Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? about the LED headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Daymaker Reflector. It is better than the Trucklight P7 I had on my last bike and can be seen in the daylight, and is light years better than the dual halogen that came stock. It doesn't light up the road as far out as the Daymaker Projector, but is way better out to the sides of the bike in turns.

Honestly, I don't think there is a perfect solution...but I'm super happy with the Reflector! And I don't have the driving lights.

Have any of you guys considered removing the Daymaker LED's from your driving lights and replacing them with some bright halogens? I know it wouldn't look as nice with the different colors, but I'll bet it works really good at filling up the gaps! Just a thought.

67pnyman....you still haven't got those scratches fixed??? Man I feel for you brother!

Last edited by Roger That; 09-23-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure about replacing the LED driving lights with halogen, but it's a thought. They are very bright but the pattern and/or the adjustment just isn't cutting it. I need to make a socket so I can re-aim them and just haven't had the time. I will say that I really like a lot of light - I tend to ride long distances and unfortunately sometimes at night. The moose, mule deer and elk - not to mention cattle just scare the crap out of me. Last year on my bmw (on which I had SIX lights mounted) I was cruising about 65mph on a pitch black road out on the edge of the desert and came up on a herd of cattle that I didn't see until I was about 200' away from. Get this - those cows were all so covered in dirt and mud that they were actually earth colored.... Whoever that rancher is he must lose a cow a week or more leaving them open range dirty like that. Up in the mountains on a different ride I came up on a female moose standing in the middle of the road.... That's a funny feeling when you're standing there on your motorcycle looking directly at a moose that's at eye level with you looking right back at you and wondering who is going to give ground first....lol.... I passed that moose going about 10mph and about 5' away from the handlebar while she just kept looking right at me... I'm surprised I didn't get head butted by her... Anyway, my point is, I want real usable bright light, and while I understand traffic concerns with the low beam, in my (humble) opinion, high beam should just be huge amounts of light and filled out in a pattern to support riding a motorcycle leaning around corners and far enough out to give you time to stop should there be a mud colored cow or an adult moose standing in your lane in the pitch dark.

Just my opinion, of course....

Old 09-24-2014, 04:28 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just upgraded my stock headlight to the Daymaker Reflector and also added the passing lamps with the Daymaker Reflector bulbs. IMO it is a huge improvement over the stock dual halogen bulb. On a past SG, I had the TL7's and the headlight pattern left some to be desired in curves. The Reflector is better for this, maybe not perfect but better. Adding the passing lamps makes an even bigger impact for improving visibility right in front of you and in curves. I just got my bike flashed so the passing lights stay on with the high beams. Haven't had a chance to run in the dark yet with it to see how things work with the high beams now. I'm trying to figure out why HD put the Projector bulbs as stock on a few models. They do look great and put out a ton of light, but my guess is that HD knows that putting those on would entice some folks to buy the models with those compared to those without. And they also know that some folks who have them as stock will find it easier to justify spending the money to change the bulbs over to Reflector ones since they didn't have to buy the Projectors separately. In the end they are still making their money.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser

I'm with you all on the lighting with the LED's. My dealer won't program my passing lights to work with the high beams. i need the extra light as i do a lot of driving at night. also the high beam cut off is so drastic, that mostly i ride with low beam & passing lights.
Don't know if this will work, but i am considering making a harness that would connect to and power the high beam, and have it switched by a relay tripped by the low beam. this way i could have the high beam, low beam, and passing lights all at the same time.
my only concern is that this might cause a fault/error code with no light connected to the original high beam harness.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokingpig
I'm with you all on the lighting with the LED's. My dealer won't program my passing lights to work with the high beams. i need the extra light as i do a lot of driving at night. also the high beam cut off is so drastic, that mostly i ride with low beam & passing lights.
Don't know if this will work, but i am considering making a harness that would connect to and power the high beam, and have it switched by a relay tripped by the low beam. this way i could have the high beam, low beam, and passing lights all at the same time.
my only concern is that this might cause a fault/error code with no light connected to the original high beam harness.
Find another dealer. Mine does it on every bike they sell. Someone will do it for you. Where in WI are you? I have a friend that works at the dealer in Manitowok.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
I love my Daymaker Reflector. It is better than the Trucklight P7 I had on my last bike and can be seen in the daylight, and is light years better than the dual halogen that came stock. It doesn't light up the road as far out as the Daymaker Projector, but is way better out to the sides of the bike in turns.

Honestly, I don't think there is a perfect solution...but I'm super happy with the Reflector! And I don't have the driving lights.

Have any of you guys considered removing the Daymaker LED's from your driving lights and replacing them with some bright halogens? I know it wouldn't look as nice with the different colors, but I'll bet it works really good at filling up the gaps! Just a thought.

67pnyman....you still haven't got those scratches fixed??? Man I feel for you brother!

Its in the shop as we speak. Dealer called yesterday to update me. The fairing and fender is fixed. They are waiting on a new lower to come in, they replaced my fender chrome and they are removing the tourpack to have it painted. They wouldn't order me a new tourpack or fairing, they assured me that the painter is licensed to paint HD colors and they send all their work to him. They also assured me that if anything goes wrong it would be warrantied by the MOCO. Once it gets back and I inspect it to my satisfaction and they put the paint warranty down on paper, I will be good to go. Oh yeah, they also gave me a replacement ultra limited to putt around on while mine is in the shop.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Find another dealer. Mine does it on every bike they sell. Someone will do it for you. Where in WI are you? I have a friend that works at the dealer in Manitowok.
Afdharley, i'm in oregon, all three dealers in area won't do it... i'm planning a trip to montana next summer, going to try to find one along the way that will do it...

Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wonder why they won't do that for you? Mine did it to my bike before I picked it up. I didn't even know they could do that. The salesman told me it was already set up to keep the passing lights on when I told him one of the first mods I planned to do was change the passing lamps to stay on with high beams.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Fireboater
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Programming

My Dealership stated that having the Driving Lights on at the same time as the High beam cannot be done,I think they are blowing smoke.Anyone know how to program them?
Thanks
John

Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 AM
mavantix
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you adjust the main LED headlight up on the rushmore's? I haven't looked at it, do you have to take it apart? My new 2015 FLHTK feels like it's pointing at the ground under the front tire! It's hard to see the damn road at night. Thanks!

Quick Reply: ??? about the LED headlight