Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors

I've decided to make this post in an effort to help someone with a new Power Vision tuner be able to figure out how to go about tuning your bike. I found the PV sticky to have a mixture of outdated and obsolete information, along with correct info. Example: Both a Dynojet and FuelMoto rep. told me that "PV Log Tuner" is obsolete, and no longer supported. IMO, the correct information was hard to find in the 6000+ posts. If you have a new PV with current firmware that runs Autotune, then this should help you understand the path I followed, giving me pleasing results.

Power Vision Tuning Process (Stock O2 Sensors)

1. Select a base starting tune (Dynojet, Fuelmoto, Copy of Original, etc.). Be sure to load the tune into WinPV then go to the menu tab / Upgrade Tune Using PV. Then you'll be sure your base tune has all of the needed tables. Then flash this updated tune to your bike. Reset Fuel and Idle trims.

2. Run AT for 20 min. then save learned. Then flash the learned file and run AT again for 20 min. Continue until VE tables change 5% or less. You can also set the AutoTune minimum map to 40Kpa to minimize decel issues.

3. Decide if/where you plan to run Closed Loop (14.6) and adjust AFR table accordingly. The instruction presumes that you’ll be running Closed Loop through some portion of your cruise range.

4. If seeking MPG, change the cruise portion of Closed Loop Bias table to 450. If seeking more performance, you may want to edit them to a higher number like 700 or run open loop in your AFR table.

5. Record Logs and look for Knock Events. You can use Log Tuner to autotune your spark tables if you make these edits or use Excel or MegaLogViewer to view your CSV log files. Adjust timing manually via WinPV or with Quick Tune. Minus timing to reduce Knock Events, plus timing to find the knock threshold and then reduce timing slightly.

6. Address decel popping based upon whether or not it’s caused by a rich AFR table or a lean AFR table.

Popping due to Rich AFR Table @ 20Kpa (not so common)
Set 20Kpa column to 14.0
If decel popping improved with the AFR setting change, you may need just a bit higher number to eliminate it completely
Plus (+3) timing in Quick Tune may also help

Popping due to Lean AFR Table @ 20Kpa (most common)
Enrichen AFR Table @ 20Kpa manually in WinPV
13.0 at 750 rpm – 1125 rpm
12.8 at 1250 rpm – 2000 rpm
12.5 at 2250 rpm – 6000 rpm
Or, use Quick Tune to add +5 to the Decel column of Fuel

Add 3 to the 15Kpa column on both the front & rear spark tables
Or, use Quick Tune to add +3 to the Decel column of Spark

Once you have Decel Popping stopped, you can play with finding the richness/leaness threshold of the above parameters to prevent an overly rich or unnecessarily lean condition.

7. If your want to dial in your tune to a higher level than covered through step #6, Quick Tune can be used to change a wide variety of parameters

8. Anytime Quick Tune is used to make changes that are desired to be kept, you have to save a “Copy of Current” to your PV. Download the saved copy into WinPV and save/name it.

Last edited by rwt; 07-23-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Correct an omission
The following 2 users liked this post by rwt:
borno (12-22-2016), slippin_jimmy (02-19-2019)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
....1. Select and load a base starting tune (Dynojet, Fuelmoto, Copy of Original, etc.). Be sure the downloaded tune has all of the tables you wish to use (some Dynojet and FuelMoto tunes have missing “tune items”)
The first thing you should be doing is to load the tune into WinPV then go to the PowerVision menu tab / Upgrade Tune Using PV....

You have no idea how old the tune is that you would like to use and all the tables are compatible with the latest version of WinPV you are using. Doing this will ensure that all the latest tables are added to the tune.

Also you should set the Minimum MAP to 30Kpa in Auto Tune settings to prevent erroneous data in the decal area.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
The first thing you should be doing is to load the tune into WinPV then go to the PowerVision menu tab / Upgrade Tune Using PV....
Good point. That's how to be sure you have all of the correct tables. I'll make the edit to the first post.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 AM
topfun
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
I've decided to make this post in an effort to help someone with a new Power Vision tuner be able to figure out how to go about tuning your bike. I found the PV sticky to have a mixture of outdated and obsolete information, along with correct info. Example: Both a Dynojet and FuelMoto rep. told me that "PV Log Tuner" is obsolete, and no longer supported. IMO, the correct information was hard to find in the 6000+ posts. If you have a new PV with current firmware that runs Autotune, then this should help you understand the path I followed, giving me pleasing results.

Power Vision Tuning Process (Stock O2 Sensors)

1. Select a base starting tune (Dynojet, Fuelmoto, Copy of Original, etc.). Be sure to load the tune into WinPV then go to the menu tab / Upgrade Tune Using PV. Then you'll be sure your base tune has all of the needed tables. Then flash this updated tune to your bike.

2. Run AT for 20 min. then save learned. Then flash the learned file and run AT again for 20 min. Continue until VE tables change 5% or less. You can also set the AutoTune minimum map to 40Kpa to minimize decel issues.

