heated Hammock demo I have decided to buy that seat. Really hated returning my bike to the stock seat.

Today we rode several hours on rough back roads. The Hammock seat takes the edge off rough roads. The bike rides smoother. One of the interesting things the Hammock seemed to highlight is my bikes suspension. I will need to upgrade my suspension following the seat upgrade. The $$$ never ends.
Scott, I agree, I rode yesterday for 2 hours in 45 degree weather, heated seat, heated grips were the shizzzzz. Glad it worked out for you. I would be interested if you had that adapter cable already as your pics showed, what was it plugged into? Did you end up with the splitter? Glad you went with it. Just know that the seat on the hot mode (switch up) gets my azz a burnin. I still need chaps too when riding because it does nothing for the cold on the legs. But man, how nice is it to have a toasty bum and hands when done. Good luck and glad I could help. I have plenty of questions myself being new to HD, but for once, I could provide the answer. For 1k, I don't know that I would have thought to buy the seat aftermarket, but I did buy it when I got the bike, so it made it all a nice worthwhile addition. My wife and daughter love it too. Have a happy ride.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM
rlrmcolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fmgsr
Where would you put the splitter wire cable? At the connector under the left side compartment? Or at the heated seat end?
It would go on the far end, where you would originally connect the seat. That way you can split to two items. At least that's how I read it. I suppose if you put it at the other end you would just have to buy two of the adapters that you use for the seat alone. Just might make it messy under that cover but would give you more "line length" to reach other devices. But for me, I would use it as a splitter to the end of the adapter. Hope that makes sense. I am only part of the way through my coffee today.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rlrmcolo
Scott, I agree, I rode yesterday for 2 hours in 45 degree weather, heated seat, heated grips were the shizzzzz. Glad it worked out for you. I would be interested if you had that adapter cable already as your pics showed, what was it plugged into? Did you end up with the splitter? Glad you went with it. Just know that the seat on the hot mode (switch up) gets my azz a burnin. I still need chaps too when riding because it does nothing for the cold on the legs. But man, how nice is it to have a toasty bum and hands when done. Good luck and glad I could help. I have plenty of questions myself being new to HD, but for once, I could provide the answer. For 1k, I don't know that I would have thought to buy the seat aftermarket, but I did buy it when I got the bike, so it made it all a nice worthwhile addition. My wife and daughter love it too. Have a happy ride.
Rlrmcolo; did not mean to mislead. Yesterday we tested the heated Hammock without the electrical plugged in. The seat's comfort convenced us to purchase, now waiting for my dealer to have their parts sale.

Your insight into the electrical system helped me wrap my brain around how it works. I now know that I have the correct harness adapter installed, I simply could not find the connector end. Considering my dealer installed my XM module and garage door opener, I am going to ask to have that same tech fish the connector for the seat to the appropriate location. If any additional parts are required I will post. The weather has me on hold for a couple of days.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM
mavantix
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this the same seat but with the passenger backrest?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...passenger-seat

...and more importantly, is the backrest also heated? Will my rider backrest still work? Seems this info is no where on the HD site, or at least I sure as heck can't find it. I even looked over the installation instructions, only to confuse me more.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
rlrmcolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mavantix
Is this the same seat but with the passenger backrest?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...passenger-seat

...and more importantly, is the backrest also heated? Will my rider backrest still work? Seems this info is no where on the HD site, or at least I sure as heck can't find it. I even looked over the installation instructions, only to confuse me more.
That pic is deceiving. It's only the seat. It says passenger seat, but it only means it's a two seater. There is a heated passenger backrest, that's more and more expensive. The link you sent is only for the seat and passenger seat combo. Does not include the back rest. I was on it for another 100 miles today in 46 degree weather, no back rest needed for my wife. she loves it.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
rlrmcolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scottt
Rlrmcolo; did not mean to mislead. Yesterday we tested the heated Hammock without the electrical plugged in. The seat's comfort convenced us to purchase, now waiting for my dealer to have their parts sale.

Your insight into the electrical system helped me wrap my brain around how it works. I now know that I have the correct harness adapter installed, I simply could not find the connector end. Considering my dealer installed my XM module and garage door opener, I am going to ask to have that same tech fish the connector for the seat to the appropriate location. If any additional parts are required I will post. The weather has me on hold for a couple of days.
all good, enjoy.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys, I read the thread and my questions were answered about wiring. I just picked up a 2014 CVO limited seat and was wondering if it was a direct plug in or if I needed anything.. looks like I will be ordering the harness. The factory plug won't reach far enough to plug into the seat. BTW... The seat I picked up was a dealer take off for $300..

Couldn't pass that deal up..

Quick Reply: My Review of a Heated Hammock Seat on my 2014 FLHTK