Sponsored by:

Speedometer and odometer accuracy, and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 07:06 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by RushKing14
According to a handheld GPS, my speedo is 3 MPH fast regardless of speed travelled. I have checked it at multiple speeds ranging from 35 to 70, and it's off by 3 at each one.

so based on my unscientific tests, the folks quoting percentages are figuring it incorrectly, as that percentage changes vastly with speed.

I have heard of a few like this. I've not encountered it myself, though. Without having firsthand experience with your scenario, I assume it's a mechanical issue such as misplacement of the needle.

Mine have definitely been off by more as you go faster, as have most that I've read about.

Old 11-04-2014 | 07:37 AM
codpilot
Cruiser
Default Pseudo measured

Cruising yesterday "Radar" speed sign says I'm doing 76 (in a 70) and yep still being passed by traffic, speedometer says I'm doing 84.

I would so love to have it off by 2mph! Of course the dealer says it's all good and withing spec.

For the tire size people - brand new rear with <1000 miles on it. With a worn tire and only a spit left of tread, the speed was off by 7mph. So yah wish it was more accurate. Not sure I want to spend $500 on a PV2 to fix it though.

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:57 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

My last bike was the only one I ever fixed (via Power Vision). On previous bikes, I just used my GPS speed to validate my speed.

Old 11-05-2014 | 06:59 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Angry if only

Originally Posted by biglew55
My last bike was the only one I ever fixed (via Power Vision). On previous bikes, I just used my GPS speed to validate my speed.
If only the crappy GPS in the Rushmore bikes actually reported your speed somewhere. The only place I've seen "speed" is in an average speed on a trip summary. It approximates the speed I've been getting on the radar signs, and not the speedometer.

Old 11-05-2014 | 07:28 PM
geektoad
Tourer

You can switch one of the bottom displays to show speed in the nav, however, it's pointless as it's not satellite based speed, it's taken from the same input that the speedo uses.

Old 11-05-2014 | 08:35 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by geektoad
You can switch one of the bottom displays to show speed in the nav, however, it's pointless as it's not satellite based speed, it's taken from the same input that the speedo uses.

That's interesting as the GPS and speedo are accurate at 35 but as I go up in speed they start to split. At 75 on the speedo, the GPS says 71. Guess I will try my phone app ans see what it tells me.

Old 11-06-2014 | 07:57 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FinalShot
That's interesting as the GPS and speedo are accurate at 35 but as I go up in speed they start to split. At 75 on the speedo, the GPS says 71. Guess I will try my phone app ans see what it tells me.
The built in GPS? Or your stand-alone GPS unit?

Old 11-06-2014 | 08:45 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by biglew55
The built in GPS? Or your stand-alone GPS unit?
The built in. I'll take a photo next time I'm on the bike.

Old 11-06-2014 | 08:52 AM
geektoad
Tourer

That's very interesting. I guess this is my lesson to not believe what you read in forums. That info was directly from this forum. I guess I'll check it myself as well. I apologize for the confusion if that's not the case.

Old 11-06-2014 | 10:58 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

The built in. I'll take a photo next time I'm on the bike.
I find this very interesting for the following reasons:
1: I have found my speedo to be very accurate even in stock form when compared to my external GPS and when passing passive radar sites.
2: I have found the digital GPS speed field to match the speedo.

I have a 2015 FLHTK.

I am now curious as to what's going on with this.

Quick Reply: Speedometer and odometer accuracy, and warranty