Sponsored by:

Left bag fell off.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Kraig76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left bag fell off.....

Still running with paper plates on a 3 week old bike and I took the bags off this morning to clean everything, then put them back on. This is not the first time I've removed them and I know the damn pins were tight when I put them back in. Rode over 100 miles then saw something out of the corner of my eye... bag flying up in the air and sliding across 3 lanes, luckily with no cars, thank god.
So I'm going to be looking for a new way to secure these bags, as I don't believe the Dzuz fasteners are the best way to go. Not only is this going to costly to me, but this was downright dangerous for other drivers on the road.
I know I'm not the first person this has happened to, and I was wondering if people think the dealership would be willing to help me out on this one?

Last edited by Kraig76; 09-22-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Here come the Brukus people.....

A nut, bolt and fender washer will save you loads of heartache. I doubt the dealer will do much for you but you could be pleasantly surprised.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow! sorry to hear that. I hope you can get this taken care of without too much hassle.

I have the same feeling when I take my off and put them back on....are they going to fall off?

I think I will look into some type of an extra strap or something.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:23 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Dzus fasteners are commonly used in aviation. They are proven to be reliable and effective, but they do require full engagement to work. They would not be used in the aviation industry unless they were completely reliable.

Any bolt system can loosen up over time with vibration. I would stick with the dzus over bolts. I have never had a dzus come loose that was properly engaged. I can't say the same thing about bolts, including the Brukus bolts.

And I feel your pain. Some lessons come hard. The most painful dents dings and prangs are the ones we cause ourselves.

The dealer will probably not help you out since the improper engagement of the dzus fasteners was not done by one of their employees.

Get in the habit of not just turning until tight, but you must also make a conscious note to yourself that you have felt the spring snap into place. Once you have that ingrained as a habit you will never loose another bag. But for extra insurance get the bag guards.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 09-21-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Bag rails .............

Old 09-21-2014, 01:42 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the stock Dzus fasteners on my 1995 Dresser I've never had that problem, I think I've seen three or four posts about bags coming off here this year, and they seem to be later model bikes.
I just don't understand what is happening here unless they are not properly engaged, I always give a gentle shake and pull on my bags to be sure they are engaged.
I'm not saying you didn't engage them properly, I'm wondering if something has changed in the design of the spring that they hook onto.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a set off ebay for $15 and installed one on each bag this morning and I'm going to give the other two to my brother so he can install one on each bag. I don't see the need for two on each bag as the one will hold the bag on quite well by itself. So if you have a buddy you can each secure your bags for $15 shipped to your door.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,078 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Kraig76
I was wondering if people think the dealership would be willing to help me out on this one?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Kraig76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I ordered a set off ebay for $15 and installed one on each bag this morning and I'm going to give the other two to my brother so he can install one on each bag. I don't see the need for two on each bag as the one will hold the bag on quite well by itself. So if you have a buddy you can each secure your bags for $15 shipped to your door.
Ordered a set of what? I think I'm missing something here... And I'm kind of with oldwarrior here... this is happening too much for everyone to be retarded... I KNOW those fasteners were turned all the way before I took off this morning... I've always been sure to pay special attention to those because they've never seemed particularly safe to me in the first place...

Old 09-21-2014, 01:54 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya i ordered the brukus lock bolts for this exact reason.

Quick Reply: Left bag fell off.....