Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 AM
gm9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
32k when first bought
Not bad. I don't know that you can get "out the door" for less on a Triglide.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gm9
Not bad. I don't know that you can get "out the door" for less on a Triglide.
When I was doing some conversion shopping I was serioiusly interested in a DFT conversion. It was going to cost me 18 big ones.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That price was with the added tour pack, reverse gear installed. The bike was 18.5k the reverse gear was $1500 I installed the rake kit for 695 and then the rest was the trike kit.

There is additional money I since had to spend money to fix the poor weld on the shifter paw that failed. The engine that had a twisted crank because Harley uses a cheap designed crank. Built myself a strong 117" because of that.

Am I partial to my trike absolutely. I have one that stands out from others. I bought and built mine for the long haul. My last touring bike I had before my hit n run that took my leg I rode for 250k miles. That Electraglide is still running and being ridden today

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 04-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:09 PM
RideCSC
Stage III

If you guys insist on being told "____ isn't covered under warranty", you can always buy a trike kit and purchase an aftermarket warranty like Pinnacle - 3 years for $300 or so. Not to mention with a good kit, you can pull a trailer without the warranty ***** coming for you.

Regardless, my dealer says that it's up to dealer discretion to honor a warranty and the high quality kits like CSC are typically honored under warranty.

IMO, bolting a solid axle to a transmission and praying that it holds up like the HD Triglide is similar to playing Russian Roulette... not to mention that it rides like a pickup truck compared to some of the aftermarket IRS kits. I visited a dealer in TN that had 4 busted Tri-glide transmission cases in his shop at the same time earlier this year.

As far as looks... The tri-glide looks like it got rear-ended. The short wheel base isn't ideal for handling, but it just looks plain goofy.

To each his own, but this is my idea of fantastic:

Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 AM
jlgale
Tourer

I was going to use a Lehman kit for my '05 Road King. At the last second I pulled the plug on the order and traded it in for a '12 TG. Glad I did! Big part of why I did, was the frame was all one piece and the warranty. Always like to ride with my iPod and know I don't have to wear earplugs.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jlgale
I was going to use a Lehman kit for my '05 Road King. At the last second I pulled the plug on the order and traded it in for a '12 TG. Glad I did! Big part of why I did, was the frame was all one piece and the warranty. Always like to ride with my iPod and know I don't have to wear earplugs.
Actually the Triglide frame is 3 sections, front, intermediate and rear. It is however built to be a Trike, it has been strengthened more than its 2 wheel brothers.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RideCSC
If you guys insist on being told "____ isn't covered under warranty", you can always buy a trike kit and purchase an aftermarket warranty like Pinnacle - 3 years for $300 or so. Not to mention with a good kit, you can pull a trailer without the warranty ***** coming for you.

Regardless, my dealer says that it's up to dealer discretion to honor a warranty and the high quality kits like CSC are typically honored under warranty.

IMO, bolting a solid axle to a transmission and praying that it holds up like the HD Triglide is similar to playing Russian Roulette... not to mention that it rides like a pickup truck compared to some of the aftermarket IRS kits. I visited a dealer in TN that had 4 busted Tri-glide transmission cases in his shop at the same time earlier this year.

As far as looks... The tri-glide looks like it got rear-ended. The short wheel base isn't ideal for handling, but it just looks plain goofy.

To each his own, but this is my idea of fantastic:

Hmmm...I did not know my axle was bolted to my transmission Some of these pickup trucks ride pretty darn good The busted transmission cases must be a TN thing. Never heard of that around here and there is a ton of Tri Glides in this area. You have to be kidding about the handling, these things handle like a vette!!! But you are right about one thing, (To each his own)

Old 05-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Big ALbert
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make a anniversary 2013 model a guy down the street from me has one

Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RideCSC may have made an **** of himself. To each his own.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
RideCSC may have made an **** of himself. To each his own.

It's quite obvious Jim he does not have a clue what he is talking about. People like that scare me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri-Glide or trike a bike?