Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volume control issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 AM
twosailin
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

BUT, it does come on upon restart in the video! My pet peeve, I hate that!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Volume

I started having the same volume issue after the last update. I also have the same AVC problem as others and the other day the whole system locked up while scrolling through XM stations.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

My 6.5 just froze up on the way home. I could change stations but the volume wouldn't adjust. I had to shut the bike off and restart it. Then it worked as normal. Its the first time its happened. I got about 1800 miles on my 15 limited so far.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Thumbs up Good info!

subscribed!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had this happen a couple of times in the last couple of months. I sure wish Harley would fix these bugs. I'm particularly annoyed that the AVC has to be turned off then back on each time I ride my bike to make it work. I wouldn't bother using it, but it significantly affects the max volume of my radio.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The infotainment systems are computers that need time to boot up before use. I do not turn on the bike until the screen says accept. If you start the bike and not in the right sequence, your controls and the entire system will act goofy. I got this from Harley techs. It is what it is. I have 1.18.3 upgrade too.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before riding season was over last year, I had tried the various sequences, Radio off before turning the bike off and all that. I did not try wait to start until after hitting Accept.

I updated to 1.18.3 back in January, but I wasn't able to ride for a few months.

First ride a couple of weeks ago, I did IGN ON, wait for ACCEPT, accept then fire the bike up and then turn the radio on.
It was OK the first few times out (maybe 5-6 restarts), but this evening the volume froze. Off & back On got the volume control back.

As this continues, it seems that most riders are having better success since 1.18.3 than I've had, that's great.
Someone commented I might have more than just the software programming glitches, maybe my 6.5 itself is messed-up. Time to talk to the dealer again.

Ride Safe

Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 PM
ARBOC
Cruiser

It happened to me today on my 15 SGS. It happened a few times with my 14 SGS last year.
Also I experienced the black screen on the 15. Again it's happened on last years 14 SGS

Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Anyone else seeing a volume control issue where you can't adjust volume up or down? Happened 4 or 5 times now. I can still change stations, but no volume control. Have to shut the bike off to get it to come back. Powering off the infotainment with the mute button doesn't fix it.
Yes! I experienced this today. I've found that if I start the Harley before I get to the warning screen - I experience this weird bug on the infotainment system.

I pulled over, turned it off. Then turned it back on. Problem went away.

I have logged a bug on the harley DevOps site regarding this issue.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Copyless
Supporter

I wrote a reply of several paragraphs and lots of information relating to the HU and other HU's and computers. Short version, I have had countless high end computers (have a hexa-core 32GB ram 6TB HDD and a quad core system at this desk) and have never had any computer that did not "freeze up" at some point, I also have three other high end HU's in cars 2 are Kenwood and 1 is Pioneer. The two Kenwood units were around $1800 without the accessories to fully utilize them, the Pioneer about $1400 before the accessories, all three of these have "frozen" on me at some point or another, one of the Kenwood units to the point I have almost pulled it out and threw it out the window at 85mph, and I have around $2600 in just the HU. My point is as others have mentioned, the HD HU is a mini computer, and while I have not had mine "freeze up" on me yet, if and when it does, I will be upset, but I know unfortunately, that is does go with these types of units sometimes, heck, I can't think of a modern mobile phone that hasn't "frozen up".

The AVC works great, when you turn it off and on each time, yes, this is a hassle and should not have to be done, but if done it does work flawlessly. Hopefully HD is on top of this and will have the fix in the next update, but as far as prevent the HU from EVER freezing up, I am not sure this will ever happen, again because, I have never seen any manufacturer yet to put out a computer or top end HU that did not freeze up.

I do want to clarify one thing, when I am using the term "freeze up" I am using this broader than actually "freeze ups" as in, some of my Kenwood "freeze ups" I mentioned were not always frozen, sometimes they just re-booted themselves, right in the middle of the best song, important GPS information, best DVD part, I don't know, but it seemed as though it knew when it would make you the maddest if it went off. So when I said "freeze up" I meant some actual frozen and some just glitches that caused a re-boot sequence.

Quick Reply: Volume control issue?