Radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio issues

My 2014 Limited radio issues.

Upgraded the radio to 1.18.2 from 1.18.1 the day it was released. After installing the update the GPS zoom worked correctly and the USB would auto boot and play after boot-up. A couple days later the zoom returned to max zoom + or - the radio booted as default.

Today on the way into work the radio would cut out for a few seconds then return playing on multiple station. On the way home it started cutting again. I rode to the dealership about 17 miles away, radio cut out 30 times. The last time was 1/2 mile from the dealership. I shut off the bike but left the ignition on for the tech's to see it cutting out. You guessed it. It didn't cutout while the tech was looking at the bike, even after starting the bike. With the CB and intercom turned off they reloaded 1.18.1. They wanted me to ride it and let them know the results. The first stop sign from the dealer it cut out again. By the time I drove around the block it cut out 4 more time.

The tech looked at the bike again, it would not cut out for the tech again. Selecting Comm. The CB and weather option was missing. They asked that I leave the bike with them.

Will keep you posted on there findings.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 AM
RickLB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't updated my bike to any of these new updates due to issues like this. I did lose my CB module once but that was due to a blown fuse. Hope they sort it out for you.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Any chance you have guidance activated on the navigation system? Sounds similar to an issue I had right after the 18.1 upgrade. I was goofing around with the settings and must have activated the verbal guidance. So the music on the radio and my thumb drive cut out randomly, but only when the bike was moving. Turns out that the GPS and CB speaker output was set to the headset, but the radio set to the external speakers. The cutout was just the guidance system giving me directions, which I never heard since I was not wearning the headset. I deactivated that verbal guidance and the issue went away.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Padre
Supporter

Received 1,233 Likes on 534 Posts

I have upgraded and have had no trouble with the zoom on the map at all.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Any chance you have guidance activated on the navigation system? Sounds similar to an issue I had right after the 18.1 upgrade. I was goofing around with the settings and must have activated the verbal guidance. So the music on the radio and my thumb drive cut out randomly, but only when the bike was moving. Turns out that the GPS and CB speaker output was set to the headset, but the radio set to the external speakers. The cutout was just the guidance system giving me directions, which I never heard since I was not wearning the headset. I deactivated that verbal guidance and the issue went away.
I agree. Sounds like the navigation is on but volume turned down or set to headset. I say that because he says it only happens when moving.

Another thing to check is the coax connector inside the tour pack at the left side (AM/FM) antenna. Mine was lose causing poor reception on FM and lots of popping and static on AM.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
ianmac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kc hog
My 2014 Limited radio issues.

Upgraded the radio to 1.18.2 from 1.18.1 the day it was released. After installing the update the GPS zoom worked correctly and the USB would auto boot and play after boot-up. A couple days later the zoom returned to max zoom + or - the radio booted as default.

Today on the way into work the radio would cut out for a few seconds then return playing on multiple station. On the way home it started cutting again. I rode to the dealership about 17 miles away, radio cut out 30 times. The last time was 1/2 mile from the dealership. I shut off the bike but left the ignition on for the tech's to see it cutting out. You guessed it. It didn't cutout while the tech was looking at the bike, even after starting the bike. With the CB and intercom turned off they reloaded 1.18.1. They wanted me to ride it and let them know the results. The first stop sign from the dealer it cut out again. By the time I drove around the block it cut out 4 more time.

The tech looked at the bike again, it would not cut out for the tech again. Selecting Comm. The CB and weather option was missing. They asked that I leave the bike with them.

Will keep you posted on there findings.
I've only had my bike 3 days BUT check the sat nav voice is switched off as it may be set to play thru a headset OR be on low or nil volume so the radio sounds like it's cutting out, happened to me today, switched sat nav voice off, sorted. �� u also said to happened at a junction, that's when it would be "talking "

Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmac
I've only had my bike 3 days BUT check the sat nav voice is switched off as it may be set to play thru a headset OR be on low or nil volume so the radio sounds like it's cutting out, happened to me today, switched sat nav voice off, sorted. �� u also said to happened at a junction, that's when it would be "talking "
I'll bet you guys are spot on with his problem right there. Funny a tech wouldn't think if that though. Right? That should be the first thing a tech looks at.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those techs are as clueless or maybe more so, than we are about this new infotainment system. Lol

I agree it's probably the Nav volume issue.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Those techs are as clueless or maybe more so, than we are about this new infotainment system. Lol

I agree it's probably the Nav volume issue.
The techs were never trained at all on the new infotainment system. The best they can do is get on the tech line with Harley. But they don't have a clue either. Pretty sad but they released this system at least 2 years too soon due to them just wanting to dump another new item onto the Rushmore bikes.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 PM
darincraven
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sure sounds like the same issue I had when I accidentally turned on the CB option and my squelch was set a little low. This would explain the cutting out while moving but not happening when stopped at the dealers. Since you don't have a CB option showing something is definitely broken.

Quick Reply: Radio issues