Sponsored by:

Overthinking air cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:07 AM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overthinking air cleaners?

I already did the basic Stage 1 on my SGS (V&H Monster Ovals and FP3 tuner, HD Burst Air Cleaner) so this isn't a question about what you think I should do and besides, I'm satisfied as is.... just a random thought based on reading some of the more technical info out there on the 2014 bikes. There are more than a few people who have dyno results comparing everything from no air cleaner at all to stock and everything in between.

I have come to the conclusion that for a basic Stage 1 with slip on mufflers, with or without new headers and a tune of your choice the stock air cleaner is just fine. It is less restrictive than older bikes stock air cleaners and is no longer the weak link in the chain.

An aftermarket air cleaner of any type (SE included) can flow more air but is likely completely unnecessary. We, myself included, will likely always upgrade our air cleaners because its what we've always done but it's really just cosmetic unless you are truly hot rodding a Rushmore.

Last edited by logical; 09-27-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Powergod
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by logical
I already did the basic Stage 1 on my SGS (V&H Monster Ovals and FP3 tuner, HD Burst Air Cleaner) so this isn't a question about what you think I should do and besides, I'm satisfied as is.... just a random thought based on reading some of the more technical info out there on the 2014 bikes. There are more than a few people who have dyno results comparing everything from no air cleaner at all to stock and everything in between.

I have come to the conclusion that for a basic Stage 1 with slip on mufflers, with or without new headers and a tune of your choice the stock air cleaner is just fine. It is less restrictive than older bikes stock air cleaners and is no longer the weak link in the chain.

An aftermarket air cleaner of any type (SE included) can flow more air but is likely completely unnecessary. We, myself included, will likely always upgrade our air cleaners because its what we've always done but it's really just cosmetic unless you are truly hot rodding a Rushmore.

Agree it's mainly visual for me

Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by logical
I already did the basic Stage 1 on my SGS (V&H Monster Ovals and FP3 tuner, HD Burst Air Cleaner) so this isn't a question about what you think I should do and besides, I'm satisfied as is.... just a random thought based on reading some of the more technical info out there on the 2014 bikes.

So what was the question? Or your just tired of reading about what AC to use?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
...Or your just tired of reading about what AC to use?
In which case, the best thing to do is start another thread about air cleaners...

Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think thats a good point, Fuel Moto has demonstrated the big boost comes from slipons. 98 ft. lbs. of torque with Jackpots on a stone stock 103 wethead. I think they are getting the same results with their 15 Road Glide. Besides how often does the average rider use the extra WOT airflow?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I ain't sayin' y'all's wrong....

I say buy what you like.

I don't like the "airbox", so I went with the SE "stage 1" AC, and I like K&N filters, so that's what I bought.

Likely I didn't improve anything, except my confidence in the products I purchased....

Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
logical
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
So what was the question? Or your just tired of reading about what AC to use?
It was an invitation to discuss a topic, not every thread is a question and answer session.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Overthinking air cleaners? Logically I was thinking of a question.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser

I'm certainly not an engineer or even a mechanic of any sort. My thought when doing this on my Road King was in part performance and in part to have an air cleaner that could be cleaned and not replaced. I've used the older K&N on my '01 FXD for the last 14 years with no issues and figured it couldn't be a bad thing on the RK. I wasn't after absolute power so its a pretty mild setup with Street Cannons and the SE super tuner. I may have more air cleaner than I need in terms of flowing air but the bike seems happy with it and it made good gains.
The other gain in my mind is that everything is HD parts, installed by the HD shop (who have been excellent to me). I feel that if there is ever a problem with the bike there is likely to be less issues with warranty if using HD recommended parts and tuning. Could be wrong about this but I don't think so.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HeHe...I like the stock air cleaner....Runs fine with 3 1/2 Rineharts too...

Quick Reply: Overthinking air cleaners?