Sponsored by:

Stage 1 with stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 PM
toecat2000
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1 with stock mufflers

Has anyone tried a new AC, header pipes and tuner but left on the stock mufflers? I'm really just looking for more performance and slightly more sound. Plus i like the look of the mufflers. Wonder if the old mufflers would restrict the other changes?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:03 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

To each his own...

But IMHO, that is not a Stage 1. Stage one is 3 parts... intake, exhaust tune.

Stock mufflers are very restrictive.

Not saying it can't be done, get a tuner first, then so the rest in steps. You may find exactly what you are looking for.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know how it would sound with stocker pipes, if you don't like it I have a pair of 4" rineharts "chrome tipped" I would sell cheap.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Tuning will add performance & perhaps sound. remove cat some more sound
AC, maybe if the flow increases.
Header? usually as part of a set of changes including muffler

Old 09-24-2014, 01:47 AM
nicliv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xhere
Don't know how it would sound with stocker pipes, if you don't like it I have a pair of 4" rineharts "chrome tipped" I would sell cheap.
I might be interested in those, was just looking at them and Rush Big Louie's. What size baffles? PM me $? That is if the OP is not interested. Why the change from the Rineharts?

Last edited by nicliv; 09-24-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Question
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

The benefits:

Intake = air flow into the engine for better engine operation and performance
Tune = Fuel / Air mixture for smoother engine operation and performance
Headers = Reduces the heat for the rider/engine, improves the sound increases performance by getting the hot air moving out.
Slipons = Continues moving the exhaust out more quickly by less restriction and gives you the sound your looking for.

I think you need all three to achieve what most are looking for, better conditions for the engine by reducing the heat and improving the performance and sound.

And if done properly, fuel air mixture, i think my economy, when driving conservatively has improved by 12%.

Go to the HD dealer on a weekend there will probably be every reasonable exhaust system and headers there on someones bike. I did that and questioned a few riders and they offered to crank the bike so i actually heard my setup on my model bike before buying it.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,593 Likes on 765 Posts

You might check into American Customs; they take stock mufflers and fit them with changeable baffles. Are still stock in appearance, but sound good.
Tests indicate the stock air filter on the 103HO flows all the air the motor can use; something to think about...
If you plan on future mods, a tuner that can accommodate those changes would be good. If no engine mods are in your future, something as simple as the Xieds may be all you need, or not..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know - I am going to run counter to most opinions and say I think you have a reasonable plan if you like the looks and sound is not an issue. If you use an auto tuner it will adjust to the "actual" air flow and run very well. You won't have the loud, and maybe not as much final HP, but if that is ok with you go for it! As an example, I had a built 98" on an 02 ultra that I would put the stock muffs on when out west in Glacier and Yellowstone National park. I had a separate map for them, and it ran great - mileage even was better. It took two (not lightweights!) up and over the Beartooth with no issues at all.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I run the setup you are looking for and think its great but this subject will have a million different answers.
For me the sound is as loud as I would want it to be. Barks when you want it and quiet when you want it. I thru my 1 3/4 Rush mufflers on and it was way to loud and I truly think it was slower. Wouldn't mind trying out Fuel Moto's new E-3 mufflers but @ $600 I don't think so...

Old 09-24-2014, 05:31 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by toecat2000
Has anyone tried a new AC, header pipes and tuner but left on the stock mufflers? I'm really just looking for more performance and slightly more sound. Plus i like the look of the mufflers. Wonder if the old mufflers would restrict the other changes?
I wonder if the CVO slip-ons would be an improvement in flow over the stockers?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 with stock mufflers