Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? about the LED headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:07 AM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my bike in for the clutch recall. While it was in the shop they reprogrammed the lights to stay on and also activated aux input 3 and renamed it Zumo. So I can install my 665 Zumo.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i adjusted my light up a bit, I now like the low beam but the high beam is just way out there. I'm definitely in a search for a different headlight, I am just not happy with the cut off especially when riding the back roads around here at night that have no lighting on them. There's a lot of real dark corners that even at below the speed limit you're over driving the lights.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Park the bike on level ground 25' away from a vertical wall, preferably white.

With the bike sitting on level ground with you sitting on it, upright not on the kickstand, measure from the distance from the top of the light to the ground. Then turn the light on. You will see a horizontal beam pattern projected on the wall. Measure from the ground to this horizontal beam on the wall. This measurement should be the same as your first measurement at the bike. If it isn't, then you need to adjust it. If you are having trouble decking what to consider the top of the beam on the wall, choose the highest point. This in effect cheats it slightly downward.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 AM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A bit of an update on my lighting frustration. I finally got around to adjusting the passing lamps. It gave me better results than I was expecting. I now have much better lighting on low beam and high by aiming the passing lamps at the same point as the low beam. It's very close to the lighting I had on my previous bike running PIA bulbs. This also helped with the previously dimly lit area in front of the bike when on high beam. I'm still not overly excited about the tight beam pattern on high beam. But at least now I have light to ride confidently by at night. I have not been at all confident riding after dark on this bike until now. Now if I could get the low beam to stay lit when on high beam I believe I'd have all the light I could ever need. I've been wondering if using a relay, piloted by the high beam power circuit, would work to keep power applied to the low beam. I'm not at all familiar with this canbus stuff so I don't know if it will work or not. But I'm thinking if I run a dedicated power source through the relay and isolate it from the normal power circuit to the low beam the canbus system would not see anything abnormal when switched to high beam. Can anyone weigh in that has knowledge of canbus and what obstacles I can expect?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 PM
ultramotive
Advanced

I find it incredible that HD made such a fantastic motorcycle and put such a sub par lighting system on it. Why would they have the low beam shut off when the high is turned on? It makes no sense. That high beam is useless without the aux lights being on at the same time. And it is still not great with the aux lights on.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM
burleyburl1
Advanced

I am ready to upgrade the lighting on my 2000 road king and cant decide to go with the duel bulb halogen or led,any sugestions

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by burleyburl1
I am ready to upgrade the lighting on my 2000 road king and cant decide to go with the duel bulb halogen or led,any sugestions
stay away from the OEM light on the 2014. it's useless.

it's a little rectangle, and if you get on the brakes/gas, the rectangle is so small, it moves too low or too high to be able to see.
and it's so low, you overdrive the high beam in any normal turn, slow or fast.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ultramotive
Why would they have the low beam shut off when the high is turned on? It makes no sense
It is illegal in some areas.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 PM
ultramotive
Advanced

If true, and I would need to see how the law is worded, that says more about lawmakers making laws about things they know little about. But in practicality in makes no sense.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have to see it in writing with my own eyes to believe it could be illegal in any state to have the low beam lit at the same time as the high beam. Most cars and trucks that I have owned or seen on the road light up both on high beam. Like was already mentioned above. It would be absolutely pointless to be illegal. While it seems to be common practice with law makers from state to state to make up their own little special rules for motorcycle riders I cannot think of one instance where an auto manufacturer has to do the same. Front license plate being the only example I can think of as some states do not require a front plate. Pretty sure when it comes to headlights and tail lights it's all determined on the federal level. But I could be wrong. It's happened already in the last 10 minutes!

Quick Reply: ??? about the LED headlight