Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enter Pin to start bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014 | 12:45 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
My dealer sets all the bikes before they leave to the last 6 digits of the vin, never have to write it down, its right there on the frame.
That's cool, now where exactly do you live, or work. What vicinity is this dealer, and is it all of their bikes?

Sorry, but TMI for a website disclosure. I'd change it now if I were you.

Old 10-08-2014 | 01:00 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Amazing how many people plunk out thousands of dollars for a bike and don't read the user manual.

Old 10-08-2014 | 01:47 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

OK - so now I better understand. My dealer is trying to rip me off or scare me into setting my pin number up.

It worked - I started setting pins on my first Harley back in 2004. Have done it every since then.

If we or I am wrong, well, I don't want to test the field and be out there with a missing fob or one that is not working properly. For me, it is really nice to know that I can start my bike in case of this misfortune.
Hope this is easier than catching a cab to Loews for that battery

Old 10-08-2014 | 01:49 PM
buggin02
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
That's cool, now where exactly do you live, or work. What vicinity is this dealer, and is it all of their bikes?

I was just thinking the same thing, but then I remembered I don't steal. However there is the potential for those with lower morals to take advantage of this situation. I advise anyone with the PIN set to the VIN to change it immeidately. I am sure more than one dealer is doing it this way, expecting you will change it later.

Old 10-08-2014 | 02:12 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360

LOL. Good luck figuring that one out and my code is changed Sparky. Plannin on heisting a few bikes are ya? Come on by my house, I have 10 rounds of 380 lead waiting on ya plus a Rot. The way I see it, you have 3 ways of leaving my property, 1. you get lucky and run away 2. in the back of a sheriff's car 3. in a coroner van, You have fun with that, I will be waiting.

Last edited by my67pnycar; 10-08-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2014 | 02:48 PM
nicliv
Cruiser

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
LOL. Good luck figuring that one out and my code is changed Sparky. Plannin on heisting a few bikes are ya? Come on by my house, I have 10 rounds of 380 lead waiting on ya plus a Rot. The way I see it, you have 3 ways of leaving my property, 1. you get lucky and run away 2. in the back of a sheriff's car 3. in a coroner van, You have fun with that, I will be waiting.
DAMN!!! I think he was trying to be helpful(and funny) Weather I have these things at my house or not, I like to surprise people. It is just funner that way.

Old 10-08-2014 | 03:03 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

My dealer has a preset they use on all bikes. I'm not going to disclose their preset algorithm. Just learned this myself a few weeks ago. If I had known then, when I bought my bike, I would have changed it the day of my purchase. It's changed now and I would suggest those who haven't, change/reset it.

Old 10-08-2014 | 03:05 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

I took it as him being sarcastic and sneaky but now that I think about it, he was in a way trying to be helpful. He could of went about it in a diff way. Sorry Sunnyday, I took it wrong. I will admit when I am wrong, but then again, am I? no one knows anyone on the net, just sayin. I like to have some surprises to, I didn't say what else I have waiting, hehe.

Last edited by my67pnycar; 10-08-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2014 | 03:16 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
OK - so now I better understand. My dealer is trying to rip me off or scare me into setting my pin number up.

It worked - I started setting pins on my first Harley back in 2004. Have done it every since then.

If we or I am wrong, well, I don't want to test the field and be out there with a missing fob or one that is not working properly. For me, it is really nice to know that I can start my bike in case of this misfortune.
Hope this is easier than catching a cab to Loews for that battery
I wasn't attacking you... just questioning the $350 charge:

Originally Posted by cycle7447
....If you fail to set your code and your fob battery dies, you will not be able to start your bike. I understand from my dealership that the cost to correct this issue is around $350 or so....
You set your PIN, goodonya! I also set mine.... but if a man forgets, or just doesn't set it and the battery dies, it is just a matter of replace the battery, and you're good to go. I have first hand experience with this, as one of my old riding buddies ran into the same issue. I ended up starting mine, then opening my FOB and gave him my battery so he could get started... rode on to Lowe's, no cab fare involved.

There was a lesson learned there... I now have 2 or 3 brand new spare batteries in my tourpak.

Old 10-08-2014 | 03:49 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Just verified, its he last numbers of the vin, this in on the rental bike they gave me, still waitin on all takers.

Quick Reply: Enter Pin to start bike...