Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'm thinking I have bastard Stage 1 kit because the left brake line isn't long enough. What it looks like is there is supposed to be a left side and a right side caliper and me being the lucky fellow I am I have 2 right side calipers because they are identical and the part number on the packages is identical. The pictures are the caliper mounted on the left side and as close as the brake line will come to hooking up, this is really starting to try my patients. So it looks like I'll have more to talk with PM about when I call tomorrow.

That's odd, I was able to get both ends connected, but, the right side had slack but the left side was tight, which had me thinking that I had them reversed but then the bangos would have been facing wrong. The extra slack I had on the right side should have been on the left. Go figure.
I was out running around today as well as yesterday and both day I had a soft pedal after about a hour of running around.
So tomorrow when I call PM and I don't get and answer from them then I know you chowed their ears off and they can't hear my phone call.
Butch

Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
That's odd, I was able to get both ends connected, but, the right side had slack but the left side was tight, which had me thinking that I had them reversed but then the bangos would have been facing wrong. The extra slack I had on the right side should have been on the left. Go figure.
I was out running around today as well as yesterday and both day I had a soft pedal after about a hour of running around.
So tomorrow when I call PM and I don't get and answer from them then I know you chowed their ears off and they can't hear my phone call.
Butch
I'll be chewing on them today, heck the Triglide has both a right and left caliper.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

M3...Did you polish your brake rotors, they are shiny and new looking.
Here is a picture of my groved setup, they have a little rust on them but that will clean off when start using them.
Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000704-640x480-.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

M3...Did you polish your brake rotors, they are shiny and new looking.
Here is a picture of my groved setup, they have a little rust on them but that will clean off when start using them.
Butch
They are shiny and new, figured if I was putting new brake system on I may as well cough up the $$$$$ and get new rotors. HD sure has a racket going, I've never paid for rotors what I paid for the new HD ones its a crime.

I talked with PM today and found out you can swap the bleeder and the banjo bolt on the calipers, so that solves my short brake line problem. The guy I talked with (Steve) was going to get with someone from R&D about the master cylinder, he was also going to look at their trike. I told him their web site has a different master cyl than the one they are putting in the kit, and the one in on their site is what should be in the kit. He said someone should get back with me.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

They are shiny and new, figured if I was putting new brake system on I may as well cough up the $$$$$ and get new rotors. HD sure has a racket going, I've never paid for rotors what I paid for the new HD ones its a crime.

I talked with PM today and found out you can swap the bleeder and the banjo bolt on the calipers, so that solves my short brake line problem. The guy I talked with (Steve) was going to get with someone from R&D about the master cylinder, he was also going to look at their trike. I told him their web site has a different master cyl than the one they are putting in the kit, and the one in on their site is what should be in the kit. He said someone should get back with me.
That's good to know, I'll be changing out the left bleeder and banjo soon I hope, I'll wait and see what PM comes up with. I talked with Rick this morning and according to him the master cylinder on the web sight is an early model and that as far as he knows the one we have is the correct one, he too is getting with R&M about our problem. Thank you for the info on switching around the banjo and bleeder.
Butch

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Thank you for the info on switching around the banjo and bleeder.
Butch
Your more than welcome, this is the great thing about these sites is the sharing of information.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info you posted about the rear breaks. I have new rotors sitting here to do a break job. The PM stage one looks good. Please let us know what you think of it once you get it installed and try it out. Thanks again! John

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rockwall TG John
Thanks for all the info you posted about the rear breaks. I have new rotors sitting here to do a break job. The PM stage one looks good. Please let us know what you think of it once you get it installed and try it out. Thanks again! John
The PM rear brake system works great when it's working properly. But after an hour of running around (55 mph or less) I end up with a soft brake pedal. When the trike has cooled down the brake pedal is firm again, would you call that a air problem? The biggest problem I have is with the back of the PM master cylinder being so close to the header. I could be wrong but I think there is a heat problem, also they say that the master cylinder was designed only for the stock headers which I have a problem with. At this time I do have the stock header on.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-10-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

they say that the master cylinder was designed only for the stock headers which I have a problem with. At this time I do have the stock header on.
Butch
Strange, their show trike that they developed the brake system doesn't run a stock head pipe. None the less they are barking up the wrong tree, yesterday when I was talking to them I mentioned that they need to give the location some more thought because a bone stock Triglide will have exhaust hotter than the blue blazes of hell. I haven't heard anything back yet, will call them again either tomorrow or Thursday. I did however swap the banjo bolt and bleeder on the left caliper with no problem, all I need it a final answer on the master cylinder and I'll be done.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Strange, their show trike that they developed the brake system doesn't run a stock head pipe. None the less they are barking up the wrong tree, yesterday when I was talking to them I mentioned that they need to give the location some more thought because a bone stock Triglide will have exhaust hotter than the blue blazes of hell. I haven't heard anything back yet, will call them again either tomorrow or Thursday. I did however swap the banjo bolt and bleeder on the left caliper with no problem, all I need it a final answer on the master cylinder and I'll be done.
I wondered if that wasn't what they modeled they're master cylinder from. After making the comments to Rockwell about the heat affecting the braking system I got to thinking that maybe I should check the system again so I did, boy what a job. I first tried to take the hex screws off, no luck, couldn't get to them very well, so I ended taking off the lower fairing and then I was able to get to the hex screws, the front one no problem but the back one was work. Some one with fat fingers will have a time of it. Any way...brother and I checked the bleeders and the banjo bolts and found no air in the system. For those watching this episode here are a few pictures of PM's master cylinder in it resting position on the trike as you can see it's hiding.
Performance Machine

Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000765-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000767-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000769-640x480-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes