Sponsored by:

Onboard Computer aka infotainment - discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:03 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Onboard Computer aka infotainment - discussion

OK, first off, if yours works or it does everything you could ever want, this topic may not be for you. (premptive mine works what are you bitching for attempt)

My Onboard computer and GPS has been marginal since day one. Harley has patched it into new failure modes every so often but with no real success.

My brainstorm the other day while riding through KY heading south toward warmer clime was this. Until those of us with broken systems find a way of costing Harley money, they'll continue the half assed the fixes they have been pushing. So here's the brainstorm idea.

Unless I'm mistaken, repair costs for warranty work are billed back to HD (If I'm wrong let me know!). So I say we collaborate and create an extensive list of the common issues as A) things that don't work and should and B) things that should have been there but aren't (engine temp, bluetooth to headset).

List A, (things like the zoom failure) we start taking to the dealers so they have to write it down, do a system refresh and reinstall and bill the time to Harley. It puts a written record of the issues with the system in your maintenance log and I'm hoping somebody somewhere analyzes that for cost and other data.

If enough of us do this maybe somebody will do something. The point is not to punish the dealers - they really have no clue about these systems for the most part, and even if they do there is nothing they can do about it. However if enough folks take up enough time with these services and repair writeups they can express thier displeasure via whatever channels they have.

List B we use as talking points to every freaking magazing, Harley dealer, rep, and what have you so they know it's wanted and how we are sad it's not there.

So is this a reasonable idea, or should I go back to the Bourbon I "borrowed" from Kentucky?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Was at the dealer today decided to ask parts guy about my problem with my Iphone not receiving text's he tells me that Harley is not doing anything about the issues with the new Infotainment at this moment. Not sure what that means but I did mention to him that maybe these were released abit to soon and he tended to agree. So now what who knows maybe they'll just keep releasing the updates to keep everyone happy.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i think you should start a thread titled "should the $1800 cost of the infotainment system be refunded due to not functioning"

because the truth is....we PAID for it in one way or another.

a buddy wanted to borrow my bike to check out the 14's, but i was so ashamed of the radio, i was gonna pull the fuse to keep it from powering up on WeatherBand to static

Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Default Yep

Originally Posted by twig
Was at the dealer today decided to ask parts guy about my problem with my Iphone not receiving text's he tells me that Harley is not doing anything about the issues with the new Infotainment at this moment. Not sure what that means but I did mention to him that maybe these were released abit to soon and he tended to agree. So now what who knows maybe they'll just keep releasing the updates to keep everyone happy.
Hence the idea - make them pay actual $$ for the issue. If it does cost them labor costs, the more of us that hit them in the wallet to fix this thing the greater the chance of them doing something sooner than never?!?

Well I do know that in my travels at the dealers I've stopped at, the number of bikes I've killed the sale on by explaining the issues is not insignificant. And I'll keep doing it until I feel the majority of the issues are gone. I'm honest about the strengths and the weaknesses. And if someone is looking for an all in one that does what they have with the garmin/phone combo they have now I let them know the truth. Even throw in the caveat that they may have no problems, but this is what I've been through...

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Angry Hmm I like the idea

Originally Posted by 04ctd
i think you should start a thread titled "should the $1800 cost of the infotainment system be refunded due to not functioning"

because the truth is....we PAID for it in one way or another.

a buddy wanted to borrow my bike to check out the 14's, but i was so ashamed of the radio, i was gonna pull the fuse to keep it from powering up on WeatherBand to static
Yeah I make sure I have the bike started and on the XM because the FM sucks so bad, before I let someone take her out.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Padre
Supporter

Received 1,233 Likes on 534 Posts

Would the 'lemon law' be applicable in this situation? You keep taking the bike back to the dealer for the same problem, but they can't fix it. As far as I know, the lemon law is also applicable if the value of the vehicle is impacted.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Default Lemon Law

Originally Posted by Padre
Would the 'lemon law' be applicable in this situation? You keep taking the bike back to the dealer for the same problem, but they can't fix it. As far as I know, the lemon law is also applicable if the value of the vehicle is impacted.
Sadly in Floriduh the lemon law explicitly does not cover motorcycles.

So you're only option if you want the moco to take it back is to sue them. Even as annoyed as I am, I really just want the damn thing to work like it should.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot
Sadly in Floriduh the lemon law explicitly does not cover motorcycles.

So you're only option if you want the moco to take it back is to sue them. Even as annoyed as I am, I really just want the damn thing to work like it should.
Your last sentence is all I want not a blank stare like I got today, but I can tell you if I take my bike in and tell them to fix the texting issue I'm still having it will be sitting there in the spring still not done Becusse they don't know how.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

These are all software/programming issues, and I guarantee that the guy in the back room with black grease under his fingernails is not a computer science major.

If the MoCo hasn't updated the software, the dealer can't do a thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:34 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Provide your dealer a written list of the current problems you have with your radio. Be sure to provide it in e-mail so you can document having sent it to them. Cc the owner or operations manager. Try a return-receipt on the e-mail, or just verbally (or otherwise) confirm with the manager/owner that they've received it. Beyond that, I agree there's not much the dealer can do immediately…other than forward your complaint to the MoCo for their knowledge.

This way dealer management will be aware of your issues, and you will have written proof you've notified the dealer within the warranty period about the issues. For what, if anything, all that might be worth. (Also, this will help to tally-up, and clarify for your own awareness, all the issues the radio has. And just as important, it will help you track these things so you can confirm if/when they're corrected.)

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 10-29-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Onboard Computer aka infotainment - discussion