Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wasn't the jiffy stand this time

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014 | 06:50 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD-Gyro
And for those of you who don't believe the shift lever will fall off with the bolt in place, I'll be happy to wager a cool one that it will on my ride.
I'll take that wager.

Come on over, we'll throw her on the lift and see what's what!

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:41 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer

I had the heel shifter fall off within 500 miles of picking up the bike. No, I did not check that bolt when I got it from the dealer, but they gave me a replacement to put on. When I put the replacement on, I learned about the splined shaft and the engagement of the bolt. Now I check it when I look the bike over.

I'm with Safetyman on the wager.

Old 11-02-2014 | 07:55 PM
SecondGear
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I'll take that wager.

Come on over, we'll throw her on the lift and see what's what!
Seriously, how many people saying it happened to them too does it take to convince you? And 'it doesn't happen on my bike' isn't a valid argument.

I've been riding bikes since the '60s. Mostly motocross in the days of Maicos, Bultacos, and Husqvarnas. I started riding on the road the day I turned 16 in 1976. We did all the wrenching on our bikes. We would pull the engines to bore the cylinders - we worked on everything except transmissions. I'm not a mechanic but I'm far from a neophyte. The front goddamn lever would move move on the spline with the bolt in place and tightened. The rear lever fell off with the bolt in place.

Old 11-02-2014 | 09:57 PM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Default Wager

Safety,
I'd love to. A great excuse to put some more pins in my map. Win or lose, I suspect we would have an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, I'm putting this on ice for a few months. My job won't let me get away until January, and I'm not driving 3600 miles round trip in January. Perhaps next summer?

Old 11-02-2014 | 11:34 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SecondGear
Seriously, how many people saying it happened to them too does it take to convince you?
Why do you feel the need to convince me?
I really don't know what is causing the issue, but I would LOVE to see it myself.
I really don't care. I state facts. When I'm wrong, I admit it.

Every single one of us has a video camera in our pockets these days.

Perhaps next summer?
Absolutely... ask around, I open my garage and home willingly... until someone doesn't treat me square.

I've got a fridge full and a well-stocked bar.

And if what is being said is truly happening, I want to see it.
I'm betting something else is going on that I'm not picking up on.

Old 11-03-2014 | 09:22 AM
SecondGear
|
Road Captain

While I don't have the rear shifter because it fell off, I do still have the front shifter. I put the bolt in and tightened it snug. The bolt threads line up quite nicely with the lever teeth. It also does not seem to be far enough to prevent movement.

I do not believe that single thread of the bolt is enough to keep it from falling off. And, since the HD lever is made from steel, the bolt has to be able to bend steel to properly tighten the lever on the spline. The softbrake lever is made of aluminium which is much more malleable.

Here's a couple pics of the inside of the lever teeth.

Old 11-03-2014 | 11:03 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

I put the bolt in and tightened it snug. The bolt threads line up quite nicely with the lever teeth. It also does not seem to be far enough to prevent movement.

That is why we (i wont say you) think its tight but its not, (we) will have to check this more closely and insure the bolt thread is in good condition. Thank you good fellow, have you got the chrome shinny yet

Old 11-03-2014 | 06:52 PM
MriMan47201
Intermediate
Default Ditto

I wish I could agree with you except it happened to me also in the first week I had it. The pinch bolt came loose and the rear lever fell off. Fortunately, it hung on the floorboard and wasn't lost along the road.

I tightened it with the allen wrench that came with the stock tool kit. By the time I got home, it was loose again and I could slide it on the shaft. With better tools I was able to crank it tight and it has been fine since then.

I agree, the pinch bolt will not go in unless the lever is aligned with the bare spot on the shaft, but it definitely slides on the shaft with the bolt in place on my scoot.

I could have made this post... exactly same thing happened to me, same story.

Old 11-05-2014 | 10:22 AM
SecondGear
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
have you got the chrome shinny yet
It did get shiny but it's been out in the rain again. As soon as the snow starts to fly, it'll be put away for the winter and get a thorough, stem-to-stern clean & polish.

Old 11-05-2014 | 03:19 PM
fxdxlr8
6th Gear
Default Thanx

Thanks for staying the course with your thread.
I am now a "it could happen to me" convert.

Quick Reply: wasn't the jiffy stand this time