Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 PM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reduced Reach Seat

When I was at the dealer the other day, they had a few seats on sale that apparently were leftover from last year's stock. One of them was a Reduced Reach Seat and being only 5'9" with a 30" inseam, I decide to take it our for a test ride on my 2014 SGS.

While the book states that this seat is supposed to move you up from the stock position by 2", this one (and it was not the Super Reduced Seat) had me moved up by at least 4" to 5" and practically had me sitting on the tank, which was freakin uncomfortable. Also, it looked like a replacement for an Ultra seat because it had a very wide passenger area that looked very strange on my SGS.

Anyone have any experience with the RR seat and knows if there is a model for the SGS that just moves you up by 2" and does not widen the passenger area?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I let the dealer talk me into a reduced reach when I bought the bike. Being new to Harley and trusting his judgement I took it, it was only a few days and I wanted it off the bike, it pushed me way up on the tank and feet way under the brake and gear shift, I did not like it to say the lest. Put the stock seat back on but it too high and too wide and it's got a big azz on it that looks weird with he tour pack off (I think your going to find that with all the reduced seats also). We were in a hurry to get a comfortable seat for a long trip and mrs Brew at the parts suggested the road zeppelin Low profile seat, they did not have a demo at that time. But took the chance and ordered it, it has air bladders and small hand bulb pumps made into the side of the seat for both of us. We both like the seat on the trip, when you fell your self going numb just pump a little air into it, after a few more hours let some out or add a little more it really works well. When I'm home and the TP removed it looks good and normally, just around the house and short rides I may run with no air. The set sets me low and flat footed and slide back just right for me (we are about the same size and inseam). With all that said the seat cover is some type of mesh material, it looks good but may tear or pull with a sharp object or your boot but we have had no issues, it is a little pricey. Water does not seem to be an issue but the seat does not come all the way to the tank console and leaves a small gap, don't really like that but it's ok until I find something cool to fill the gap. That's my experience with the reduced seat issue, the low pro zeppelin is good on long trips, looks good with out the TP, sets low and comfortable. Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Reduced Reach Seat-image.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought a Road King seat for $200.00 new from dealer.1/2 lower than limited seat.See if Dealer will let You try a Road King seat.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2015 Ultra Classic Low coming inspite of the seat they put on them. The seat will have to go, it pushes me too far forward.

I have a Mustang Low Down seat off the bike I traded in that will fit it.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Wanna sit lower with a seat that looks good & work well, look at the Danny Gray Airhawk Longhaul. It's real leather & has the hand pump/air bladder/releases valve concept of that RZLP but sits lower and covers the bottom of the tank, unlike the RZLP.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=Hammz;13252401]Wanna sit lower with a seat that looks good & work well, look at the Danny Gray Airhawk Longhaul. It's real leather & has the hand pump/air bladder/releases valve concept of that RZLP but sits lower and covers the bottom of the tank, unlike the RZLP.

Hey Hammz that is a nice looking seat, good thing I didn't know about it at the time or I maybe riding on a DG. The whole bike looks nice and comfy, what is that (it maybe just the photo) on the right lower at the edge of the rad cooling duct outlet? Some type of edge protector?

Attached Thumbnails Reduced Reach Seat-image.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
rgregory
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a local upholstery guy and have your stock seat modified to fit you. That's what my wife did with her seat. She also bought a HD Reduced Reach seat and then returned it, it worked OK but looked like crap. She is 5'4''

Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

[QUOTE=Gwaxley;13253376]
Originally Posted by Hammz
Wanna sit lower with a seat that looks good & work well, look at the Danny Gray Airhawk Longhaul. It's real leather & has the hand pump/air bladder/releases valve concept of that RZLP but sits lower and covers the bottom of the tank, unlike the RZLP.

Hey Hammz that is a nice looking seat, good thing I didn't know about it at the time or I maybe riding on a DG. The whole bike looks nice and comfy, what is that (it maybe just the photo) on the right lower at the edge of the rad cooling duct outlet? Some type of edge protector?
It's just a reflection - crappy phone photo taken in the garage. More pics of the bike on my web site - http://www.hammz.net/My%20Bikes/mybikes.htm

Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

It's just a reflection - crappy phone photo taken in the garage. More pics of the bike on my web site - http://www.hammz.net/My%20Bikes/mybikes.htm

Oh ok, you never know when someone comes up with something new on here and you get to learn something Lol. Nice web site and bikes. :-)

Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wife has reduced reach seat, had it tapered at the back to match my C&C fastback seat

You can always go with C&C and get them to make it exactly how you want it. Mine moves me back 2" and down 1.75 inches.

Attached Thumbnails Reduced Reach Seat-img_7183.jpg