Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volume control issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Has happened to me numerous times, also at idle, if i turn avc up, (4 Bars) radio is louder, sound is better , turn avc down, radio volume is lower with crappy sound, still havent got the 18.3 installed yet tho

Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
I've spoken to a number of Streetglide riders that have never had a problem, that's an interesting point. From a software point, hat's so different between the Street and Electras?
First of all, there's no microphone/headset interface on SGS, no rear speakers, hence no CB, no Intercom.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
On the 6.5 systems, just waiting for the ACCEPT screen, then starting the bike, you are NOT starting the bike after the system has finished booting. This can be verified by watching the status line on the screen. If the CB is on, there will be a delay before the CB icon appears in the status bar. Same is true for the Bluetooth. And if you want to be sure it's done booting, select the NAV button & wait for the NAV to come ready. On my system, the NAV is the last piece of the system to boot.

My start procedure is:
  • Ignition switch to ACC
  • Wait for ACCEPT screen
  • Select ACCEPT
  • Verify CB & BT icons appear on status line
  • Select NAV button
  • Wait for NAV to become ready
  • Ignition switch to ON
  • Wait for instrument lights to cycle
  • Start engine
I've heard all the "that's BS" comments on this procedure, but I've NEVER had ANY GLITCHES or switch/function issues when I follow this procedure. Almost everyone that starts their engine w/o waiting for the full bootup has complaints, sooner or later, that controls or functions freeze up & require a shut down & restart to get things working again.
This must take forever. My nav takes minutes to bootup before it is usable.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:26 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 505 Posts

I've been doing the ign - on, wait for accept, then start. Since I've been doing this, the volume problem has not happened in 1,000 miles of riding.
And I have no clue what version I'm on. All I know is there have been no updates since I bought the bike in Aug 2014.
I can't wait for my BIL to start razzing me while I'm waiting for the boot up and he's already pulling away on his '09...
Good thing I've go the HO 103 to catch up!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Pete_FLHXS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Anyone else seeing a volume control issue where you can't adjust volume up or down? Happened 4 or 5 times now. I can still change stations, but no volume control. Have to shut the bike off to get it to come back. Powering off the infotainment with the mute button doesn't fix it.
I have the same issue as well. Happened to me the other day as a matter of fact. It has happened with the older and newest software upgrades.

2014 Street Glide Special with the BOOMGT

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, there's no microphone/headset interface on SGS, no rear speakers, hence no CB, no Intercom.
I was speaking of GPS and volume control problems.
And except for you post, we were discussing volume control and AVC. No where else was the CB or headset mentioned.

And as far as the others with Streetglides having problems, while I'm sorry you are also having problems, but it's nice to know it's just not Ultra or Limited models.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

I was speaking of GPS and volume control problems.
And except for you post, we were discussing volume control and AVC. No where else was the CB or headset mentioned.

And as far as the others with Streetglides having problems, while I'm sorry you are also having problems, but it's nice to know it's just not Ultra or Limited models.
What? You asked specifically what were the differences between Street Glides & Electras. I answered your question directly & pointed out the differences from an Infotainment system software perspective. Maybe I should have said "there's no activated interface software for CB or Intercom functions & there's no actual audio input available to interface with the speech recognition software"?

Also, I never said I was having problems and I don't own a Streetglide.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

What? You asked specifically what were the differences between Street Glides & Electras. I answered your question directly & pointed out the differences from an Infotainment system software perspective. Maybe I should have said "there's no activated interface software for CB or Intercom functions & there's no actual audio input available to interface with the speech recognition software"?

Also, I never said I was having problems and I don't own a Streetglide.
Actually my question was rhetorical.

I never said you were having problems, you commented;
"I've heard all the "that's BS" comments on this procedure, but I've NEVER had ANY GLITCHES or switch/function issues when I follow this procedure. Almost everyone that starts their engine w/o waiting for the full bootup has complaints, sooner or later, that controls or functions freeze up & require a shut down & restart to get things working again".

You indicated you felt the comments (against?) the procedure were "BS". You then said you've never had any glitches and almost everyone who doesn't follow the procedure will end up having problems.
I've tried the procedure and I still have problems.

I suspect the problems are inherent in the software and are induced when any of the CAN-BUS functions are actuated and in no particular way and/or order.
A CAN-BUS function will make a change and one change in conjunction with one piece of code can effect multiple another and then it just gets out-of-control sort of.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Actually my question was rhetorical.

I never said you were having problems, you commented;
"I've heard all the "that's BS" comments on this procedure, but I've NEVER had ANY GLITCHES or switch/function issues when I follow this procedure. Almost everyone that starts their engine w/o waiting for the full bootup has complaints, sooner or later, that controls or functions freeze up & require a shut down & restart to get things working again".

You indicated you felt the comments (against?) the procedure were "BS". You then said you've never had any glitches and almost everyone who doesn't follow the procedure will end up having problems.
I've tried the procedure and I still have problems.

I suspect the problems are inherent in the software and are induced when any of the CAN-BUS functions are actuated and in no particular way and/or order.
A CAN-BUS function will make a change and one change in conjunction with one piece of code can effect multiple another and then it just gets out-of-control sort of.
Really? Damn CAN-BUS!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

I was under the assumption that since much of the electrical/electronic wiring are the same for both the Ultra, Limited and Streetglide versions, the software for all 6.5 Infotainment systems would likely be the same as well.
Then figured maybe there is a difference between the versions on different bikes.

Last summer I was down in Florida from Jacksonville to Key West and back. As I traveled, I would look around the dealerships and asked some of the folks about the 6.5 issues. One dealer in particular had me talk directly to their Digital Tech system guy. I found this guy straight up and he admitted there were numerous problems and the dealers were at a loss and waiting for the MoCo to straighten it out.
So I just got hold of the fella, he remembered me. The software is the same no matter which bike a 6.5 system is installed in.

Quick Reply: Volume control issue?