Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM
slow black ss
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I've had my flhx for a couple months, and will be doing a stage 1 in the near future.

My questions are..

1. What is the difference between v&h power duals and dresser duals? Noticeable sound or power difference?

2. True duals? Is there a reason other than personal preference to get true duals? Is there a true duals setup that I can use any slipon with?

3. Gutting stock header? This seems to be the cheapest method, but looks like most people only do it to reduce heat, and performance gains with that?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is only my second Harley (first was a vrod) so I'm new to all of this.

Thanks
Charles

Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dresser duals have a separate pipe for each cylinder. Power duals pipes merge together then separate again. Dresser or true duals will give more sound and some prefer them for that reason. Power duals and other pipes that merge together will tend to give better low end torque hence the name power duals. You should be able to use the same mufflers with either set of pipes. Gutting your stock head pipe would give you a slightly better performing pipe I would think. Kind of a poor man's power duals for lack of a better description.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

There is a chance for your O2 sensors to cross talk if you gut the stock pipes, no bueno.

Power wise... well....

My 2 cents...

It truly depends on what you are looking for....

If you are looking for thousandths on the race track, a 2:1 can get it for you.

If you are "paper racing" your buddies with dyno sheets, a 2:1 can get it for you.

Your assdyno won't know the difference in a couple lb/ft of torque.

"Redlight racing" has more to do with the skill of the rider at that point.

To me, TRUE duals SOUND much better, so that's what I run, I listen to it way more than I race it.

I'll put a cold one on the line for anyone with a 2:1 that wants to see what my TRUE duals have....

And I'll happily buy if I'm beat

I am a fan of the sound of True Duals. This is the setup on my '14 FLHTK.

Exhaust is very subjective. I like the 2:2, but a good 2:1:2, X pipe, or crossover pipe will do you right as well. And then there's the 2:1, Personally not a fan, but they can make a bit more power.

If the wallet is in mind, Rush makes the Eco pipe, can be had for like $250, and you use your stock cross-under pipe and heat shields.
(Contrary to popular belief, I am not affiliated with Rush whatsoever, just like their product and customer service)
I'm sure there are others as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 PM
slow black ss
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I'm not a fan of 2:1 exhaust., and won't be racing at all. Really just want better sound, so it sounds like true duals would be the choice for me.