3. Decide if/where you plan to run Closed Loop (14.6) and adjust AFR table accordingly. The instruction presumes that you’ll be running Closed Loop through some portion of your cruise range.

4. If seeking MPG, change the cruise portion of Closed Loop Bias table to 450. If seeking more performance, you may want to edit them to a higher number like 700 or run open loop in your AFR table.

5. Record Logs and look for Knock Events. You can use Excel or MegaLogViewer to view your CSV log files. Adjust timing manually via WinPV or with Quick Tune. Minus timing to reduce Knock Events, plus timing to find the knock threshold and then reduce timing slightly.

6. Address decel popping based upon whether or not it’s caused by a rich AFR table or a lean AFR table.

Popping due to Rich AFR Table @ 20Kpa (not so common)
Set 20Kpa column to 14.0
If decel popping improved with the AFR setting change, you may need just a bit higher number to eliminate it completely
Plus (+3) timing in Quick Tune may also help

Popping due to Lean AFR Table @ 20Kpa (most common)
Enrichen AFR Table @ 20Kpa manually in WinPV
13.0 at 750 rpm – 1125 rpm
12.8 at 1250 rpm – 2000 rpm
12.5 at 2250 rpm – 6000 rpm
Or, use Quick Tune to add +5 to the Decel column of Fuel

Add 3 to the 15Kpa column on both the front & rear spark tables
Or, use Quick Tune to add +3 to the Decel column of Spark

Once you have Decel Popping stopped, you can play with finding the richness/leaness threshold of the above parameters to prevent an overly rich or unnecessarily lean condition.

7. If your want to dial in your tune to a higher level than covered through step #6, Quick Tune can be used to change a wide variety of parameters

8. Anytime Quick Tune is used to make changes that are desired to be kept, you have to save a “Copy of Current” to your PV. Download the saved copy into WinPV and save/name it.
Perfect.... Tag it

Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There isn't a CLB table in my tables or tunes.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:37 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
There isn't a CLB table in my tables or tunes.
You are correct. It is called closed loop lambda range now. On another note the best way to correct decel pop is the change the decel enleanment table. If popping make the numbers smaller by about 0.2 in the engine temp. area it is popping in. If not sure or doing it at any temp just reduce the decel enleanment multiplier by 0.2. If you aren't experiencing any pop just leave it alone.

I know lot of folks are going to argue this point, but if you set the afr target on the afr table outside the range of the O2 sensor that you are running you really aren't accomplishing anything. The only time you can do that is if you have a wideband O2 sensor on a dyno or some of the tuners that will manage the widebands. On either one you still have to have a map that is reasonably close on the VE tables to start with. The dyno operator puts in a base map close as he can get. The Thunder Max has a base map. If you are running a Stage 1 on the Thunder Max and go to a stage 2, 3, or 4 you will need another base map that is close enough that the bike will run well enough to tune itself.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

The decel enleanment table is used to eliminate the pop when you shift. The de and ae table only affect transitional fueling and are only active for ms.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
The decel enleanment table is used to eliminate the pop when you shift. The de and ae table only affect transitional fueling and are only active for ms.
You are correct on the acceleration enrichment. The decel enleanment is only active at less than 3% throttle. Here is the page number from TTS manual has this on page 48 if you need to look it up. I have been using decel enleanment to stop decel pop for 3 or 4 years on lots of maps.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

The directions on page 48 state to "temporarily remove fuel when throttle is closed". It's hard to see with a snap shot of the data. here is a pic of that strip data and one from exporting the data. You can see it is only active for a short time. If you have some TTS data you can see what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors-de-graph.jpg   Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors-de.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
The directions on page 48 state to "temporarily remove fuel when throttle is closed". It's hard to see with a snap shot of the data. here is a pic of that strip data and one from exporting the data. You can see it is only active for a short time. If you have some TTS data you can see what I mean.
This the page 48 of TTS manual I was looking at. I doesn't say it monentarily does it. Either way it works the same in POwer Vision, TTS, and SEPST. Have used it many times and it works everytime. If you look at the instant fuel mpg on the PV in real time and have too much fuel being added in at 0 throttle while coasting it will read 30 to 40 mpg. A normal reading is 120 mpg or more. There is no need to richen it up any more than necessary. What would be the point in it only being done momentarily. To stop the pop on shift you need to richen the VE table in the area where you are shifting a few percent. Unless you let up all the way on the throttle to shift the decel enleanment won't come into play. From what I remember on doing some data logging the decel enleanment drops out at about 1800 RPM's or when you advance the throttle slightly. If you have pipes that are bad about decel popping and get it to where it doesn't by adjusting the DE while shifting down and coasting at 0 throttle and no pop just crack the throttle about 5% and watch what happens. Had a guy once who was having decel pop on SEPST and true duals. I made some adjustments to the decel table and rode bike and no pop on engine braking. He got on it and it went to popping. He was not letting the throttle go all the way and was holding slight opening.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors-decel-enleanment-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors