2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enter Pin to start bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014 | 01:57 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser

I discovered this yesterday as well... stopped at the dealer for service and watched them pull my bike into the shop while the key fob was with me in the showroom.

Mine was different than all the above, so my guess is that my dealer set it up before delivery.

Old 09-25-2014 | 01:59 PM
AZRider62
Road Master

One tip... I was having trouble getting my new PIN to take... turned out I was following the procedure too slowly... apparently a timed thing.

Old 09-25-2014 | 02:05 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser

Mine was set to 12345 from the dealer. I rode from the dealer straight to a buddy's house to show off the new ride and he started my bike when I wasn't close enough for it to register my FOB! He was just proving a point....a point that I got LOUD AND CLEAR. I changed my PIN right then and there.

I think it should be mandatory for dealers to make you change it before leaving on a new or used bike. This way you never forget and get it stolen!

Old 10-07-2014 | 09:35 PM
coolmac
Tourer

This bike is the first with security. Does this sound normal. I can have the FOB next to the bike and the bike still ask me for the Pin code. Then sometimes, with a 6 second delay the ignition turns on. Then sometimes no delay the ignition turns on. I think this is a problem. Anyone want to trade the security module for a non security?

Old 10-08-2014 | 12:18 AM
sdwold
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coolmac
This bike is the first with security. Does this sound normal. I can have the FOB next to the bike and the bike still ask me for the Pin code. Then sometimes, with a 6 second delay the ignition turns on. Then sometimes no delay the ignition turns on. I think this is a problem. Anyone want to trade the security module for a non security?
Sounds like the battery is going low in your fob. There could also be cross interference during the handshake between the fob and the security system. Try moving where you carry your keys. Mine does that if I hang the fob on the left side belt loop, but works fine on the right? Don't ask, I'm just passing on what I was told at the dealership

Old 10-08-2014 | 02:59 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is just a heads up about the key fob and the pin number.

If you fail to set your code and your fob battery dies, you will not be able to start your bike. I understand from my dealership that the cost to correct this issue is around $350 or so. With that in mind, please everyone -set your fob pin number.

Old 10-08-2014 | 08:30 AM
harleymike77
Road Captain

Mine was set prior to picking the bike up. The Dealer asked me for a 5 digit PIN (no zeros), that was easy to remember.

Old 10-08-2014 | 09:33 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Here is just a heads up about the key fob and the pin number.

If you fail to set your code and your fob battery dies, you will not be able to start your bike. I understand from my dealership that the cost to correct this issue is around $350 or so. With that in mind, please everyone -set your fob pin number.
I'd find another dealership. Yours is trying to either A. rip you off. of B. use scare tactics. I don't cotton to either.

If your FOB battery dies, and you do not know your PIN, go to Lowe's and buy another FOB battery for 3 bucks. When you get back to your bike, it works.

Nothing to reset....

THEN, after you've learned your lesson, with your FOB at your bike, reset your PIN.

OR... take your FOB and your owner's manual to your bike now, while the battery is still good, and set your PIN. If you cannot remember your PIN, write it down. ZIP codes make good PINs, Maybe the one you grew up in... or your grandmother's... As long as there are no zeros.

Dealer does NOT have to set your PIN. As long as you have your FOB at the bike, you can reset the PIN.

There is no magic involved.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-08-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Fat finger spelling...
Old 10-08-2014 | 10:54 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Pin number, what pin number? Thanks to the info here I now have a secure bike, or somewhat secure. I’m thinking of all the times I left my bike unattended with a pin code of “11111”. Sturgis comes to mind, I left it parked on a side street an entire day more then once. You'd think the dealer would have said something about it. Probably did, but in such a hurry to get on the bike and ride it home, it went in one ear and out the other. Again thanks for the good info on this forum.

Old 10-08-2014 | 10:59 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

My dealer sets all the bikes before they leave to the last 6 digits of the vin, never have to write it down, its right there on the frame.

Quick Reply: Enter Pin to start bike...