Sponsored by:

Volume control issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 505 Posts
Default Volume control issue?

Anyone else seeing a volume control issue where you can't adjust volume up or down? Happened 4 or 5 times now. I can still change stations, but no volume control. Have to shut the bike off to get it to come back. Powering off the infotainment with the mute button doesn't fix it.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Only thing I have noticed is I haven't figured out the AVC. I have it set all the way up and the volume doesn't change. I thought at that setting it would increase the most and be most noticeable.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

With the current (yanked) software upgrade I do notice the volume changing as I stop at red lights, then increase as I accellerate. I have the sensitivity set to max. Works pretty well now, it was much harder to tell the difference prior to that last software version.
I've not had any incidence where the volume control didn't work. And I mess around with it a lot, my MP3 files are all over the place with volume levels.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

I believe it's bugged in the software right now, I've got a 2 week old Road Glide with the newest software and it doesn't work or at least at least doesn't work very well. I can tell a VERY slight difference with it turned (the AVC) all the way up when I stop. Slowing does nothing, only when I stop do I notice it getting lower.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I had 2 instances of no volume when i was using version 1.17.4.None with version 1.18.1.AVC is very subtle,works best with version 1.18.1 and most noticeable reduction in volume level at about 10 or 5 miles per hour.Increases immediately upon acceleration.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 AM
John7x
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom Box Frimware Fix 2014 Harley Davidson

Blue Street Glide

Linked comment

This was a great find and so I thought I would add a bit of an explanation to how we found the fix. We started by isolating the Automatic Volume Control function (AVC) to make sure that was not a factor. In watching your videos and comparing it to my 2009 Street Glide, I had noticed a significant difference in the way the audio systems were booting up.

I have the Panasonic with the Hawg Wired Amp, which were a typical replacement for the Harmon Kardon factor installs. So there is a big difference in how they boot up. On my 2009 Street Glide (with the Panansonic Head), my system initially boots up when the bike is turned on. This "COMPLETE" boot up process is repeated when I start the engine, after letting the fuel pump indicator light go off. I can watch the Panasonic display restart on ignition and go through all of the steps all over again.

Watching your videos, you will notice that when you turn on your 2014 Harley Street Glide with the Boom Box Audio 6.2, the system comes up and IF you wait long enough you will get the "Accept" screen. At this point if you start the engine, the display goes blank, but it does NOT restart as if you turned the power off. We can see this because we do not get the "Accept" screen again. This means that if you start the engine before the accept screen, you are interrupting the boot up process and putting the system into an unknown and unpredictable state. Searching the web, you will find people frustrated with the "Boom Box Audio Freeze", "Boom Box Blank Display", "Boom Box Audio USB Freeze", and other problems as a result of not waiting for the system to completely boot. Sometimes I felt like the fuel pump took forever until I could start my bike, but it will feel like an eternity for that sound system to come up before you ride.

Unfortunately I don't think Boom Box can program their way out of this mess. I think at the time of this post you are at firmware version 1.8.3, but what people really need is a new generation of hardware from Boom Box or Harley.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Have had this happen several times, now , if i remeber, i try volume before i take off, to make sure it's working. And, on the AVC, if i turn it down, the radio doesnt have the volume it does when it is turned up to 4, if i turn it to 2, radio has less volume, and worse sound. On 4 it doesnt really turn down much at stops, hopefully 18.3 will fix

Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got a problem with my AVC I haven't seen addressed before. After powering up and starting, radio is on with AVC #2 selected. I drive off, no change in volume. However, if I toggle to the AVC screen and select #3, then back to #2, it starts to work! It's like the AVC is OFF until I select a Mode (1 thru 4). Anybody else?? I've got the latest 1.18.3 Dealer says software glitch that is known and is being worked on....LOL.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:20 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Hey guys. I have been doing this procedure all week and it works. Let it boot up before starting the bike. My Radio also now goes into the mode I left it in

Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 AM
John7x
Novice

I have made two trips to Laughlin with about 8 hours total trip time and several stops along the way. I have not had any problems with freeze up of the radio since I began starting it up by hitting the accept switch before I start the bike. It is so much fun to ride now... I love my bike.

Quick Reply: Volume control issue?