Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about CVO SE Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about CVO SE Mufflers

I'm looking at 2 different take-off CVO SE mufflers for my Ultra. The mufflers look identical on the outside except one has the chrome end caps and the other has the black end caps. When looking at the output end, there is a difference.

On one, the inner baffle (small pipe) ends well inside the muffler like in top pic below. You could take off the end cap, and the baffle would still not be protruding past the end of the bare muffler itself.

On the other muffler in bottom pic, the baffle portion (small pipe) protrudes well past the bare muffler and almost to the end of the end cap. I know this one came off a 2013 CVO Road Glide.

Does anyone know why these two seemingly similar mufflers are different in baffle/inner pipe length? I wonder if it would make a difference in the sound at all. Although I am buying these more for cosmetic rather than sound reasons, it just seems strange that they are so different. Any ideas why?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Aftermarket performance baffles?

Any signs of 3 screws and nuts holding the baffle attached to the can?

If I am correct, I think in 2013 they may have changed the CVO baffles a little bit.

YB

Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
JRSIMPSON
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same ones, with the black tips and my baffles look the same, but I have fulsac baffles too. My factory baffles were like the picture you have of the chrome tips, the baffle was back in there a ways. If they both have stock baffles, you will be dissapointed in the sound. They sounded no different than my factory RKC mufflers. Sounded like a honda!

2" fullsac baffles and they sound nice and deep but not to loud at all.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master

I fully expect these mufflers to be as quiet as my regular mufflers. That's the reason I'm looking at these OEM take-offs instead of aftermarket. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like regular/quieter pipes on a touring bike.

If I did decide to do full-sacs down the road, the mufflers with the extended baffles seem like they would be more difficult to remove because the lack of room needed to reach the welds with a dremel.

I just thought it was odd that they did the newer 2013 mufflers with the extended baffles. I don't really see a reason for it.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold a set of CVO mufflers off of my 2012 and the look exactly like the first picture you have up with the chrome tips.

My $0.02, I know you don't want loud, but if you're going to change the header, A/C, tuner, etc, then I would get the fullsac cores, if not you're wasting time and money because the stock baffles in these mufflers are VERY restrictive.

Look for forum member Jswerve's thread on the baffle he pulled out of his.

FM

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I just sold a set of CVO mufflers off of my 2012 and the look exactly like the first picture you have up with the chrome tips.

My $0.02, I know you don't want loud, but if you're going to change the header, A/C, tuner, etc, then I would get the fullsac cores, if not you're wasting time and money because the stock baffles in these mufflers are VERY restrictive.

Look for forum member Jswerve's thread on the baffle he pulled out of his.

FM
Thanks for the mention of Jswerve's thread. That will be helpful if I decide to do the full-sacs. Right now, my plan to to use one of these OEM mufflers and then de-cat or replace the head pipes with V&H dresser duals or something similar. I'm doing this for heat reduction. Replacing the head pipes should give me a small amount of sound increase even with these OEM pipes. I don't plan to do anything with the intake, so I won't need a tuner.

To be honest, I'm replacing these mufflers for a couple of reasons. 1. The take-offs are fairly cheap, and 2. I just like the look of the 4" mufflers better than the current small tapered OEM mufflers. I have no expectations of these mufflers being much louder or increasing performance.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 11-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2012 cvo mufflers that i re-cord with 2" full sac baffles. Simple job and its still quiet compaired to lets say rinehart. I just pullled the cat out of the headpipe and its still quiet, but doesnt sound like a Metric. I too wanted a more suttle sound. I have had bikes that were loud and these right now seem to fit the bill. I know thats not what your original question was but just figured the video would show the stock baffle tip and then the full sac baffle tip.

Last edited by pontiac69; 11-29-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2012 CVO and it is like the top picture,
I noticed a 2013 CVO in the dealership look like the bottom picture,
I'm sure it means nothing in sound difference, since all stock mufflers have to meet EPA sound standards.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
I fully expect these mufflers to be as quiet as my regular mufflers. That's the reason I'm looking at these OEM take-offs instead of aftermarket. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like regular/quieter pipes on a touring bike.
I'm following your thread because I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I like the sound of my stock exhaust, but I would like to get Fuelmotor header for the heat.

Beary

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide

If I did decide to do full-sacs down the road, the mufflers with the extended baffles seem like they would be more difficult to remove because the lack of room needed to reach the welds with a dremel.

I just thought it was odd that they did the newer 2013 mufflers with the extended baffles. I don't really see a reason for it.
I just did what you are wanting to do.

Installed a brand new set of take offs because I wanted quieter on my touring bike. I replaced 50 State slipons.

I had previously had V&H PD (no cat) and SE255 just installed. I am going to ride a bit and then have my tuner take a look to ascertain if I lost any power.

I will say that are quieter, but not Honda sounding at all.

Quick Reply: Question about CVO SE Mufflers